A REAL Recipe for Success | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A REAL Recipe for Success

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Q: Over the past six seasons, who has been the best/most talented team in the NFL?

A: The Pittsburgh Steelers. It’s not close.

How have they gone about it?

Most glaring: they got their franchise QB. This, though, got them an invitation to the dance. It didn’t ensure that they’d come away with any trophies. Aside from Big Ben, they’ve continued to build their team the way they have for years; they’d likely have more SB’s if it weren’t for poor QB play letting them down in prior seasons.

So, again, how did they amass such talent?

Well, let’s talk about what they didn’t do—using the Jets and Patriots as talking points.

They didn’t trade away draft picks and spend big bucks on big-name FA’s. They didn’t mortgage their future for a three or four year run—while implementing a rookie QB into the mix. I maintain that the Jets methodology is extremely flawed.

They didn’t continuously trade away their proven players for draft picks or continuously trade down to acquire more draft picks—giving up quality for quantity in the delusion that they’re THAT much smarter than the rest of the NFL. Unlike the Patriots—who lost to the Jets, even though they had the much better QB, because they were the much less talented team—they didn’t/haven’t held the position that they’re the only team in the NFL that knows how to evaluate draft talent, that other teams will pass on players who should be rated higher.

The Steelers spend their cap money primarily on retaining players, and they spend their draft picks on the best available players at position that will improve the team. Do they miss? Everyone misses. But, they don’t often trade up or down (I can’t remember them doing either), and they draft players who fit their system. Worilds will likely one day be a major contributor on that D—likely have 10+ sack seasons. Many people on FH loved him as a prospect. No surprise he ends up in Pittsburgh—even though they already have Harrison and Woodley.

They keep their players, and they draft with purpose and without ego.

I should add a caveat: getting their franchise QB was paramount. Big Ben happened to fall to them. If you have to trade up to get your franchise QB, by all means, you do it. Without Big Ben, you’re talking about the most talented team that can’t win a SB.

If you listen to NFL Sirius, Mike Wallace was on last week. He was very interesting and pointed out why the Steelers are so good. They have a culture. He talked about how Hines Ward took him under his wing and taught him what it was to be a Steeler receiver, they block, they hit people, they go over the middle, they are tough. He talked about how James Harrison did the same with Lamar Woodley. How Troy does it with the young DBs. The value of having the same system in place for years at a time is so important. It allows your vets to be your vets. They grow up with your attitude, principles and understanding. I'm glad we didn't blow up the entire coaching staff. I think we are starting to get some of that on Defense at least. Guys like Starks, Langford, Solai, Merling, Crowder and Bell have been here with this regime. I think this will go a big way in keeping our young guys to becoming pros. The Colts do the same thing. Listen to Gracon talk this year, he said Reggie has taught him how to run his routes, read the defense, and think like Colt receiver. He in turn taught White. He talked about how Reggie was taught by Marvin. I think having proven vets in your system who can teach your young guy form a player perspective is huge. I hope we are starting to see that. Don't get me wrong, we don't have pro bowlers at most positions but I think Odrick will turn out great because of the guys ahead of him. I think if we draft another OLB he will learn from Misi and Wake. I think the biggest thing is when you do sign a FA and you have a strong culture they have to bend to it, not the other way around.

I think that's a big part of it. But, the Steelers are better than the Colts because they draft much better. Stability and culture, though, are huge.

I will add, I dont even want them(Miami) to trade away if the top guys are gone. Our QB position has been and continues to be the bane of our team. They need to draft the Best QB available in the 1st round every year until 1 hits. Can you imagine if Shula would have traded away his pick in 83 because the "top" qb's were gone at that point? I mean even if Locker with all the glaring weaknesses is the top QB left at that point then i'd be willing they go for it. I hate Locker as a prospect but they need to grab the best QB available every year.

I dont care if it takes the next 3 drafts to find that guy, I would respect this Regime all that much more because they tried to improve the most important position our team.
Chubbs

They draft BPA and play like their lives are on the line. Any potential problems (S Holmes) are shipped out.

The Steelers also led the league in payroll last year.

Yes, but what is Pittsburgh known for? They win their games with defense and running the ball, as evidenced by yesterdays game. As far as Qb play goes, Sanchez outplayed Big Ben. The running game was the difference.

btw, nice thread title.

Yes, but what is Pittsburgh known for? They win their games with defense and running the ball, as evidenced by yesterdays game. As far as Qb play goes, Sanchez outplayed Big Ben. The running game was the difference.

btw, nice thread title.

Over the last few years, Pittsburgh's running game has been inconsistent. I think most people were very surprised that they were able to run the ball that well against the Jets. And, Sanchez didn't outplay Big Ben.

Over the last few years, Pittsburgh's running game has been inconsistent. I think most people were very surprised that they were able to run the ball that well against the Jets. And, Sanchez didn't outplay Big Ben.

You are kidding, correct?

20-33, 233 yards, 2 Tds, O ints
10-16, 133 yards, 0 Tds, 2 ints

Care to guess which group of these stats belong to Big Ben?

Back
Top Bottom