A Rb ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Rb ?

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
The first few picks were ok, kind of, not what I would have done, but who am I. The last pick was down right stupid. I think better RBs went undrafted and would have been available tomorrow. I just don't see passing up Victor Rogers who as late as Feburary was a boderline 1st round pick. Add to that Miami's biggest need area after last season was T, and not one player has been added this whole offseason. Why not take a chance on a guy who could be the steal of the draft, instead of a guy that probably wont make the team. Right now I will give 5-1 odds that the RB in the 7th round(won't bother learning his name) won't be on the September 1st roster or trainging squad. Last year I was just as pissed when we selected Mike Crowell instead of Kasper and Germany, and they both proved me right in spades, i almost gaurntee it happens again. I also have to ask 1 question, how in the hell was Mcmichael #3 on the Dolphins board at TE? Funny that he was like the 10th TE selected and 3 guys went in the 1st round. I am really beginning to wonder about our scouting team, and Rick's evaluations.

Originally posted by Dajesus
I also have to ask 1 question, how in the hell was Mcmichael #3 on the Dolphins board at TE? Funny that he was like the 10th TE selected and 3 guys went in the 1st round. I am really beginning to wonder about our scouting team, and Rick's evaluations.

Teams generally are using TE's mostly as an extra blocker these days so most teams had TE's graded by blocking first. McMicheal won't be blocking lol. Plus McMicheal's weight had dipped as low as 230 but the phins did some work to make sure he was still at his current 247. I believe he is rated 3rd simply because of Norv's schemes.

As for Rick Spielman's evaluations you have nothing to question. He has an excellent scouting/draft history and that's why he has this job for such a young guy.

Plus if Robert Edwards does go down or Ricky and Robert have some injury probs during the season then this guy will have the chance to come off the practice squad and try to steal some of minor's carries.

You have to imagine Stevens wasn't even on our board, so that eliminates him, and once you get past Shockey and Graham you are basically talking about the same kinds of players.

The fact that Jolley went to Oakland in round 2 and we got McMichael in round 4 shows you how good a value pick he was. After the first 2 guys they are all pretty equal.

Crowell was recomended by a "source" and they just happened to miss on that pick, but to say "I told you so" to the front office is not fair. How many people said "excellant, I wanted that Texas Tech LB in the fifth round, great stuff, I know all about him, etc..."??????? You can't go after the "name" players all the time, how many people said the same thing about Rambo last year, and what has he done??

Hindsight is 20/20

The difference is(and ask blitz) it isnt hindsight when you call it ahead of time. I said instantly when Miami picked Crowell(who didn't even know he got drafted because he was playing gulf, while his future was being decided that is was a bad pick, and that Kasper and Germany would make Miami realize that. Just like it isn't hindsight saying right now that a RB was a stupid selection. If he makes the team then i will admit i am wrong, but i have a feeling Rodgers will be playing by season end in Detroit, and the guy from ECU might be in the Arena league if he is lucky.

Rambo and Kasper have done next to nothing in the league so far.

Crowell was recomended by a "source" and they just happened to miss on that pick, but to say "I told you so" to the front office is not fair. How many people said "excellant, I wanted that Texas Tech LB in the fifth round, great stuff, I know all about him, etc..."??????? You can't go after the "name" players all the time, how many people said the same thing about Rambo last year, and what has he done??

One more thing untill this staff picks up an all pro in the 5th round i will continue to second guess. That is my right as a fan.

Rogers is a big slob who is constantly battling injury and weight. Detroit has a really good line, so I doubt he will even make the Lions' roster.

If Rogers was really good he wouldn't have been the 3rd to last pick in the whole draft. Just because you read somewhere that he is good, doesn't mean he will be.

I didn't want Henry either, but if we passed on Rogers it must have been for a good reason....they just wouldn't be like "duh, golley, let's pass on Rogers because he is the best talent left at a need position...." Obviously there is something wrong with the guy you AND I don't know about.

And about Crowell and playing golf....what else is he supposed to do? Whether he is playing golf or sitting around masterbating has no difference when he can't control a damn thing about where and when he is drafted. Soooooo many players are doing other things to get their minds off it, they can't stand "the waiting game" so they do something else. i know for sure I wouldn't be waiting with my hand on the phone waiting for a call, I'd be out enjoying myself and letting something I couldn't alter take its course.

