A surprise pick at #19 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A surprise pick at #19

Kyle Fuller or Hasean Dix wouldn't be out of the question. If Anthony Barr fell that far he could be another Dion. I honestly think we're trading down with the Browns or Saints.

Can't really speculate about trading down when we have no idea who's going to be available at 19 and what teams would be interested. Yeah, it'd be nice, but I'm more concerned with who we'd pick at 19 rather than thinking it'd be a trade down

Hageman (DL Minnesota). He is better than Francis & Aaitui.

RH is versatile. He could be an NT, 5 technique (3-4 DE), & 4-3 DT

Odrick, Hageman, Starks, Shelby, & Mitchell would rotate as the down linemen. Wake, Misi, Jordan, Ellerbe, & Vernon as the LB w/ Jenkins and Wheeler off the bench.

The personnel listed above would allow for multiple looks/schemes/formation i.e. like the 3-5-3 Wanny used once or twice to perplex Brady

Not trying to bust your balls or anything but that would be an awful pick considering what we have on the team. You don't draft DT in first round when you already have three starting-caliber players on the D line.

Offensive line or linebacker would be my guess for the first round. Although I think we can land a hell of a linebacker in the second round in Van Noy or Borland.

the way Free Agency pretty much dictates RT or OG. At 19 id be surprised if any other position is taken over that. In no way do i see a DT with off field issues being taken. With Mitchell and Starks signed to go with Odrick in a starting rotation not a chance do they draft a DT at 19.

I'd be into Hageman there. If he's there at 19 you gotta think he's bpa or at least very very close.

Personally, I have a good feeling Kyle Fuller will be bpa at 19. We should take him, imo, which some might consider 'surprise'. Though I don't think the FO would do this given all the recent investments in the position.

If Fuller is there and we pass on him for anyone less than a top 15 guy, I will not be happy with the FO.

Great potential as a DT, he can be a sleeper pick. But my concern is his motor. Is he going to disappear every other play. If motivated, can be a dominate player for years to come.

My surprise pick for Miami at #19 would be Brandin Cooks. The Dolphins could address offensive line in R2 and R3 and put a formidable offense on the field.

I wouldn't put CB out of the question. There's a group of 5 guys that are legitimate 1st RD CB's (imo). Verrett reminds me a lot of Grimes, but he's a better athlete. I don't know the status of his injury, but I can see Miami's DB coaches seeing a better version of Grimes (who has thrived in their system). Wouldn't surprise me. If Ryan Shazier is there, I think that's the easiest pick you can make. This is a guy that makes drive changing plays and game changing plays on a consistent basis, and he's one of the most athletic LB's of the last 10 years. After Clowney and Robinson are off the board, I wouldn't fault any team for drafting Shazier. And he takes on blocks much better than people give him credit for. He can play Mike.
I see that as a likely pick for Miami. I love that he can move inside on passing downs. That could allow Miami to put Jordan on the field at linebacker and have a front seven that can really get after the qb -- Wake, Vernon, Starks, Mitchell, Jordan, Shazier and Ellerbe (or Odrick over Mitchell maybe).

I see that as a likely pick for Miami. I love that he can move inside on passing downs. That could allow Miami to put Jordan on the field at linebacker and have a front seven that can really get after the qb -- Wake, Vernon, Starks, Mitchell, Jordan, Shazier and Ellerbe (or Odrick over Mitchell maybe).

I would love to have Shazier, but I don't think he falls to 19, and I don't think we'd be willing to trade up for him - though I would consider it at the right price.

My surprise pick for Miami at #19 would be Brandin Cooks. The Dolphins could address offensive line in R2 and R3 and put a formidable offense on the field.

Not disagreeing with you, but who would Cooks replace? My thinking is Gibson as the slot. While I like Cooks, I'm not spending a 1st on a slot WR.

Honestly don't understand why the Z Martin crowd can't comprehend the bold. "But he's versatile" so is Wesley Johnson, a projected 5th-6th rounder. There are even guys that may be in the 4th-5th that could start.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I would love to have Shazier, but I don't think he falls to 19, and I don't think we'd be willing to trade up for him - though I would consider it at the right price.

