A Word of Caution... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Word of Caution...

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This one is a message to everyone posting on this forum as well as a caution to the mods herein: This forum, by its very nature, is going to contain a lot of smack.

What I mean by that statement is that this forum differs from every other forum (except, perhaps, the "politics" forum) in that there is no common ground; this forum is a free-for-all of sports talk. Unlike the 'Fins forum where, no matter the opinion, the overwhelming majority of the posters are there as fans of the Miami Dolphins, in this "Other Sports" forum, no such common ground exists.

In this forum when one person posts a thread about a particular basketball team you're going to get responses ranging from those of people who are fans of the particular team in question to people who hate basketball and just want to comment on how much basketball sucks. Ultimately, smack is going to be run, people are going to argue, and that will be the nature of things.

Also, unlike the 'Fins forum, there is nowhere else for the smack to go. There is no "General Smack" forum where people can just rag on each other's teams (it would never last anyway so there would be no point in starting it) outside of the NFL so topics will get somewhat heated in here.

Basically, what I'm saying here, is that some degree smack is going to have to be tolerated in this forum due to the fact that the very nature of this forum will invite disagreements, debates, and, yes, lots and lots of smack. The mods are going to have to decide to what degree they are willing to let things go and the posters (the rest of us) are going to have to understand the nature of this forum and have fun with it for what it is and not take things too personally.

Again, once we leave the 'Fins forum, any topic not NFL related is probably going to be met by a majority of posters who disagree since we all come from such disparate backgrounds and fan bases. Also, once again, my suggestion is to have fun, take things in here for what they are, and let what happens in the "Other Sports" forum stay in the "Other Sports" forum.

you still don't go into a post about the heat and tell the thread starter about how they suck and no one cares. that's like telling someone not to post something because you don't like it.

Originally posted by Peanut
you still don't go into a post about the heat and tell the thread starter about how they suck and no one cares. that's like telling someone not to post something because you don't like it.

As I stated to you previously, I never said that nobody cared- obviously someone cares (although I can't figure out why :lol: )- I simply said, originally, that it didn't belong where it was posted and, to that end, I will say that most people on the main board don't care about the Heat. Most of the people who frequent the main board are not Heat fans or even NBA fans, most people in there are either fans of other NBA franchises or they dislike the NBA altogether so, yes, in that sense, I don't believe very many people cared.

As to saying that the Heat suck, well, as I stated in the post that started this thread, that's the nature of the beast; people are going to think your team sucks and you're going to have to learn to deal with that without losing your grip. My opinion is that the Heat franchise is not going anywhere for a long time while your opinion is likely much different, and the two are obviously going to spark some heated debate because you obviously have an emotional tie to your team as do many other people. You'll have to learn to deal with this otherwise you're going to find yourself getting really upset really often and that's just going to cause you to wear a hole in your stomache and, at the young age of 17, a hole in your stomache is not something you want or need.
:lol:

Very Well Put Expo.

I agree, the rules in here are going to be a lot looser, just by the nature of the forum itself. It would be a difficult task for the staff to try and "regulate" smack in here. I think the first and foremost rule, is, as always... attack the post, not the poster.

The way I see it.... if you're too thin skinned about your team, then perhaps you shouldn't be in here. I personally find it impossible to be passionate about ANY team of ANY sport, other than the Dolphins... so you can tell me that the Red Sox suck, or the Flyers suck, I won't care... but that's what's going to happen in here, As long as everyone remembers the Golden Rule - NO Personal Attacks... then I say, smack away!!

I don't agree, this all sounds like one big disclaimer for someone to say whatever they want w/out repraisal.

This isn't a smack forum. Same rules as the main forum should apply.

If somebody starts a thread about baseball, It's stupid and unnecessary to respond with a "baseball sucks" post.

Just stay out of the thread if you don't like the sport.

Last edited:
Originally posted by inFINSible
I don't agree, this all sounds like one big disclaimer for someone to say whatever they want w/out repraisal.

If somebody starts a thread about baseball, It's stupid and unnecessary to respond with a "baseball sucks" post.

That's true inFINS... and if that is what is termed "smack" then, no, it should not be allowed. However, with the diversity of team loyalties in other sports, heated discussions concerning the teams may ensue. For instance... I'm a Red Sox fan, if you happen to be a Yankees fan, I can see some smack going back and forth between us.... the nature of that rivalry almost demands it. If it's smack about teams, and has more substance than "the Yankees blow", then everyone will have to have a thicker skin. If the only comments are about how this sport sux, or that sport isn't a "real" sport... then it should not be permitted.

Originally posted by inFINSible

The word is "reprisal" and the only reason I got into the thread in the first place was due to the fact that it was in the main forum otherwise I would never have ventured onto a thread regarding baseball because, IMO, it's a waste of time. If it's in the main forum and doesn't belong there it's pretty much fair game. Also, you might notice, I haven't commented on a single other baseball thread in this forum.

If I were to post something about any one of the other teams I like (Avs or Lakers) I would expect others who are fans of rival teams (Sac. Kings, Spurs, Red Wings, LA Kings, etc.) to not respond favorably to me posting something about one of these teams; expecting them to would be a ludicrous and naive assumption on my part.

Infin, I don't really know why but you seem to have decided to single me out as a target. Hopefully you're able to get over yourself and get over whatever it is you have against me. You can PM me if you have a problem (I've tried with you but you haven't responded) otherwise, as I said, get over it.

Originally posted by Expo88

Infin, I don't really know why but you seem to have decided to single me out as a target. Hopefully you're able to get over yourself and get over whatever it is you have against me. You can PM me if you have a problem (I've tried with you but you haven't responded) otherwise, as I said, get over it.

Expo,

If there is an issue between one of the mods and yourself, please, before it escalates into a shouting match, or PM war. Let either AJ or myself know about it. Perhaps it's all a misunderstanding, perhaps it's something where action is needed. Rather than calling him out on the board, try bringing your concerns to an Admin's attention, this could avoid problems.
So... shoot me, or AJ a PM, let us know what's going on.

Thanks,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom