A possible derailing of the Alex Smith bandwagon? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A possible derailing of the Alex Smith bandwagon?

Pagan

Gone
Reaction score
DON'T believe the hype. Those present at Alex Smith's workout certainly didn't. Sure the former Utah quarterback looked good in working out in front of numerous scouts and personnel men on March 16. But his performance was nowhere near as good as the agents who leaked the workout 'information' would have you believe.

Last week, The Post visited with several men who were on hand to watch Smith's workout, which afterward was being compared to Troy Aikman's great performance of 1989. It wasn't even close.

Read the rest: Beware of Utah QBs' Rave Reviews

There is no need to worry, Saban has already seen what Smith can do up close and personal.

MikeAlias said:
There is no need to worry, Saban has already seen what Smith can do up close and personal.

and its ok because the chargers meat with Ryan Leaf several times before the draft. and they saw what "he could do up close and personal".

Pagan said:

This seems like a New York Post hatchet job to me.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8297183

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8298150

Gil Brandt is no agent leaking propaganda, he is the Father of modern scouting who established himself in building the great Cowboys teams for decades, he was scouting quarterbacks when the writer of that article wasn't even a glimmer in his daddy's eye.

If Gil Brandt was impressed that tells me something.

Mel Kiper is also not an agent, and he has him being picked first in the draft.

In the end though. I'll leave it to Nick Saban, he was there, hes knows what he saw, he spent the time to go over game film with Smith, whatever he decides is good enough for me.

NY POST? Ha! I'll trust that about as much as I trust the NY TIMES.

and i dont trust the NY TIMES.

BlueFin said:
This seems like a New York Post hatchet job to me.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8297183

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8298150

Gil Brandt is no agent leaking propaganda, he is the Father of modern scouting who established himself in building the great Cowboys teams for decades, he was scouting quarterbacks when the writer of that article wasn't even a glimmer in his daddy's eye.

If Gil Brandt was impressed that tells me something.

Mel Kiper is also not an agent, and he has him being picked first in the draft.

In the end though. I'll leave it to Nick Saban, he was there, hes knows what he saw, he spent the time to go over game film with Smith, whatever he decides is good enough for me.

What would the NY Post's agenda be regarding this matter? To make Nick Saban skip Alex Smith? Im sorry, but you give them too much credit.

This article seems to validify all the weakness that have been quietly stated about Smith, and gives credence to the claim that the only reason Smith has jumped so high up the draft boards is in large part due to Leinart's decision to stay in school.

I as well will leave it up to Saban, but judging on his recent "30% 1st round QB success rate" I think he is not sold on this year's crop of 1st round prospects and will attempt to snag a David Greene in the later rounds.

Ronnie Brown/Braylon Edwards/Trade down are still most likely.

This story is from a guy who interviewed " several men who were on hand to watch Smith's workout" and doesn't even name sources. Unnamed sources do not affect the credibility if these grumblings were widely reported but that is not the case.

Here's an account of someone who was there. In his story, Gil Brandt reports:

I've been coming to private workouts for decades, but this is the first time I can remember a player receiving a standing ovation from his audience. He was lights out. Smith threw for 45 minutes, and in that time, only one ball wasn't catchable, and that was at the end of the session when Savoy's tongue was hanging out after being run all over the field.

Smith in a later interview laughed at the notion of a standing ovation, explaining that scouts were already standing at the time of the applause.

There are sources that back up Brandt's account:

One personnel source on hand said Smith had a "paramount" workout. Smith looked so good, he likely vaulted to the top of the 2005 draft's quarterback class a day before California's Aaron Rodgers responds with his personal pro day.

On Smith's throwing style:

"It was all fluid," the personnel source said. "He didn't have many problems doing things – the out [pattern], getting [the ball] deep and whatever – he looked natural. … He looked prepared. Those guys, the quarterbacks, get nervous sometimes in that situation and then they are all over the place with the ball. He didn't look that way at all.

On the cheering:

"There was some cheering at the end. I think he got a lot of pats on the back with people walking out feeling satisfied."

While clapping may be customary at Pro Day work outs, there must have been something about this particular applause the stuck in the minds of those who reported.

I believe there are reasons why the scouts cited in the first piece reported something that no one else noticed. The sources may not have liked something that they saw in Smith or, more likely, could be from a team who hopes that negative grumblings cause Smith to fall into their laps.

This is old news.I saw that after the workout .The theory was that the receivers were told to slack of on their speed and routes in order to make Smith's passes look sharper
and demonstarte he had a better arm than he has.

If this is true I dont think Saban would fall for it.

I believe there are reasons why the scouts cited in the first piece reported something that no one else noticed. The sources may not have liked something that they saw in Smith or, more likely, could be from a team who hopes that negative grumblings cause Smith to fall into their laps.

That is also possible. We shall see.. But the bit about operating most only shotgun is true right?

SkapePhin said:
That is also possible. We shall see.. But the bit about operating most only shotgun is true right?

Skape, here's what the Yahoo article and others have reported:

One of the chief concerns about Smith – like Jacksonville's Byron Leftwich two years ago – was that he operated a great deal out of the shotgun in college. In response, Smith demonstrated on Wednesday that he could drop from under center and still maintain good throwing mechanics. He also went through various drills to show he could throw down field with accuracy but also hit a running back in the flat.

SkapePhin said:
What would the NY Post's agenda be regarding this matter? To make Nick Saban skip Alex Smith? Im sorry, but you give them too much credit.

This article seems to validify all the weakness that have been quietly stated about Smith, and gives credence to the claim that the only reason Smith has jumped so high up the draft boards is in large part due to Leinart's decision to stay in school.

I as well will leave it up to Saban, but judging on his recent "30% 1st round QB success rate" I think he is not sold on this year's crop of 1st round prospects and will attempt to snag a David Greene in the later rounds.

Ronnie Brown/Braylon Edwards/Trade down are still most likely.

I guess my point was, I would put more credibility in Gil Brandt(who was there) who has scouted QB's for 40 something years over a New York Post Writer who is writing from some unknown source.

I have no idea, and neither do you the unknown possible agenda of this writer for attacking Smith, he may end up with egg all over his face if Smith becomes an All-Pro.

As I said, whatever Saban decides will be ok with me, I trust him.

I am obviously a proponent of drafting a QB high, but I haven't had the luxury of seeing Smith and Rodgers as closely as Nick has so I won't quibble with whatever he decides.

I do think a runningback at #2 is a mistake, I would support Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams as the pick.

A runningback at #2 is a mistake

you take one of the franchise qbs...if you don't believe one is a franchise qb...you trade down...its that simple.

I don't buy this...its going to be hard to trade down thing...Cleveland needs a qb...Arizona needs a qb (Warner is at best a 1-year plan)...you ooze over Alex Smith and then make the deal.

RHoffman said:
you take one of the franchise qbs...if you don't believe one is a franchise qb...you trade down...its that simple.

I don't buy this...its going to be hard to trade down thing...Cleveland needs a qb...Arizona needs a qb (Warner is at best a 1-year plan)...you ooze over Alex Smith and then make the deal.

your right the Chargers should have never draft LT that high and than took brees in the 2nd round. once the best QB Mike "overrated" Vick was off the board they should have just traded out of there.

RHoffman said:

I agree -- you get what the pick is worth (which is a QB ONLY in this draft) or you trade down. I think if Saban trades down we're probably looking at Alex Barron or some defensive guys, with a RB and QB being picked later in the draft with the picks we get in trade.

Back
Top Bottom