A review- The draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A review- The draft

D0lphan72

4/23/2020
Club Member
Reaction score
I saw last year Hayden, Hooshoops, and I think.. WV reviewed the games of how it went player ratings etc. I figured I'd join in there. Alot of opinions can't hurt. Starting with the draft.

Overall Draft- This draft has been the best (on paper) this team has had yet. We filled practically every hole and took advantage of what we had in front of us. Ireland shows he has a big sack by trading up for Jordan, I don't think anyone anticipated that whatsoever. We took quality players that fit our current coaches philosophies and strategies. Now for the individual ratings.

1 (3)- Dion Jordan (DE,OLB) I will admit when I saw us trade up i fully expected Lane Johnson, and I wanted him. When I watched Goodell say his name I was actually very mad. Given I knew nothing about him. I even posted a thread saying how mad I was (which I got ripped apart for lol) but after seeing everyone on finheaven talking about it and how good he is i came around. Thinking about how big an impact this guy will have in unreal. The most important thing in pass defense is the rush. You could have Revis and Sherman as your corners and the QB will eventually find someone open with no pass rush. Having a good pass rush automatically makes the defense better. With Wake probably getting 1 on 1's now our turnover rate will increase significantly. Jordan will force teams to take account for our pass rush and will do things on offense that ultimately make life easier on our corners and safeties with extra coverage help by linebackers due to tight ends staying to block or less time needed to cover the receiver due to better pass rush. With Soliai and Wake pushing the line back and Wake and Jordan crashing on the end, and an occasional rush by Ellerbe or Misi, opposing quarterbacks will be scared.

2 (54)- Jamar Taylor (CB) The first time I actually heard of him and recognized him was the night of the first round actually. I looked up the remaining corners and watched tape on each of them. I don't like to brag but I usually can tell how good a player is judging by a little bit of tape, and let me say. This kid can play. I'm not necessarily saying he's the next Richard Sherman, but Ireland certainly got his value in this pick. I was with the girlfriend when we drafted him and when I heard his name I jumped up and was soooo excited. I loved everything I saw on tape from him. He is solid at every aspect. He can cover anyone he goes against and isn't afraid of anyone. He has excellent tackling form as well. I don't see him as the most aggressive tackler ever but he certainly isn't a ***** either. I am very excited to see our CB combo of Grimes and Taylor this year!

3 (77)- Dallas Thomas (OG,OT) I honestly never heard of this guy before we drafted him. I wasn't overly excited when I saw he was listed as a guard either. I am hearing from a lot of people that he is a guard and shouldn't be playing tackle at the NFL level. I don't know what my stance on his tackle position is but I do know my stance on him playing guard. I watched every snap of him playing against Alabama, one of the best, if not the best defense in the nation. Every single play i watched him in at LG i saw nothing but solidness and good blocks, from running plays to pass protection. Not one defender got past him to the quarterback when he dropped back and i saw open gaps for the running back too. He even pulled a few times and did an excellent job at it too! I don't know if he will be starting this year, at any position, with Lance Louis being added. Anything could happen with him being moved to RG and Jerry being slid out. All I know is i loved what I saw and wouldn't be complaining at all if he started week one.

3 (93)- Will Davis (CB)
I could easily tell this was the unpopular pick amongst the fans. I actually had no opinion of this when I was witnessing this. I watched tape on him immediately and saw a couple things. The first is he has some trouble making tackles. He doesn't seem like a ***** (Sean Smith) when tackling, but also doesn't seem aggressive either. When he goes to make a tackle it look completely normal until they come close to contact. It looks like he flinches or something, which isn't good. I believe this can be coached and he can and will be helped. His coverage looks very good each play and he seems to have good instincts when covering. He has a couple knocks here and there but I believe it can be coached as well. Something I noticed and like to think is that he is an extremely hard worker. He seems like he takes pride in his work and got to the NFL based purely off hard work. I think Ireland took this as a safety pick. If he plays well this season he can take the reigns from Grimes and pair up with Taylor next season. If he fails we have to address the CB position next season. His fate truly depends on the coaching he receives IMO.

4 (104)- Jelani Jenkins (OLB) This was the beginning of the Miami Gators in the 2013 draft, and I couldn't have been happier to see him as the starting piece. Jenkins automatically adds to our pass defense. He was one of the best coverage linebackers in the draft and added much needed depth to our LB corps. He obviously is going to help in our battles with the patriots and their two headed monster at tight end. He had an injury plagued 2012 season, we can certainly help that knack by throwing him in there only on passing situations while steadily setting him ready to take the reigns from wheeler once his expensive contract expires or if we cut him. Jenkins stock fell due to injury and unknown reasons, he fell farther than expected and we scooped him right up. A nice steal. He should provide good pass help on all aspects, zone and man. Our 2 minute defense just rose that much more due to the drafting of Jenkins.

4 (106)- Dion Sims (TE) The Dolphins certainly had a solid TE corps, adding Dustin Keller; a good pass catching tight end, and Charles Clay, who made strides last season. The tight end corps desperately needed a blocking tight end for goal line and short yardage situations. They got just that in Dion Sims. He is probably the best blocking tight end in the draft and could block anyone that faces him. He will help dramatically in extra blocking for Tannehill and is a tall red zone threat for Tannehill to chuck it up to and hope he catches it. Sims will not be starting any games this season for Miami unless (knock on wood) Keller and Clay get injured and Egnew keeps ****ing up. But he will see the field a decent amount and should certainly add to this teams offensive success.

5 (164) Mike Gillislee (RB) Miami has given the torch to Lamar Miller this offseason, he obviously did enough last season to prove to them that he's ready. He certainly convinced me as well. That doesn't necessarily mean Miami didn't need a running back though. Daniel Thomas is known as a failure with his horrible yard per carry. He has been injured too much and the Dolphins have lost faith in him. They drafted Gillislee in hopes that he would become what Thomas didn't. Gillislee is a very solid running back and should give Miller well deserved rest. He is known to be an excellent pass blocker. Something Miller isn't. Gillislee has excellent down field vision and can hit gaps. Him and Miller should make a fine 1-2 punch and will be an effective rushing group for Miami.

5 (166) Caleb Sturgis (K) Dan Carpenter has been mediocre these past few seasons, and he's costing Miami too much money too. So the Dolphins picked Caleb Sturgis to be his replacement. Many would rather have had Dustin Hopkins, but can certainly settle for Sturgis, who is well known for his excellent accuracy. He should provide reliable kicking for the Dolphins for years to come. the last of the Gators to join the Dolphins.

7 (250) Don Jones (SS) Jones was a mystery pick, knowing Lester and Jefferson were still on the board. The Dolphins must have liked what they saw when picking him. He comes from a small school in Arkansas State. He recorded impressive numbers at his pro day with a 4.4 40 time and large vertical leap. The Dolphins are probably taking him to be a special teams player and nothing else. He will sit behind Jimmy Wilson and can hope to play on defense for mop up.

The Dolphins had an excellent draft. I did not give grades because I do not believe in giving a grade without the player even visiting the facility yet. I think the Dolphins will only improve from this draft and will be a force to be reckoned with, especially on defense. Our playoff chances all rest on Tannehill and he will be the deciding factor for this team. I see Ireland certainly won back some of the crowd in this offseason, me being one of them. I hope you guys liked this write up and look forward to many more to come! :up: #finsup!

Back
Top Bottom