‘a New Player’? First Version Of Miami Dolphins’ Jerome Baker Was Pretty Good | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘a New Player’? First Version Of Miami Dolphins’ Jerome Baker Was Pretty Good

I’m aware you wanted someone other than me to explain this to you, but if you’re seeking logical, well thought-our counterpoints, you might want to lead with something other than “He was doodoo.”

He didnt play well at all last year, even though he did improve later in the year it was not enough to say he played well at all. AKA doodoo.

He didnt play well at all last year, even though he did improve later in the year it was not enough to say he played well at all. AKA doodoo.
I would say he was greatly improved the last third of the season.

Remember, he was essentially a rookie. He had never experienced NFL game speed before.

I don't expect him to be a perennial pro bowler, but I think he is assignment sound, as long as his lack of lateral range is mitigated by scheme.

I would also point out that the coaching, and overall defensive scheme (or lack thereof) surely had a deleterious effect on all players not named X, or Minkah.

PFF rated Jerome Baker as the 31st rated linebacker with a 70.3 grade..

PFF rated Tremaine Edmunds as the 69th rated linebacker with a 57.4 grade..

The film Matches this grade imo..

It’s Early on but I’m happy we didn’t go there in the first round with Edmunds

Baker was a hit... that was clear last year!

My persective today is that we are set to play alot of the 4/3 this year. Linebacking wise minus the coaching imo we have the personel to put on a average to above average unit on the field. Not implying we have a elite unit but probably the most talented depth wise unit we have had in years.
Inside of course McMillian, Chase Allen, Baker and Kiko on the outside. Thats the first string then there is Harris and Van Giesel our 5th rounder on the ouside along with Hanks, Trae and possibly Hull on the inside.
Really the key outside of coaching is finding that nose tackle. We are fine at DT and depth with Davon, Taylor, Spence and our 1st round pick on the outside.
If I was the Miami braintrust right now my second priority outside the oline is finding the nosetackle we need.

My persective today is that we are set to play alot of the 4/3 this year. Linebacking wise minus the coaching imo we have the personel to put on a average to above average unit on the field. Not implying we have a elite unit but probably the most talented depth wise unit we have had in years.
Inside of course McMillian, Chase Allen, Baker and Kiko on the outside. Thats the first string then there is Harris and Van Giesel our 5th rounder on the ouside along with Hanks, Trae and possibly Hull on the inside.
Really the key outside of coaching is finding that nose tackle. We are fine at DT and depth with Davon, Taylor, Spence and our 1st round pick on the outside.
If I was the Miami braintrust right now my second priority outside the oline is finding the nosetackle we need.
If Chase Allen is starting, your unit is not solid.

Good dude, but limited.

I don't see Rodgers when I watch Baker.

Rodgers seemed stiff and uninstinctual.

Baker seems more fluid and instinctual.

I see Baker's career trajectory markedly different that Rodgers.

He better learn how to tackle Dalvin Cook then.

How do you see Baker’s career trajectory? Derrick Brooks?

Morlon Greenwood!

(actually, let me think of a good comp for what I'm projecting and get back to you)

Good dude, but limited.

Peehaps I am also thinking Kiko could slide inside like when he played for the Bills which might put Harris on the outside. Harris has gotten good reviees in TC but I like Allen a bit more at this point inside than Harris outside. Imo.

He actually reminds me of Jessie Armstead, but hoping for a career like that would be wishful thinking.

Peehaps I am also thinking Kiko could slide inside like when he played for the Bills which might put Harris on the outside. Harris has gotten good reviees in TC but I like Allen a bit more at this point inside than Harris outside. Imo.
I take it, then, that you believe a "standard" 3-4 with 4 true LBers will be our alignment the majority of the time?

I don't necessarily believe that. It will likely change depending upon the opponent. Playing 5 DBs might be the majority in many games.

It's more about where players line up, than what their listed "position" may be, IMO.

I take it, then, that you believe a "standard" 3-4 with 4 true LBers will be our alignment the majority of the time?

I don't necessarily believe that. It will likely change depending upon the opponent. Playing 5 DBs might be the majority in many games.

It's more about where players line up, than what their listed "position" may be, IMO.

As far as our defense deploying more of a db backfield to offset the pass happy offenses these days I will agree, I just see us playing with more 4 linbackers than 4 defensive linemen.

I have to somewhat take Slimm's side. When we drafted Baker I wasn't overly thrilled. I saw him as a situational LB, and basically saw his only value as a blitzer. And he surprised me a bit with his ability... though I also feel that we underrate how good McMillan was the second half of the year too.

I do think the new scheme should give us a clearer idea on what we have

Wilkins might be stout... even tho just a rookie?

I think poa play is probably his biggest weakness. Although that lessens the further outside he lines up. And I fully expect him to line up in a lot of different asks on the line. He has to. We don’t have many other options

Be a lot on his plate.

Good dude, but limited.

Poa play probably his biggest feather in tbe cap. I could see him having a role in the d because of that in this scheme

Poa play probably his biggest feather in tbe cap. I could see him having a role in the d because of that in this scheme
That is true, as long as the play is "in front" of him. He appears to be very assignment sound. If he has to chase laterally, or cover though, his weaknesses are exposed.

Back
Top Bottom