A question for our attorneys | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question for our attorneys

Miamian

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
I expected us to go for two after the second touchdown. Have the rules changed? This is at least the second time, and I'm pretty sure there's been more, when it would have been tactically advantageous to go for two, but instead we settled for one.

I don't think he would gain a whole lot of confidence from making a PAT. If this was a long field goal, then I could see it.

We went for one because it was very early in the game, still 2nd half. If we go for two and miss, then we only have 12 points and that is nothing. The Patriots could kick 4 field goals in 3 quarters, it's definately possible. Also, they could score a TD and kick 2 field goals and that would put them in the lead if we missed the two. We were just better off playing it safe and going for 1 so early in the game. If we scored in the 4th quarter, than it would have been different.

Originally posted by Miamian
I don't think he would gain a whole lot of confidence from making a PAT. If this was a long field goal, then I could see it.

I was being a little facetous about Mare. I wanted to wring his neck in the beginning. :D

It's all chess, Breck. On the other hand, if we miss the two, a field goal later would give us fifteen.

Originally posted by Miamian
It's all chess, Breck. On the other hand, if we miss the two, a field goal later would give us fifteen.

Your right it is all chess, and the smart coach takes every point he can get when your playing the SB champs and you have opened up an early lead. You also have to think about a momnetum change if they come up with a big play on the 2PC it is easy to forget you just gave up a TD.

That's all true, but part of the chess game is to be aggressive. Strategizing too passively can be just as costly.

it was way too early for a 2pt conversion

It's the same thing as going for the touchdown when we already scored the field goal. One of the mantras has always been "never take points off the scoreboard," but we risked that. If we're going to risk three points, then I don't see the logic in not risking one.

we got the ball first and goal and close to it after that 15 yarder on Brewski on the FG. Mare should/would easily have had a 2nd chance to put it thru - all 32 teams take that penalty and go for 7

2 point conversion

I feel the only time to go for 2 is when needed. I have seen teams go for 2 and miss and later on they end up having to go for 2 just to tie the score, when they could have kicked the xp's and tied it easily. The point being you don't know how the other team is going to score. Going for 2 in that situation is expecting the Patsies to score 2 touchdowns and your team not to score anymore. I don't think playing scared is being aggressive. You take the xp and have confidence in your team. You never go for 2 when you have the lead unless it is late in the game and you have the choice of being up 7 or if you miss, up by 5. In that case being up 5 is no different then up by 6 so you might as well go for 2. But this would only happen late in the game.

just a little note. Mare had the flu, and was pretty sick in the locker room (read puking) before the game. I know he hasn't been his usual self, but this last game I am cutting him some slack.

Just for some information, I found this 2 point conversion chart on the web. As for why Wanny went for 1 point instead of 2 (like the chart recommends) is anyones guess. Not all coaches, follow the chart all the time. I'm just glad we won!!

Go Dolphins!!!!

Sorry, about that! When I try and post the chart all the formating changes rendering it useless :(

Back
Top Bottom