A question to the older fin fans? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question to the older fin fans?

nolefin

thank you
Reaction score
hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. do you think with all these players today getting bigger stronger faster that the old school fins players would be able to play in todays game? like would greise start in the nfl or all these hall of fame players would they have a chance with all these monsters today?

I'm one that says you can't really compare Era's. The game has changed so much. But yes some could play.

honestly MOST of the secondary players from the 60s and 70s would be setting at the house watching imo

rickysux said:
honestly MOST of the secondary players from the 60s and 70s would be setting at the house watching imo

Well I disagree with that, most of the O-line and D-line were much smaller in those days. They would have the most trouble.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I'm one that says you can't really compare Era's. The game has changed so much. But yes some could play.
The game has changed significantly. In the 70's a player took care of his own offseason workout regime. Now there is an army of people employed to keep a player tip top. Also the training methods have advanced and because of the big money involved, younger players get more serious about the game earlier than they would have in the 70's.

I think in the future people are going to get smaller because the love for football, and dedication at such a young age is getting more common, kids are gonna start lifting weights like I did, stunt their growth, and be short lil ****s.

rickysux said:
hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. do you think with all these players today getting bigger stronger faster that the old school fins players would be able to play in todays game? like would greise start in the nfl or all these hall of fame players would they have a chance with all these monsters today?

PS

You calling me old boy!!!! :roflmao:

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Well I disagree with that, most of the O-line and D-line were much smaller in those days. They would have the most trouble.

:yeahthat:

rickysux said:

good question, I think that in most matchups today's athlete's would crush the older guy's. Not in heart or desire, but in strength and speed.

It's a good question. I keep thinking about Greise, he never really had to throw much. And he didn't have the strongest arm.

It's hard to say about him. He was smart and could read defences real well.

Most couldn't. 200 lbs used to be linemen size. A few could though. Warfield and Csonka come to mind. Not sure about Griese.

Csonka played most his career at 235-240 lbs and was considered a BIG fullback. Today there are feature HB's who are bigger than that, as hard as that is to fathom.

Buoniconti ran like 220 lbs. That would be very small today.

Most interior linemen were giants at 270. Needless to say that would not even be considered playing weight for a 3rd stringer now.

The keyword is definitely "different eras" and that is sad Things really started changing in the early 90's with jimmah's Dallas teams.

I am not an old timer but from watching NFL films most of the players back then were savages, they were just big brutes that now hate the rules of the NFL because they are too soft.

Back
Top Bottom