A shift in Dolphins Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A shift in Dolphins Draft?

TeeMoney

Kid A
Club Member
Reaction score
For so long now it's reported that Miami will select a RB at #2. First it was Benson, then it was Brown. Now more and more have Miami selecting Smith, and Edwards is gaining in the mocks for Miami.

Saban's discussions about the #2 pick lean towards a pick for the future. An explosive player that will benefit the "franchise" in years to come. He bristles at questions about the #2 pick- it seems that he would rather have a bunch of lower picks so that it's ok if they fail. This really seems to bother him- the fact that the #2 pick should be a great player. In today's NFL RB's are interchangeable plug and play pieces in Offensive strategy. WR's, LT's, TE's and QB's are the elite players in todays NFL offenses.

Tee,

I think Saban just wants to collect as many weapons as he can, thus the desire to trade down. We all know there is no sure thing in the draft, obviously Saban also know that and therefore gets irritated when people allude to his need to take so-and-so in the draft because they are the "sure thing".

TeeMoney said:
For so long now it's reported that Miami will select a RB at #2. First it was Benson, then it was Brown. Now more and more have Miami selecting Smith, and Edwards is gaining in the mocks for Miami.

Saban's discussions about the #2 pick lean towards a pick for the future. An explosive player that will benefit the "franchise" in years to come. He bristles at questions about the #2 pick- it seems that he would rather have a bunch of lower picks so that it's ok if they fail. This really seems to bother him- the fact that the #2 pick should be a great player. In today's NFL RB's are interchangeable plug and play pieces in Offensive strategy. WR's, LT's, TE's and QB's are the elite players in todays NFL offenses.

Your assuming it will be an offensive player....that could be a mistake. I wouldn't discount him taking a defensive player....especially if that player can help at two positions...someone like Merriman. A player like him has great value...and could be a key player long after Zack, Seau and Taylor are gone.

Yep.Alex Smith is the flavor of the week this week.Who will it be next week.?

Saban has said he wanted an explosive player, and obviously Miami's offense is in need of some explosives, er, explosive players. I am one of the few that think Saban could take a D-Lineman, they have a greater chance of being pro-bowl players than any other position in the first round. I don't think Saban cares what the flavor of the week is, but as pro days and combines come and go there is a heightened level of awareness on different players, and it only natural for people to talk about the players in the headlines. I don't think there is anything wrong with that- especially amongst fans who do not delve deep within the college ranks. Superficial fans will always discuss what ESPN or NFL networks tell them to discuss, Crunchtime.

fishypete said:
Your assuming it will be an offensive player....that could be a mistake. I wouldn't discount him taking a defensive player....especially if that player can help at two positions...someone like Merriman. A player like him has great value...and could be a key player long after Zack, Seau and Taylor are gone.
I don't think there is anyway we take a Defensive player at #2. If we trade down, then that is a different story.

I think Saban is just throwing out a lot of smoke screens....by saying one week he is taking a QB, and the next a RB, and maybe possibly a WR (Edwards) he makes the #2 worth more because the teams after us are not sure what we are going to do. I like Saban's tactics and applaud his efforts to keep the media from not knowing everything.....in the long run it is for the good of the team, even though it probably frustrates most of the fans and media.

Roman529 said:
....by saying one week he is taking a QB, and the next a RB, and maybe possibly a WR (Edwards)....

When has he EVER said something like this? "smokescreen" is just a buzzword people are using now because they can't think for themselves. Saban hasn't said anything misleading regarding the #2 pick. I think he's been honest and straightforward when asked about the pick. He's not going to say who is in his top 5, but he's not being misleading when he won't answer that question. Why does anyone expect him to say "yeah, we are going to pick Edwards if he is there at #2"? And if he doesn't say that, why do people assume he is being misleading or devious?

TeeMoney said:
In today's NFL RB's are interchangeable plug and play pieces in Offensive strategy.

Our software must not have been compatible with the plug n' play hardware we tried to plug in last year.

No, the Motherboard didn't have the right socket for it!!

TeeMoney said:
In today's NFL RB's are interchangeable plug and play pieces in Offensive strategy.

That is just not true at all -- funny, but not true..

People who try and speculate(this hard) and "feel" which way the dolphins will go with the #2 are just wasting their time and energy, sorry. If you want the best player in the draft you choose Edwards, regardless of need.

FiN.in.RI said:
... If you want the best player in the draft you choose Edwards...

In your opinion. I wouldn't be upset if Saban picked Edwards, but there are plenty of reasons to think Smith is BPA, or Pollack, or Benson, or Williams (either). And plenty of reasons to think otherwise :)

TeeMoney said:
Saban has said he wanted an explosive player, and obviously Miami's offense is in need of some explosives, er, explosive players. I am one of the few that think Saban could take a D-Lineman, they have a greater chance of being pro-bowl players than any other position in the first round. I don't think Saban cares what the flavor of the week is, but as pro days and combines come and go there is a heightened level of awareness on different players, and it only natural for people to talk about the players in the headlines. I don't think there is anything wrong with that- especially amongst fans who do not delve deep within the college ranks. Superficial fans will always discuss what ESPN or NFL networks tell them to discuss, Crunchtime.

You must not have seen Saban's "there is no Julius Peppers in this draft" comment on Thursday. He only goes D-line if we trade out of the top 10 because there are some good players but none worth Jason Taylor money.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
You must not have seen Saban's "there is no Julius Peppers in this draft" comment on Thursday.

Because he didn't say that.

Back
Top Bottom