Who do you think takes Shazier before us?

Not disagreeing with you, but who would Cooks replace? My thinking is Gibson as the slot. While I like Cooks, I'm not spending a 1st on a slot WR.

Honestly don't understand why the Z Martin crowd can't comprehend the bold. "But he's versatile" so is Wesley Johnson, a projected 5th-6th rounder. There are even guys that may be in the 4th-5th that could start.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Who do you think takes Shazier before us?

I can see him going as high as #8 to Minnesota; I can see Detroit liking him at #10; I wouldn't rule out Tennessee (would be a 3-4 ILB there - kind of like a Timmons, Bowman, or Daryl Washington); and I think the Giants might also give him a long look. And if he's still there, he'd make sense for Baltimore.

I can see him going as high as #8 to Minnesota; I can see Detroit liking him at #10; I wouldn't rule out Tennessee (would be a 3-4 ILB there - kind of like a Timmons, Bowman, or Daryl Washington); and I think the Giants might also give him a long look. And if he's still there, he'd make sense for Baltimore.

Honestly I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it to our pick....sure it's possible but if I was making a bet I'd without a doubt bank on him going in the 20s. I haven't seen any indications of him going very high and there's better fits for all those teams. Could happen, but I think it's a lot more likely Shazier is there then say Zach Martin, WILL's just don't go that high.
'

Honestly I'd be shocked if he doesn't make it to our pick....sure it's possible but if I was making a bet I'd without a doubt bank on him going in the 20s. I haven't seen any indications of him going very high and there's better fits for all those teams. Could happen, but I think it's a lot more likely Shazier is there then say Zach Martin, WILL's just don't go that high.
'

I understand that, but I don't think people appreciate the skill set we're talking about with this player. We're talking about a guy who has a really good chance of being the top player at either 4-3 WLB or 3-4 WILB, and if needed, I think he can also play and excel at MIKE. The WLB in our D is a very productive position - guys are in position to make a lot of plays. In the same scheme (more or less) in Cincinnati, Vontaze Burfict led the NFL in tackling; he also had 3 sacks, a FF, and an INT. Wheeler was easy to spot as terrible (very early), because he was in position to make so many plays. You put a headhunter like Ryan Shazier in that spot, it changes our D. Mosley is fine, but I'd rather keep Ellerbe at MLB - MLB seems to be a much less productive position in this D. And Ryan Shazier is a much better prospect than Mosley, imo. Faster, stronger, more explosive, productive, and dynamic by just about any measure.

I wouldn't mind this pick at all. We need rare talent. I didn't think Hageman took as many plays off as conventional wisdom. Maybe it was pure timing but every game I watched he was wreaking havoc.

Defensive tackle is a vital position and minus Soliai I think we're weaker than most fans concede. Last year if we had just stayed put at #12 we could have had a choice of Eifert or Richardson. That's absolutely sickening, given how either of those positions could have been fortified for years. Those were the two guys I would have debated at that slot, as I mentioned in the who-would-you-have-taken thread. It was supposedly a weak draft but those guys were sitting there. Instead, we surrender #42 and end up with a skinny projection.

Maybe Easley could be there in the second or third round. I don't know where he's estimated to fall, after the injury. I know the Canes couldn't block him at all last year. Easley is the type of gamble I like, a guy who was a premier recruit coming out of high school who also displayed dominance as a collegian yet circumstances have pushed him far lower than his talent warrants.

If you keep finding excuses to bypass the rare talents for projections or overachiever types, you're destined to remain in the mediocre range. Fans rationalize that we aren't in a position to wait for a player. Meanwhile, we end up with early round picks who do nothing and look terrible. Would you rather wait for Dominique Easley or pick another Egnew or Thomas? It's always cute when we draft guys who supposedly aren't seriously injured, like Taylor or Thomas, and then get flooded with apologetic threads after their rookie year ends up as a bust. I'd rather concede we have to wade through a redshirt year on a legitimately talented guy with undeniable upside. The 49ers must be laughing like heck at the bargains they've acquired recently.

Back
Top Bottom