A possible derailing of the Alex Smith bandwagon? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A possible derailing of the Alex Smith bandwagon?

godfater21 said:
and its ok because the chargers meat with Ryan Leaf several times before the draft. and they saw what "he could do up close and personal".

But, remember the psychologist SD hired had specifically told him that Leaf would fail. They had just invested so much in trading up for the pick that they felt they had no choice. I don't see that as a parallel to Miami's situation.

godfater21 said:
your right the Chargers should have never draft LT that high and than took brees in the 2nd round. once the best QB Mike "overrated" Vick was off the board they should have just traded out of there.

Even with LT the Chargers remained a crappy team. They didn't improve until they got lucky with Brees. That's the point, we can draft the best RB in the league, but unless we get lucky with AJ or some other late rd gem, we'll still be crappy to.

rafael said:
Even with LT the Chargers remained a crappy team. They didn't improve until they got lucky with Brees. That's the point, we can draft the best RB in the league, but unless we get lucky with AJ or some other late rd gem, we'll still be crappy to.

So your Saying Ricky didn't make our team what its was? that we did good because of feidler? boy i don't know what you where watching. if the top RB has Better potential Than the Top QB, wich is the case this year, you take the RB. the QBs in the later rounds have just as much potential as Rogers or Smith.

BlueFin said:
This seems like a New York Post hatchet job to me.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8297183

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8298150

Gil Brandt is no agent leaking propaganda, he is the Father of modern scouting who established himself in building the great Cowboys teams for decades, he was scouting quarterbacks when the writer of that article wasn't even a glimmer in his daddy's eye.

If Gil Brandt was impressed that tells me something.

Mel Kiper is also not an agent, and he has him being picked first in the draft.

In the end though. I'll leave it to Nick Saban, he was there, hes knows what he saw, he spent the time to go over game film with Smith, whatever he decides is good enough for me.

Well GBN said teh same, he looked uncomfortable in his drops and the deep outs looked bad, receivers had to come back or stand and wait on teh ball. Mel Kiper also has his stock dropping on his big board. To that you say Kiper isnt as good as scouts inc, I said Scouts inc says they dont see Smith as a cant miss prospect you say that those that said that werent the one you like from scouts inc.

Whats the point? You have your opinion, I have my opinion, scouts have theirs, personnel/Gms have theirs and not all agree. There is no consensus, you nor I can prove our position is right, so why are you trying so hard? Yep Saban was there and only he knows what he saw and felt. Brandt liked him, other actually NFC personnel didnt according to GBN. So just because you like Smith doesnt mean your position is proven with comments from news media that agree with your position, while discounting as nonsense those that dont.

RHoffman said:
you take one of the franchise qbs...if you don't believe one is a franchise qb...you trade down...its that simple.

I don't buy this...its going to be hard to trade down thing...Cleveland needs a qb...Arizona needs a qb (Warner is at best a 1-year plan)...you ooze over Alex Smith and then make the deal.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that QBs and LTs are the players you pick with the highest (1-2) picks. The RB position is much easier to fill. So it typically does not warrant such a large investment (draftwise). But if the #2 pick meant drafting Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James or Ladanian Tomlinson.....I'd take it.

WR is such a hit or miss position. There are so many factors that contribute to its success. Outside of the two or three players, the Top 10 picks used at the WR position in the last five years is pretty discouraging.

WR - Larry Fitzgerald (3), Roy Williams (7)

WR - Charles Rodgers (2), Andre Johnson (3)

WR - none

WR - David Terrell (8), Koren Robinson (9)

WR - Peter Warrick (4), Plaxico Burress (8), Travis Taylor (10) horrible draft overall at WR

Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams each have question marks of their own. Mike Williams is very much like his cousin, Keyshawn Johnson. He's a big guy with great hands who lacks top end speed. And he's been away from the game awhile. But his attitude is much more desirable than Keyshawn.

Was Keyshawn worth the #1 overall pick the Jets used on him?? Better yet, was he worth the TWO #1's and $56 million Tampa Bay gave up for him 4 years later?? Williams has more skills than Johnson. So that could well put him over the top.

Edwards' knocks are consistency and concentration. Can he overcome that?? Or will he be another David Terrell??

As for trading up, perhaps we could add Minnesota to the mix. They're looking for WRs. And they have just acquired Oakland's #7 overall pick to go with their #18 selection.

rafael said:

Ok what have you proved with fact? Nothing. They could have stayed taken Vick and where would they have been? Dont justs state your opinion, base it on something. Basis yshould also be undebateable. Can you? If you cant its speculation. See my contention is you are acting as if they made a bad pick with LT and would have been better with Vick, yet what exactly has Vick done? Get to the NFC champ game in a weak conference where the defense was as much responsible as teh offense? That proves LT was teh bad pick? Yet SD went 12-4 with their 2 picks in that draft? Their defense and o-line came together in 04, THAT is what made the diff. It wasnt that LT wasnt good enough and could have contributed to Brees, that wuill be answered in the next season.

My point is this, stop acting as if your position is cut and dry right, it isnt, no matter how many times you tell your self it is.

Sorry for teh sarcasm, but this argument is getting old. You cant prove opinion until after the fact.

godfater21 said:
So your Saying Ricky didn't make our team what its was? that we did good because of feidler? boy i don't know what you where watching. if the top RB has Better potential Than the Top QB, wich is the case this year, you take the RB. the QBs in the later rounds have just as much potential as Rogers or Smith.

No, clearly RW didn't make our team what it was b/c we achieved more with a similar team and Lamar Smith at RB. I'm not saying Smith is better than RW, just that the RB position isn't as important as it once was. If the QB and RB are even close you have to take the QB b/c the position is just that much more important.

We really disagree with the potential of the QBs. The later rd QBs are rated lower for a reason, actually several reasons. IMO it's much more likely that one of the later RBs will become a superstar than that one of the later QBs will achieve that status.

Back
Top Bottom