‘a New Player’? First Version Of Miami Dolphins’ Jerome Baker Was Pretty Good | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘a New Player’? First Version Of Miami Dolphins’ Jerome Baker Was Pretty Good

Incredibly overrated in my opinion. Speed is the only thing I see in this guy, which is more than I see in Raekwon. Hopefully I am completely wrong on both accounts.

Incredibly overrated in my opinion. Speed is the only thing I see in this guy, which is more than I see in Raekwon. Hopefully I am completely wrong on both accounts.

Speed is the single most important attribute in NFL football.

And Kwon sheds blocks.

Last edited:
Good player. It's interesting that his rookie season was very similar to Derrick Rodgers' rookie season in '97. Both 3rd round picks. Same size and skillset also. Essentially the same linebacker.

Both could be decent caliber starters in certain defenses as run & chase linebackers. But nothing to get too excited about.

Good player. It's interesting that his rookie season was very similar to Derrick Rodgers' rookie season in '97. Both 3rd round picks. Same size and skillset also. Essentially the same linebacker.

Both could be decent caliber starters in certain defenses as run & chase linebackers. But nothing to get too excited about.

And he is our best linebacker according to some... You guys dont see a problem with that? Can we be succesful on defense with him as our best linebacker? I dont think we can but maybe I am wrong.

And he is our best linebacker according to some... You guys dont see a problem with that? Can we be succesful on defense with him as our best linebacker? I dont think we can but maybe I am wrong.

Jerome has pro bowl potential and is absolutely a young player to be very excited about, he was a great draft pick.

The line-backing corps while far from great isn't going to be the defenses weak spot, getting to the QB on the other hand...

I agree. But I tend to have a preference for great linebackers. Miami hasn't since they signed the late great Junior Seau to come play for 'em. A guy like Jerome Baker being my best linebacker would never be my goal.

He very well may have been Miami's best linebacker last year. Likely will be again this year. But they're not competing for anything either are they...

Ideally, a linebacker like Baker ranks somewhere around halfway on your 11 man defense in terms of where he stacks up as the best player on that unit if you're competing for championships. Certainly won't be your clear cut best linebacker.

If the new regime manages to build your team into a legitimate winner - Baker won't be the best linebacker. I'll bet high on it.

Would like to see him used in blitz packages more. He had some nice pressures in the limited chances I remember,

“Dolphins outside linebacker Jerome Baker was listed at just 215 pounds as a rookie last season, but with a new coaching staff bringing a new defense, Baker says he’s getting bigger.

Baker said he’s lifting weights to bulk up and was at 227 pounds in minicamp.

“I feel like a new player, honestly,” Baker said, via the Palm Beach Post. “I feel stronger. I feel faster. . . . I got in the weight room a lot. That was my main thing, just working out as much as I can and hopefully improve so it pays off in the season.”

Baker was already strong relative to his light weight, but following a recipe of Bigger stronger faster is awesome to hear..

To much tape last year of "Kwon" on skates.

Not really, he played very well last year for his first year in the NFL coming off a serious injury.

His problem is his range, but the POA stuff he's already excellent at which is needed on this defense.

This line-backing corps is very underrated and isn't the real problem with this defense (pressure is, DE is), the Van Ginkel kid's got a lot of talent as well.

This isn't boring college football where the elite teams are never supposed to lose so they should have great LB's, in the NFL resources are even and the defensive line is more important than the line-backing corps, Miami's front office gets it as do the Rams and most others.

Last edited:
The addition of 12 lbs of muscle sounds pretty significant. Who would make the call that Baker needed to get bigger? Is that a Brian Flores decision? Remember, Flores' prime role in recent years in New England was coaching the linebackers. Is there any possibility that Baker could be used as a hybrid DE/LB to blitz with his natural speed?

Not really, he played very well last year for his first year in the NFL coming off a serious injury.

His problem is his range, but the POA stuff he's already excellent at which is needed on this defense.

This line-backing corps is very underrated and isn't the real problem with this defense (pressure is, DE is), the Van Ginkel kid's got a lot of talent as well.

This isn't boring college football where the elite teams are never supposed to lose so they should have great LB's, in the NFL resources are even and the defensive line is more important than the line-backing corps, Miami's front office gets it as do the Rams and most others.

Does anyone else think this? I truly think all our linebackers could be upgraded. To me they are the worst core on the defense. Our starters are mediocre at best and we literally have no one behind them.

Not trying to insult your opinion, I simply want to know what the consensus on this matter is.

Does anyone else think this? I truly think all our linebackers could be upgraded. To me they are the worst core on the defense. Our starters are mediocre at best and we literally have no one behind them.

Not trying to insult your opinion, I simply want to know what the consensus on this matter is.

Not saying that they couldn't be upgraded, but imo DL is prioritized over LB in the current NFL.

Look at the Rams last year and look at the Eagles this year.

The Rams had a stacked DL and the LB's weren't great, they did alright.

Look at the Eagles this year with all their hype (everybody loves Howie now apparently), they have 2 first round DE's, Cox, Jackson, Jernigan and other good talents such as Curry, Sweat and Miller.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ted-teams-in-the-nfl-ahead-of-the-2019-season

At LB they have Bradham who is very good but not elite and they just signed Zach Brown who teams give up on every other year it seems and basically NO ONE behind those 2.

Are people claiming the Eagles will struggle because of only having 2 decent LB's, no, most are focused on their DL and the potential that it has because that's what really won them a SB (a deep DL).

I think our linebacking corps can be just as good if not better than the Eagles and Rams (two teams everyone thinks is better than us), don't get me started on the DL comparisons though (we need DE's, please step up Charles).

Last edited:
I think we have 2 studs from Ohio St. that will man 2 out of 3 of our LBer positions for a long time. Remember, Burke was in charge of an awful defense and trying to shine on a D like that is difficult. In a scheme that makes sense, with 11 guys doing their job all the players will look better. Remember all the 4th quarters where the other team was ahead of us in TOP by 12 minutes and our whole D was gasping for air. It's really hard to look good when your part of something that is awful. I am truly looking forward to seeing a team with discipline and some toughness. If we're a team that stops beating ourselves we have a chance.

Yes really. You can disagree, but it's fake news. The LB unit couldn't get off blocks and plug a hole. Period. You can blame the DLINE, which I also had issues with. But we seen too much of "Kwon" and company failing at the POA.

You can try to sugar coat it or deflect from it. But it was there and it was why the defense struggled mightily stopping the run.

I understand your enthusiasm, but like Tannehill, you push his warts on to someone or something else. It's always someone else's fault. I hold them all collectively and individually responsible for their horrid play.

Back
Top Bottom