A refresher on RW from November SI | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A refresher on RW from November SI

"I could gain 2,000 yards weighing 210 pounds, which was my college weight."

:yes:

Yeah, I answered -- during the five years that you played, when you were healthy. "I think I could've been better," he responded. "I could've done more individually and helped lead a team to a championship. But it wasn't meant to be. I've had so many blessings in my career and in life, I'm not going to sit here and dwell on what might have been. That was the way my career turned out, and I can live with that."

He'll get a second chance to do more.

DW should be ashamed... no wonder he bolted for the college ranks...nobody would hire him because no players would play for him..... little wonder we could not sign any FA's during DW's days...

No doubt Williams could have been great - one of the greatest of all time. It isn't too late for him. If he truely desires to excel, he will. He is a rare talent. If it weren't for Wanny, Williams probably would have faced up to his failed tests. Or, to take it a step further, he may have cared enough to not do it at all. After a while, when you are in a bad situation, you lose the ability to give a S***. Granted, this sounds like a big excuse for Williams. But it isn't so far fetched. Williams lost his desire to play for Wannstedt - not to play football. And things in his personal life may have snowballed from there. Who knows.

Hardly one to make predictions... but I doubt DW gets another HC shot in the NFL... just too much stuff has come to the surface... from players and coaches...

SCall13 said:
No doubt Williams could have been great - on eof the greatest all time. It isn't too late for him. If he truly desires to excel, he will. He is a rare talent. If it weren't for Wanny, Williams probably would have faced up to his failed tests. Or, to take it a step further, he may have cared enough to not do it at all. After a while, when you are in a bad situation, you lose the ability to give a S***. Granted, this sounds like a big excuse for Williams. But it isn't so far fetched. Williams lost his desire to play for Wannstedt - not to play football. And things in his personal life may have snowballed from there. Who knows.

:up:

thedayafter said:
Hardly one to make predictions... but I doubt DW gets another HC shot in the NFL... just too much stuff has come to the surface... from players and coaches...

I'LL be coaching in the NFL before Wannstedt. :D

SCall13 said:
No doubt Williams could have been great - on eof the greatest all time. It isn't too late for him. If he truly desires to excel, he will. He is a rare talent. If it weren't for Wanny, Williams probably would have faced up to his failed tests. Or, to take it a step further, he may have cared enough to not do it at all. After a while, when you are in a bad situation, you lose the ability to give a S***. Granted, this sounds like a big excuse for Williams. But it isn't so far fetched. Williams lost his desire to play for Wannstedt - not to play football. And things in his personal life may have snowballed from there. Who knows.

• I agree... and if RW was going to be that guy for DW and carry the pill (ie shorten his career) then he wanted more money.... or out.
  • The 2004 Miami Dolphins season was a bigger soap opera than "Housewives"
  • Everyone talks about how closed Saban is to the media.... my question is.... where was the media when Mr. Open Book himself (DW) was running our team into the ground.... "off the record"... sheesh...

Don't hold your breath -- Williams says he neither misses the game nor craves money, which would be the only two compelling reasons to return.

"Ricky, what if I were to tell you that You OWED the Phins 8.7 MILLION dollars?"

"After I stepped in the quicksand in the Australian rainforest and cut up my foot" Williams said -- see my story in the Scorecard section of this week's Sports Illustrated for further explanation. "I basically couldn't walk for two months, and it really helped me to slow down in general. I had to make every step count, and now when I get a chance to move around I appreciate it like never before."
:eek: :eek: So he DID get an infection like a person on this board said and was berated by other board members.

Ricky is so full of shjt, its coming out of his ears. He was the one that asked to be left in on 3rd downs. He was the one that didnt come out of the game when he got tired, even though he had the authority to do so anytime he wanted.

Then he gets an interview and doesnt want to admit that he is the cause of his own troubles, so he blames someone else. What a punk.

yankeehillbilly said:
Ricky is so full of shjt, its coming out of his ears. He was the one that asked to be left in on 3rd downs. He was the one that didnt come out of the game when he got tired, even though he had the authority to do so anytime he wanted.

Then he gets an interview and doesnt want to admit that he is the cause of his own troubles, so he blames someone else. What a punk.

• RW played with a hard nosed sense of purpose.... I don't think anyone can question his commitment to running the ball.
  • Maybe he stayed in the game to help the team win. Maybe after the season when all the crap started he felt differently.
  • Is he responsible for some of it ... no question.
  • But look at all the FA's that would not even play for DW... the guy was a farce, players, coaches and agents knew this.... they bailed on the front side.

yankeehillbilly said:

It wasn't about being in the game. It was about being hammered up the middle 35 times a game. Ricky Williams was/is a competitor. He wanted to stay in the game. But he could have been used as a decoy, been thrown the ball more where he was in the open field(as opposed to being hammered up the middle) Also, his dedication to his team mates, believe it or not, probably had a lot to do with why he stayed in. He felt obligated to be in there, to carry the team. When the next season rolled around, he simply decided he didn't want to kill himself for someone like Wannstedt anymore. Now that he sees a change in the organization, a new philosophy, and realize he will be a PART of a much improved offense, more wide open and MUCH less predictable - and not the ONLY part of a vanilla offense, he probably feels rejuvenated and ready to get back on the field and contribute with a lighter load and lower expectations of him having to carry the entire team.

Back
Top Bottom