Actully as I was watching Colorado last season in their 5 games that were nationaly televised, I said to my self "wow, that Rodgers kid is really pushing the defense around like little school girls." At the same time the rest of the college football world was saying the same thing. It wasn't untill after the seaosn that people started saying "well he was injured then...he runs 1 tenth of a second to slow...blah blah blah." The same way that most of the people that watched colege football noticed Zach Thomas was a tackleing machine. The same way thoose same people said "well he is 2 inched to short to make it in the nfl." I live by the general rule that if you perform on the feild I don't give a flying F how fast you run, or what you injured 2 years ago. I am just saying taking a shot on a T who played his way to the first round, but offseasoned himself to the 7th would be better than taking a RB who will have to compete with 3 guys who are sure to make the team. As last year shows Miami will only carry 3 tail backs.

By the way, Kasper and Germany basically made their teams by default. How many WRs wouldn't make Denver or Buffalo??? hehehehe Those are 2 of the weekest WR units in the league, depth wise.

I am not arguing that Crowell was a bad pick, and that Henry may be a bad pick, I am just saying you have no idea about Rogers so to say he would have been better is ridiculous.

You don't go from round 1 to round 7 by running a slower than expected 40, it doesn't work like that. All 32 teams don't go by measurables, some do, some don't. So if he had a clean bill of health and had the talent he wouldn't last until pick 259. It just doesn't work that way. I never heard one scout talk about him being a first rounder, and in fact saw on a few publications that he was a 6th rounder at best, and this was before he "offseasoned himself" out of the first round.

I was intrigued by Rogers but the fact that EVERY TEAM passed on him so many times makes you wonder why he slipped. They obviously know more than you or I.

Zach Thomas was passed on because of his size, he was never considered a high pick, like Rogers, so that comparison is a bad one.

Did you ever stop to think that tose last 5 games might have been an abberation? I don't know, but I have seen lots of reports say he is lazy and has a bad work eithic. Could we all have just seen him on a hot streak? I haven't studied every snap of his career like our scouts probobly did. Neither did you, so we can't go on the last 5 games of his collegian career.

Originally posted by Dajesus
The first few picks were ok, kind of, not what I would have done, but who am I. The last pick was down right stupid. I think better RBs went undrafted and would have been available tomorrow. I just don't see passing up Victor Rogers who as late as Feburary was a boderline 1st round pick. Add to that Miami's biggest need area after last season was T, and not one player has been added this whole offseason. Why not take a chance on a guy who could be the steal of the draft, instead of a guy that probably wont make the team. Right now I will give 5-1 odds that the RB in the 7th round(won't bother learning his name) won't be on the September 1st roster or trainging squad. Last year I was just as pissed when we selected Mike Crowell instead of Kasper and Germany, and they both proved me right in spades, i almost gaurntee it happens again. I also have to ask 1 question, how in the hell was Mcmichael #3 on the Dolphins board at TE? Funny that he was like the 10th TE selected and 3 guys went in the 1st round. I am really beginning to wonder about our scouting team, and Rick's evaluations.
taking a guy with these stats:

All-Conference USA first-team choice, as he set a conference single-season record with 1,432 yards on 184 carries (7.8 avg) with 16 touchdowns, topping the previous mark of 1,289 yards by Frank Moreau of Louisville (1999) (note-Tulane's Mewelde Moore rushed for 1,421 yards in 2001) …

with the 30th pick in the 7th round is not stupid, especially when we only have 2 proven HBs and guys that has not played in this millenium.

Rick/Wanne feel they are all set at OL with Mckinney unless they get guaranteed upgrade like a Brockmeyer. Rodgers was not that guy in the 7th round.

I disagree. I was upset when we did not get Rogers in the seventh. I think Rogers some day can be a solid starter whereas Henry at best will be a backup. You have to look at potential when you are picking in the later rounds. You can take risk then.

The point is..........bitching about picks from the 5th round on is like bitching about who the water boy is. 90% of the time these players aren't going to make the team in anything more then a special teams area and maybe 3-4 after the 5th round ever start a season and maybe 1-2 has a decent career lasting more then 5 years.

Not a single person on this board can say with any accuracy that this and that person will be a star cause of those odds. 99% of the time they will be wrong. Whereas saying this person will fail is far too easy to call since most of them do.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
The point is..........bitching about picks from the 5th round on is like bitching about who the water boy is. 90% of the time these players aren't going to make the team in anything more then a special teams area and maybe 3-4 after the 5th round ever start a season and maybe 1-2 has a decent career lasting more then 5 years.

Not a single person on this board can say with any accuracy that this and that person will be a star cause of those odds. 99% of the time they will be wrong. Whereas saying this person will fail is far too easy to call since most of them do.

perfect.

Back
Top Bottom