A question for all the dolfans.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question for all the dolfans....

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Do you really think Brunnell is going to want to come to Miami if he knows that we are grooming a QB to play here next year? He's leaving Jacksonville because Leftwich was given the starting job and he may face a similar situation in Miami if we draft a QB with plans on starting him in 2005.

No. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought he even stated he only wants to come here if we do not bring in a rookie QB.

I thought I heard that somewhere!?

I wont say a definite yes or no, but ill say that he SHOULD consider it for the following reasons:
-If the QB is henson he may be more than a year away, but brunell is guaranteed this season
-If he performs well and gets us deep into the playoffs like he thinks he is capable of then hell keep his job next year, thats how it works.
-Miami is close to his home, he doesnt want to leave or go to far away(san diego, oakland, etc...)
-Miami has the talent on both sides of the ball to compete and help him win a super bowl in the next couple years rather than being part of a rebuilding process that he wont be around to reap the rewards of by the time it comes full circle.

we already know hes said that he wont go to a team grooming a rookie, but hes at the stage in his career where there will always be a younger guy around the corner to take his place and he could just be using that statement as leverage to get a better contract... meaning he could change his mind or at least alter his demands

Unequivocally.....NO.

For the reason you mentioned. Near as I can tell Brunell wants the following in the order shown:

1. to be the starting QB
2. to play for a Florida team
3. to play for a good team
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
100. to be paid big dollars

As you can tell. I don't think Brunell is going to want some team to break the bank to sign him. He's made lots of coin in Jacksonville in recent years. If he can get his first demands met, he'll likely take less money than what some people might expect. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if he took less money from Miami than say San Diego. Only Tampa Bay stands in our way as far as I'm concerned. Assuming we don't go the youth route ofcourse and make a play for Henson or wait until April to draft Rivers. My money is on us getting Brunell and taking a WR in the 1st round in the draft.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
I wont say a definite yes or no, but ill say that he SHOULD consider it for the following reasons:
-If the QB is henson he may be more than a year away, but brunell is guaranteed this season
-If he performs well and gets us deep into the playoffs like he thinks he is capable of then hell keep his job next year, thats how it works.
-Miami is close to his home, he doesnt want to leave or go to far away(san diego, oakland, etc...)
-Miami has the talent on both sides of the ball to compete and help him win a super bowl in the next couple years rather than being part of a rebuilding process that he wont be around to reap the rewards of by the time it comes full circle.

we already know hes said that he wont go to a team grooming a rookie, but hes at the stage in his career where there will always be a younger guy around the corner to take his place and he could just be using that statement as leverage to get a better contract... meaning he could change his mind or at least alter his demands

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0

That's the thing, he won't know. I mean, we can tell him that we won't bring in a young QB. But that all can change on draft day.

I really doubt that we'd lie to the guy. But the Bears did it to Kordell last year. Like Brunell, he explicitly told Chicago he wouldn't sign unless they made that promise. Well, April rolls around and they draft Grossman anyway. Similar thing happened last year in Buffalo, where Travis Henry said he never would have signed that extention if he knew they'd draft McGahee.

It's a tough thing to do. I'm glad I'm not negotiating the contracts or chasing players. On one hand, you want to be stand-up. But on the other hand, you want to plan for the future.

Brunell is a perfect fit here. But we need a veteran QB regardless of whether or not we're chasing Rivers.....or any rookie QB. We need to have our bases covered. Because if we keep Fiedler and don't get Rivers, we're screwed.

I completely understand where Brunell is coming from. At this point in a man' s career, why would you want to set yourself to have to move again and look for another job in 1-2 years?? Old guys want to find a place to nest and finish their career. Brunell feels he has 3-4 years left. Phillip Rivers isn't gonna wait that long. And we won't hold him (or any other 1st rounder) back that long.

My hope is that Brunell signs and we figure out the rest later.

Originally posted by Muck
That's the thing, he won't know. I mean, we can tell him that we won't bring in a young QB. But that all can change on draft day.

I really doubt that we'd lie to the guy. But the Bears did it to Kordell last year. Like Brunell, he explicitly told Chicago he wouldn't sign unless they made that promise. Well, April rolls around and they draft Grossman anyway. Similar thing happened last year in Buffalo, where Travis Henry said he never would have signed that extention if he knew they'd draft McGahee.

It's a tough thing to do. I'm glad I'm not negotiating the contracts or chasing players. On one hand, you want to be stand-up. But on the other hand, you want to plan for the future.

Brunell is a perfect fit here. But we need a veteran QB regardless of whether or not we're chasing Rivers.....or any rookie QB. We need to have our bases covered. Because if we keep Fiedler and don't get Rivers, we're screwed.

I completely understand where Brunell is coming from. At this point in a man' s career, why would you want to set yourself to have to move again and look for another job in 1-2 years?? Old guys want to find a place to nest and finish their career. Brunell feels he has 3-4 years left. Phillip Rivers isn't gonna wait that long. And we won't hold him (or any other 1st rounder) back that long.

My hope is that Brunell signs and we figure out the rest later.

I take it you prefer Rivers to Henson Muck? If so why do you feel that way? I repsect your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom