A "new" QB c/b taken in 1st rd... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A "new" QB c/b taken in 1st rd...

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Inside Dish: Henson wants to be back in football
Interest in Drew Henson is picking up, as the word out of Bradenton, Fla., is that Henson looks like a highly skilled quarterback and a tremendous athlete. .. The Texans own his rights after selecting Henson in the sixth round of the 2003 draft and are interested in trading him. The asking price is believed to be a future second-round pick. If Houston doesn't trade or sign Henson, he will be available in the April draft, and it is expected he would be a late first-round selection. Henson, who last played football at Michigan in 2000, has been playing third base in the Yankees' farm system
I w/rather have him QBing the Phins than playing 3rd for the Yanks...

I liked Henson 3 years ago, and I presume I still would. The Texans will forfeit his rights March 3rd. At which time it would be a major neccessity to have him workout and see where his current level of play would be. While he's not old, rust is a huge factor. Most likely scenario for Drew is that he claims he's ready to give up baseball and play in the NFL ASAP. Thus re-entering the draft, and getting selected somewhere from mid second to late third.

But thats all contingent on him giving up baseball, if he re-enters the draft and we don't hear a word about his future intentions, I doubt he even gets drafted. Which might be an ideal situation for him, being a free agent.

Screw that trader. I would like to see him play again. I just have a dislike for him after what he did to Michigan since i am a Michigan fan. He screwed them over and made Navarre start before he was ready to. He then went and played for a Columbus baseball team cause he never turned out to be what the Yankees thought he would. Going from a michigan player to playing for Columbus. Now thats a trader.

Brad, dude you have to admit the Yankees gave him a LOT of money to do what he did. It wasn't like he left on the off chance that he becomes a good baseball player. The Yankees already thought he was awesome, paid him a lot of money, and truly thought they were looking at their new all-star 3rd baseman once he develops a bit.

I'm not even gonna say he made a mistake, cuz he probably thought he could cut it in baseball, where the contracts get MUCH bigger than the NFL (see A-Rod), but he was just wrong. Now he should prolly know he can make more in football than in baseball.

The notion of "rust" as it applies to Henson will be relatively different than for others who've been away from football. Will his footwork, mechanics and timing be off and need work? Yes. Will he need to get back in shape? No. He's been leading the existence of a professional athlete. This ain't like Cris Carter walking off the studio set ready to suffer kidney failure. :D

Originally posted by finsfan4life
I like Henson but there's no way I would take him with a first rounder.

I wouldn't either....but I'd be willing to bet SOME team will get at least highly interested, deepening the QB crop for this year's draft.

Originally posted by Brad528
Screw that trader. I would like to see him play again. I just have a dislike for him after what he did to Michigan since i am a Michigan fan. He screwed them over and made Navarre start before he was ready to. He then went and played for a Columbus baseball team cause he never turned out to be what the Yankees thought he would. Going from a michigan player to playing for Columbus. Now thats a trader.

God for bid a kid try to fulfil his dream and Navarre was never ready to start:lol:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Brad, dude you have to admit the Yankees gave him a LOT of money to do what he did. It wasn't like he left on the off chance that he becomes a good baseball player. The Yankees already thought he was awesome, paid him a lot of money, and truly thought they were looking at their new all-star 3rd baseman once he develops a bit.

I'm not even gonna say he made a mistake, cuz he probably thought he could cut it in baseball, where the contracts get MUCH bigger than the NFL (see A-Rod), but he was just wrong. Now he should prolly know he can make more in football than in baseball.

Just to build on your point, they gave him a $17 million signing bonus. :eek: I asked Drew in 2001 why he gave up football. He told me, "Baseball's my first love, man."

And there you have it. He was given a chance to become rich beyond his wildest dreams playing the game he loved more than any other.

Can't fault him for that.

Originally posted by Stamos
I liked Henson 3 years ago, and I presume I still would. The Texans will forfeit his rights March 3rd.

That's not correct. The Texans own his rights up until the draft according to the NFL CBA. I'm not so sure Henson can even be traded unless he signs with Houston first.

(b) If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to the thirtieth day prior to the beginning of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that it signs with such player for the player?s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year's Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)).

I always thought the Texans could trade the rights to him if they so desired, but I'm not going to claim to know what I'm talking about when it comes to the NFL regulations for that particular situation. Weren't the Texans one of the early teams rumored to be interested in Ogunleye? Starting to remind me of the A.J. Feely rumors . . .

OK...so lets say the phins actually likes him. Would they then work a deal out w/ Houston such that they (Houston) sign him and then trade him to us for a future pick? Is that even legal?

Also, how do teams check him out to make an educated decision? Whats the timeline for something like this?

Back
Top Bottom