A question on Miami's evaluation criteria | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question on Miami's evaluation criteria

jamvinny

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Guys - A question.

Seemingly Jeff Ireland has a very specific criteria on the kind of player he wants. Does Ireland's narrow scope of evaluation and small draftboard potential means we miss out on a wider pool of talented players? Simply because of the lack size/height (the main factor), college program, etc.

I would hate to think that we could be missing out on great/good players that could make this team better?

I look at the Steelers defence who are the benchmark of mean, tough, aggressive, physical defence and yet look at the size/height of players such as Harrison, Hampton, Foote, Farrior, Woodley. They would not have made our team if you use Ireland's/Parcells height criteria as they are too short.

I really hope that we are not missing out because of this evaluation criteria and philosophy.

I think Bill Parcells had very specific criteria when he was in charge. I think Ireland probably listened to that and formed his own opinions. This guy is a long time scout and can make up his own mind.

Every person has their own criteria, some more stringent than others. No matter what your criteria is, there will always be exceptions.

Point taken, but can Ireland evaluate talent outside the criteria he has been set under the tutelage of Parcells.

I'm beginning to wonder. For being the highest paid RT in the league (if still true) you would expect pro-bowl play and can't see that in Carey and he does look like he is getting worse.

IMO we are still thin at tackle. Who are our quality backups ? With all we have put into the line I was hoping by this time we could be trading starters for picks and having developed replacements standing in line. With us waiting to draft the next guys.

That is what I would expect from a OL guru. Not sure we have one of those.

this FO canNOT evaluate talent. Look at all the OL they drafted/free agents and ****** is soposed to be a OL guru. What a joke.
I cant wait for ross to fire all the clowns.

I'm beginning to wonder. For being the highest paid RT in the league (if still true) you would expect pro-bowl play and can't see that in Carey and he does look like he is getting worse.

IMO we are still thin at tackle. Who are our quality backups ? With all we have put into the line I was hoping by this time we could be trading starters for picks and having developed replacements standing in line. With us waiting to draft the next guys.

That is what I would expect from a OL guru. Not sure we have one of those.

This front office didn't have much at all to work with when they took over, the roster was old from top to bottom and need a complete overhaul (which they did). Carey was a necessary at the time and the best option at the time. Yes they over paid him but not the last two seasons his contract is as follows:

2009: $800,000
2010: $950,000
2011: $4.15 million
2012: $5.05 million
2013: $5.65 million
2014: $4.95 million
Total: $21.55 million

This is the first year of "real" money and next year is another year to address RT if needed.

This line was injured last season more then Miami let on, they lost Jerry, Long was banged up to the point of needing surgery, Carey was banged up and there was a rotating interior line that didn't help the problem, this line doesn't suck, it averaged 119 yards a game in 08 and 139 yards a game in 09, that is not a ****y line that is a good line. Now with Pouncey hopefully providing stability in the middle and a healthy Jerry returning to the mix, with Long and Carey healthy you have one of the biggest nasty lines in the NFL.

The key here isn't the running back it is the line, look at what Denver did under Shanahan and you know what Miami is trying to accomplish, they want a plug a back in and rush for 1300 yards system because the line is nasty.

This line will not put up the number it did last season, they should be close if not better then the 09 numbers.

This coming season there is absolutely no hiding for both FO and coaching staff. Money has been heavily invested in the o-line. I'm disappointed that Sparano has not coached up this unit to a high standard considering the amount of oline players at his disposal. Donald Thomas with all his potential and subsequently released a case in point.

The owner has allowed the trifecta carte blanche in everything including opening his wallet for big money signings, Grove, Smiley, Marshall and Dansby.

This regime maybe heading the way of Wannstedt and Spielman where they did not place urgent emphasis on finding a QB and continued fielding a revolving and inconsistant O-line

Guys - A question.

Seemingly Jeff Ireland has a very specific criteria on the kind of player he wants. Does Ireland's narrow scope of evaluation and small draftboard potential means we miss out on a wider pool of talented players? Simply because of the lack size/height (the main factor), college program, etc.

I would hate to think that we could be missing out on great/good players that could make this team better?

I look at the Steelers defence who are the benchmark of mean, tough, aggressive, physical defence and yet look at the size/height of players such as Harrison, Hampton, Foote, Farrior, Woodley. They would not have made our team if you use Ireland's/Parcells height criteria as they are too short.

I really hope that we are not missing out because of this evaluation criteria and philosophy.

This has been one of my concerns for a long time.

This has been one of my concerns for a long time.

I'm also concerned about our scouting system. What is it that Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Eagles, Colts and now recently Tampa and Atlanta are doing very well when it comes to finding players and making them work?

People have to remember that this current FO/regime had a mix and match, old, and untalented group when they took over. It takes time to get the right players that fit with your system - that includes the OLine. I trust Sparano knows what he's doing with the OL...it didn't help him last year that we were dessimated with injuries and had to scavenge for crap players from other teams. It looks like things are coming together now. And, regarding someone's comments about RT/Carey...Nate Garner can play that position and own it if he needs too.

not sure exactly what " criteria" was used to pass over a shutdown corner for an interior lineman in a draft loaded with them. but it ain't workin'.

Back
Top Bottom