A what would you do at 13... No Apple, only 1 QB taken | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A what would you do at 13... No Apple, only 1 QB taken

Is Davis really being pegged a CB?...Thought he was a FS/SS.

He played CB last season, and he'd like to continue playing CB. I think press CB is his best fit in the NFL. He's an A+ athlete, and he's a physical player, but his read and react doesn't match his physical tools. Put him in a WR's face and let him go athlete vs athlete. I also love that he had 7 forced fumbles at Maryland - five coming in 2015 as a CB. Davis has high upside as a CB, with a relatively high floor. He's also a very strong special teams contributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
In that scenario, I'd be looking at Billings, Ogbah, Lee. if Nkemdiche's passion for the game checks out, he's in there.

I haven't watched Wentz at all really, so I can't say if we should take him. I would have my eye on Cook, Prescott (to a lesser extent - he has it all skills-wise but he never seems to look like he's tapping into his full potential) and the Alabama kid.

Well, in that scenario I would take Wentz. I'm not a believer in waiting and waiting for a quarterback to pan out. Naturally there are examples when it has happened, and I'm more encouraged with a young guy in charge as opposed to last year when there was no logical hope for major advancement since we were merely a slightly altered version of the prior two years, but overall I default to probability and where 50/50 falls. We keep trying to pretend that the lower percentage route is just fine. We'll be the exception.

Obviously we won't take a quarterback. Given that reality I'd debate between Nkemdiche and Darron Lee, but default to the bigger guy. As I mentioned last night, I really don't know where Nkemdiche will fall, given his supposed issues. The Nawrocki draft guide makes the point that Nkemdiche's older brother has been the problem, that Robert idolizes him and has made some poor choices while being in denial of his brother's faults.

There really are fewer great athletes than standard in this draft. For example, last year there was a buzz on a second tier cornerback. But he was Byron Jones, who tested as a freak athlete and justified the hype. This year I've seen people try to similarly push William Jackson and Artie Burns. Meanwhile, both of them tested as duds.

I'm still intrigued by Murray of Minnesota, who I mentioned a couple of months ago. Very nasty disposition for a press cornerback. Real battler. In an ideal world I'd like Nkemdiche or Lee in the first round, followed by a very athletic lineman like Spriggs in the second round, then Murray in the third. I'd also consider Hargrave of South Carolina State if he fell to the third.

Then later on I like Thomas the receiver from Southern Miss, who I mentioned here a few months ago. I have no idea how he wasn't invited to the combine. I suspect that error is fairly obvious and he will be nabbed earlier than expected.

If we fail to take Nkemdiche I'd look at Gotsis of Georgia Tech in a later round.

For later round quarterbacks, I still like Brandon Allen of Arkansas as a high caliber backup. Otherwise, I've never been high on Dak Prescott from a subjective point of view, but when you examine his bottom line of completion percentages, yards per attempt, touchdown/interception ratio and victories in a top conference you have to conclude he might be superior to conventional wisdom. After all, I make hundreds of wagers every year that I fully expect to lose, when they fit my systems. I'd be willing to set aside my long term opinion of Prescott in favor of the numbers. He also has a nice compact delivery.

I really wish I had taken notes during the bowl games. I watched every one of them, other than the Nevada game which I somehow forgot to tape. When I was younger I could remember all the prospects from those games but now there's some slippage. In particular I remember being impressed by defenders from smaller schools in the early bowl games. Now I can't identify them.

Oh yeah, if the Dolphins are interested in upgrading at kicker the UCLA kid Fairbairn could be excellent value. He might be available in the 6th or 7th round. Frankly I don't even remember the name of our kicker. I know that when we changed both kickers last season I posted that the punting switch made a great deal of sense but that the new kicker had lousy mechanics, was certain to miss left quite often, and seemed like change merely for the purpose of change. Fairbairn would be a considerable upgrade. He quietly won the Groza award over Aguayo last season. Fairbairn has fantastic mechanics. I'm always a stickler for mechanics because I've bet on so many field goal results in man to man situations in Las Vegas. You have to be able to identify where the kicker will err at default. We bet right or left of dead center, not on whether the kick is successful.

Fairbairn also has tremendous initial height. That aspect really sets him apart. I'm not sure about leg strength. That's always tougher to evaluate with a guy who kicked in a warm weather climate in college.

You know Miami might go quarterback. I've always assumed one of the reasons Adam Gase picked Miami when he had the choice of a number of teams was Ryan Tannehill. My thought process was that he saw what Tannehill did behind a pretty awful offensive line and started imagining what he could become.

But, maybe that isn't the case. Which leads to another quarterback as well in Paxton Lynch who actually could be there at #13 unlike Wentz. Honestly, I haven't delved into the quarterbacks but what's your thoughts on Lynch? Is he a better prospect than Tannehill?

It opens up an interesting possibility. The Dolphins could trade Tannehill, or wait to see how Lynch plays and then look for a trade.

Don't see that happening, but it does make for an interesting discussion.

You know Miami might go quarterback. I've always assumed one of the reasons Adam Gase picked Miami when he had the choice of a number of teams was Ryan Tannehill. My thought process was that he saw what Tannehill did behind a pretty awful offensive line and started imagining what he could become.

But, maybe that isn't the case. Which leads to another quarterback as well in Paxton Lynch who actually could be there at #13 unlike Wentz. Honestly, I haven't delved into the quarterbacks but what's your thoughts on Lynch? Is he a better prospect than Tannehill?

It opens up an interesting possibility. The Dolphins could trade Tannehill, or wait to see how Lynch plays and then look for a trade.

Don't see that happening, but it does make for an interesting discussion.

Don't see it happening either, but I'm a huge fan of Lynch. Think he will be the better qb. Not suggesting we take him at 13 though; would rather take a corner lb or de (Hargreaves, Jack, Lawson, or Elliot if one falls to us). Bottom line is, if Tannehill sucks again next year we will have a top 5 pick and can take a qb next year

The no brainer move would be to trade the pick to a team that wants Wentz. The problem with this scenario is that a team ahead of the Fins would do that before Wentz ever got to us. As for drafting a player who is still on the board(non Wentz)I really like Mackenzie Alexander but he seems to be dropping in recent mocks I have seen(which might mean NOTHING OR SOMETHING). Lee would make some sense and there would be great value in the two Bama DT's. Ogbah is a player who i see upside with but 13 is a bit too high i think, I would like to see him or Lee, or Jackson III after a trade down more than at 13. Spence is a guy who is similar in some ways to Vernon but he brings baggage as well as system fit questions. Nkemdiche's "play hard when he feels like it" attitude is much more worrisome to me than any off the field stuff. There is not a lot of history of guys who mail it it in college and then become real professionals in the NFL.His talent puts him in the top 10 and the pie in the sky idea of a motivated Nkemdiche playing next to Suh is the only reason to even think about it.I would expect the Fins to pass on him with the stink of Dion Jordan still perfuming the locker room and practice field.

Back
Top Bottom