A Question For You Dolphin Fans... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Question For You Dolphin Fans...

R. Rich

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is a serious question, not just me trying to bust chops. I've seen a lot of segments on sports talk shows and articles about Ricky Williams and how many rushing attempts he gets. Do you all think this is a problem, or is it a case of the media just looking for something to write/talk about? As a Bills fan, it hurt to see him pounding away on 42 carries against my team, but, since he's my RB on a couple fantasy teams, I don't mind it at all. One thing I have noticed is that they seem to have gotten away from throwing the ball in his direction. That may be due to his success running the ball (I've only seen them play against the Bills, so I don't know for sure) or some other reason. One of the fantasy leagues I have him in gives points for receptions, so I hope he starts to get a few more catches as the season goes on. Anyway, I'm just curious to know if all this talk about his carries is overkill to you guys or not. Thoughts?

They will run Ricky 25 - 30 times a game. Your game was a little different because as Norv put it, and I paraphrase, "had we made those plays to the WR's that would have been TD's, Ricky would have gotten 10 less carries.". However, Jay overthrew them and thus Ricky had to keep the drive alive (especially since you couldn't stop him for less than 4 yards a pop).

He only had 22 carries yesterday.

I dont nessicarily think it's an actual plan to not throw to him. Sometimes we drag up plays we havent used in a while. Sometimes things disappear, suddenly to be big in a certain game. For example, Konrad hadnt been used much at all recently, and suddenly he has several big plays.

Originally posted by dolfan4good
They will run Ricky 25 - 30 times a game. Your game was a little different because as Norv put it, and I paraphrase, "had we made those plays to the WR's that would have been TD's, Ricky would have gotten 10 less carries.". However, Jay overthrew them and thus Ricky had to keep the drive alive (especially since you couldn't stop him for less than 4 yards a pop).

He only had 22 carries yesterday.

Yeah, I think he'll be okay. Then again, you never know. He does run a lot similar to Jamal Anderson, and all the carries he had during their Super Bowl year (wasn't it over 400?) seemed to take a toll on him, plus he ended up getting hurt the next season and never recovered. I don't think that will happen to Ricky, but I guess anything can happen.

Originally posted by R. Rich

He does run a lot similar to Jamal Anderson, and all the carries he had during their Super Bowl year (wasn't it over 400?) seemed to take a toll on him, plus he ended up getting hurt the next season and never recovered.

I don't know about that .... 295 yards in one game... seems recovered to me.

***** Sorry I was thinking Jamal Lewis , Idiot me. Disregard post *******

Originally posted by Disgustipate
I dont nessicarily think it's an actual plan to not throw to him. Sometimes we drag up plays we havent used in a while. Sometimes things disappear, suddenly to be big in a certain game. For example, Konrad hadnt been used much at all recently, and suddenly he has several big plays.

With both of them having the ability to catch and run, maybe they'd do well by mixing things up with them, like splitting one out as a slot receiver on occasion (if they don't already), more play action to the RBs or flare patterns to take advantage of teams that would blitz them. He hurt the Bills with short passes when he was still a Saint and they played at RICH in the home opener a few years ago.

Originally posted by dolfan4good

I don't know about that .... 295 yards in one game... seems recovered to me.

***** Sorry I was thinking Jamal Lewis , Idiot me. Disregard post *******

My mistake for not mentioning Jamal Anderson of the Atlanta Falcons. You're not an idiot; an idiot is the person who believes they never make a mistake.

It is a mistake to think that ricky will fade later on in his career like that Houston Oiler. Ricky is in the greatest shape of his life and is the best RB in his mind/body of anybody. Rickys carries are misleading. Every game will not be punishing like the Bills gave him (or as much of it as they could). that was a freak ball control game where the TOP was 4- 1. Most games wont be that way. Come towards the end of the season, teams will respect our ability to get teh third downs using ricky as a Decoy.
Also notice the different style of run set ups in teh bills game compared to giants game. The giants stunted and cheated if they had too and even brought up 8-9 on the line of scrimmage with alot of DB's coming into the picture alot. the Bills were staying in their base defense more becuase they respected Fiedlers ability to mobilize and misdirect.
Another thing is that ricky is not getting hit as bad as you might think. He is ducking alot when he knows he is going down anyways. Ricky is patient and he builds as the quarter goes on. that means that he is taking what he gets early only to lay it on heavy at the end punishing the defender instead of the defender punishing him. The only time i have seen a defense punish ricky for four Q is the Denver Broncos last year. even then, ricky scored in the fourth. ricky is young.

Originally posted by R. Rich

Yeah, I think he'll be okay. Then again, you never know. He does run a lot similar to Jamal Anderson, and all the carries he had during their Super Bowl year (wasn't it over 400?) seemed to take a toll on him, plus he ended up getting hurt the next season and never recovered. I don't think that will happen to Ricky, but I guess anything can happen.

Jamal compared to Ricky. . .

Heh, guess I really don't need to say much more.

Originally posted by finfan54
It is a mistake to think that ricky will fade later on in his career like that Houston Oiler. Ricky is in the greatest shape of his life and is the best RB in his mind/body of anybody. Rickys carries are misleading. Every game will not be punishing like the Bills gave him (or as much of it as they could). that was a freak ball control game where the TOP was 4- 1. Most games wont be that way. Come towards the end of the season, teams will respect our ability to get teh third downs using ricky as a Decoy.
Also notice the different style of run set ups in teh bills game compared to giants game. The giants stunted and cheated if they had too and even brought up 8-9 on the line of scrimmage with alot of DB's coming into the picture alot. the Bills were staying in their base defense more becuase they respected Fiedlers ability to mobilize and misdirect.
Another thing is that ricky is not getting hit as bad as you might think. He is ducking alot when he knows he is going down anyways. Ricky is patient and he builds as the quarter goes on. that means that he is taking what he gets early only to lay it on heavy at the end punishing the defender instead of the defender punishing him. The only time i have seen a defense punish ricky for four Q is the Denver Broncos last year. even then, ricky scored in the fourth. ricky is young.

You make some very good points there. I think the Giants were less afraid of leaving their base defense because they have something we (Bills) don't............DEFENSIVE ENDS!!! A lot of the Bills' problems on defense stem from the fact that they get NO pressure from the edge (unless they blitz, like yesterday). The DEs we have are not quick enough to routinely beat the tackles (like Ogunleye did to Mike Williams in the Sunday night game) and certainly haven't shown the strength to get inside of them with a strong rip move. I don't see much chance of improvement in this area from them, meaning the answer at DE may ultimately come from outside the Bills, whether it's the draft, free agency, or a trade.

Like I mentioned before, I really think it's a case of much ado about nothing over the carries, but you never can tell. Anything can happen. He does seem to get better as the game goes on, which is a good thing to have, especially late in the season. As long as he's healthy, you have one of the most potent weapons in the entire league come December and January, when the weather factors into games like the next Bills-Dolphins game and the passing game can't be relied upon as much.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

Jamal compared to Ricky. . .

Heh, guess I really don't need to say much more.

No, let me say more. If you're implying that I am equating Jamal Anderson to Ricky Williams, you would be incorrect. I said they have a similar running style, meaning they're big backs with the speed to break away from tackles AND the power to break through them. That's all. Please read the entire post before responding.

Back
Top Bottom