‘a New Player’? First Version Of Miami Dolphins’ Jerome Baker Was Pretty Good | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘a New Player’? First Version Of Miami Dolphins’ Jerome Baker Was Pretty Good

Yes really. You can disagree, but it's fake news. The LB unit couldn't get off blocks and plug a hole. Period. You can blame the DLINE, which I also had issues with. But we seen too much of "Kwon" and company failing at the POA.

You can try to sugar coat it or deflect from it. But it was there and it was why the defense struggled mightily stopping the run.

I understand your enthusiasm, but like Tannehill, you push his warts on to someone or something else. It's always someone else's fault. I hold them all collectively and individually responsible for their horrid play.

Agree to disagree, I thought Kwon played fine essentially as a rookie, and believe he’s strong at the POA. Baker has legit speed, and anyone who knows me irl will tell u im obsessed with speed cause I’m pretty damn fast and athletic myself

Last edited:
His POA was sub par IMO. But all of the LBs had issues between the tackles.

Jerome Baker wasn't drafted to be a POA linebacker, and if you're using him that way then there's no point having him on the field. He was drafted for his ability to quickly get to the ball and cover running backs or tight ends in space. Not to fight off blocks or overpower blockers at the line.

Hopefully the new defensive scheme keeps the linebackers clean. If it doesn't, or if the DL can't execute it, the linebackers we have will be left out to dry.

Does anyone else think this? I truly think all our linebackers could be upgraded. To me they are the worst core on the defense. Our starters are mediocre at best and we literally have no one behind them.

Not trying to insult your opinion, I simply want to know what the consensus on this matter is.
I would say they are such young players, too young to tell for me anyways.. I see upside

Yes really. You can disagree, but it's fake news. The LB unit couldn't get off blocks and plug a hole. Period. You can blame the DLINE, which I also had issues with. But we seen too much of "Kwon" and company failing at the POA.

You can try to sugar coat it or deflect from it. But it was there and it was why the defense struggled mightily stopping the run.

I understand your enthusiasm, but like Tannehill, you push his warts on to someone or something else. It's always someone else's fault. I hold them all collectively and individually responsible for their horrid play.

Ya that’s true. Linebackers couldn’t fill a hole or gap. D line sucked but honestly our linebackers our a problem. People think Flores can coach everything up and make it better. People are going to be disappointed.
Our line backers and dline got pushed around. Which had nothing to do with the scheme. Though Wilkins will help and having Taylor play end should help too I hope.

Good player. It's interesting that his rookie season was very similar to Derrick Rodgers' rookie season in '97. Both 3rd round picks. Same size and skillset also. Essentially the same linebacker.

Both could be decent caliber starters in certain defenses as run & chase linebackers. But nothing to get too excited about.
I don't see Rodgers when I watch Baker.

Rodgers seemed stiff and uninstinctual.

Baker seems more fluid and instinctual.

I see Baker's career trajectory markedly different that Rodgers.

Jerome Baker wasn't drafted to be a POA linebacker, and if you're using him that way then there's no point having him on the field. He was drafted for his ability to quickly get to the ball and cover running backs or tight ends in space. Not to fight off blocks or overpower blockers at the line.

Hopefully the new defensive scheme keeps the linebackers clean. If it doesn't, or if the DL can't execute it, the linebackers we have will be left out to dry.

Well outside zone runs eventually makes you a POA LB. And I understand he is a read and chase LB. And as i stated, all of them were terrible against the run. Individually and as a unit.

I think poa play personnel wise is gonna be a major weakness for this team. Outside of maybe the lsu dt and Raekwon (whose poa play wasn’t a plus overall in 2018) and reshad Jones who may or may not still be here and I guess to an extent tj both of which are by and large at least 2nd level players we don’t have much. Especially in the front 7.

Looks like something for the opposition to really exploit with gameplan. The edges look ripe for seal blocks and wash outs
Wilkins might be stout... even tho just a rookie?

Does anyone else think this? I truly think all our linebackers could be upgraded. To me they are the worst core on the defense. Our starters are mediocre at best and we literally have no one behind them.

Not trying to insult your opinion, I simply want to know what the consensus on this matter is.

Many people think Raekwon is a good LB. It has been well-documented that you thoroughly disagree.

Many people think Raekwon is a good LB. It has been well-documented that you thoroughly disagree.

Really? Our worst linebacker is a good linebacker? While I love to disagree with you, I would love for someone other than yourself to tell me what makes "Kwon" good?

Maybe some people see potential to be good, but he was doodoo last year. I think we are suffering from not knowing what good linebacker play looks like.

Karlos Dansby was good, Kiko has been ok for us, but Raekwon? I just dont see it.

And I am on record as not liking our entire linebacking core not just Raekwon with Kiko being the one I dislike the least because he at least makes plays from time to time but he also needs to be upgraded if the scheme change does not help put him in a position to succeed.

As the worst run defense in the league last year, you would think they would have gotten a bunch of new linebackers and interior defensive lineman instead of just one DT. You know what they say about the definition of insanity right? Looks like we are walking into next season with essentially the same personel but expecting different results.

Last edited:
Really? Our worst linebacker is a good linebacker? While I love to disagree with you, I would love for someone other than yourself to tell me what makes "Kwon" good?

Maybe some people see potential to be good, but he was doodoo last year. I think we are suffering from not knowing what good linebacker play looks like.

Karlos Dansby was good, Kiko has been ok for us, but Raekwon? I just dont see it.

And I am on record as not liking our entire linebacking core not just Raekwon with Kiko being the one I dislike the least because he at least makes plays from time to time but he also needs to be upgraded if the scheme change does not help put him in a position to succeed.

As the worst run defense in the league last year, you would think they would have gotten a bunch of new linebackers and interior defensive lineman instead of just one DT. You know what they say about the definition of insanity right? Looks like we are walking into next season with essentially the same personel but expecting different results.

I’m aware you wanted someone other than me to explain this to you, but if you’re seeking logical, well thought-our counterpoints, you might want to lead with something other than “He was doodoo.”

Back
Top Bottom