A Year Ago: Randy Mueller's Draft Profile | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Year Ago: Randy Mueller's Draft Profile

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I mined this gem from my own collection of threads, written a year ago...

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=30050

FIRST ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: WR Donte Stallworth (2002 #13), DE Charles Grant (2002 #25), RB Deuce McCallister (2001 #23), DE Lamar King (1999 #22), LB Anthony Simmons (1998 #15), CB Shawn Springs (1997 #3), OT Walter Jones (1997 #6), OG Pete Kendall (1996 #21), WR Joey Galloway (1995 #8)
The Losers: None
Total Picks: 9

SECOND ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: OG LeCharles Bentley (2002), DE Darren Howard (2000), OT Todd Weiner (1998), CB Fred Thomas (1996), TE Christian Fauria (1995).
The Losers: None
Total Picks: 5

THIRD ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: LB Sedrick Hodge (2001), RB Ahman Green (1998)
The Losers: LB James Allen (2002), DT Kenny Smith (2001), QB Brock Huard (1999), WR Karsten Bailey (1999), OT Robert Barr (1996), RB Reggie Brown (1996)
Total Picks: 8

FOURTH ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: FB Terrelle Smith (2000), DE Phillip Daniels (1996).
The Losers: DB Keyuo Craver (2002), RB Moran Norris (2001), DE Antonio Cochran (1999), LB Deshone Myles (1998), LB Eric Unverzagt (1996), LB Jason Kyle (1995).

FIFTH ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: RB Chad Morton (2000)
The Losers: DB Mel Mitchell (2002), WR Onomoe Ojo (2001), OT Tutan Reyes (2000), TE Austin Wheatley (2000), OT Floyd Wedderburn (1999), RB Charlie Rogers (1999), WR Eric Stokes (1997)

SIXTH ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: QB Mark Bulger, WR Bobby Shaw (1998), TE Itula Mili.
The Losers: QB J.T. O'Sullivan (2002), TE John Gilmore (2002), OT Mitch White (2001), DB Michael Hawthorne (2000), WR Sherrod Gideon (2000), DB Steve Johnson (1999), DT Carl Hansen (1998), OG Reggie Green (1996), DB T.J. Cunningham (1996), DT Henry McMillan (1995), WR Eddie Goines (1995)
Total Picks: 14

SEVENTH ROUND

Randy Mueller
The Winners: None
The Losers: DE Derrius Monroe (2002), DT Ennis Davis (2001), TE Kevin Houser (2000), OT Jason McEndoo (1998), DB Carlos Jones (1997), DE Johnny Church (1996), DE Keif Bryant (1995).
Total Picks: 6

And here's a profile...

Randy Mueller: He's like a lesser Ron Wolf in that he doesn't pick a lot of completely dominant guys but he does get contributors. Big difference though is that he hits on his first and second round picks almost always, but he seems to start taking a lot of chances starting with the 3rd round. He seems to like LBers in the 3rd and it hasn't seemed to work out for him. He doesn't really seem to have a lot of success in the late rounds finding gems with the exception of Marc Bulger.

I stand by what I said of Mueller a year ago. As a draft talent evaluator it's near uncanny how he can almost never miss on a first or second round pick. But, by far his weakest area is attempting to find the diamonds in the rough later in the draft. If John Clayton is correct in that he ends up just picking the kinds of players his head coaches want for defense, I am guessing that some of it can be blamed on system. After all, I can't think of many guys drafted by Belichick and Pioli on defense that I would consider true blue chip guys. Richard Seymour definitely, and Asante Samuel I guess would be next...but I mean still, that really is very much a team thing, good defense without individual stars.

I have to disagree, DE Antonio Cochran is not a loser in the fourth round. He is a solid starter to great back up.

good read though

Interesting profile. I just think that while he will be a big part of the evaluation process, Saban always has final say. I also believe that point was made to him before he agreed to this job. All the things Saban has said is that HE is the voice of the Fins and no one else. I just have to believe that Mueller knows that and won't rock the boat in any way. As for finding the diamonds in the rough in the later rounds I hope that Saban knowledge of the players coming out of college in the next few drafts will allow us to be great in that area. All in all I guess we're going to have to wait and see if this works. I truly hope it does, but I think some people are making just a little bit to much out of this as it refers to the decsion making process in the draft and free agency. It will always be Sabans decsion in the end and I just hope Mueller understands that, which I think he would going into this with all that way made Saban needing FULL control before he would accept a NFL head coaching job.

Ok. Maybe this feeds into my theory of drafting. My theory is that head coaches and Assistant Coaches are very involved in the first few rounds. There are a limited number of players from which to choose. They coach all year and then begin their scouting. They only have limited time to watch film and research these players so they research the guys they will pick in the first few rounds.

In the later rounds, teams rely on their scouts a lot more. Afterall, HC and AC don't have the time to watch film on every player that might be available in the 7th round. I'm sure the coaches have input, but they scouts have a bigger voice here then in the first few rounds.

So when we bust in round 1 and 2 and find some "gems" in round 5 and 6, is that because the HC is great at spotting "diamonds in the rough" or is it because the scouting dept. is good and the HC might not be a great evaluator of talent. What does this theory say about RM?

So when we bust in round 1 and 2 and find some "gems" in round 5 and 6, is that because the HC is great at spotting "diamonds in the rough" or is it because the scouting dept. is good and the HC might not be a great evaluator of talent. What does this theory say about RM?

That, or the coach is not teaching later round guys that are rough around the edges enough to get some good players out of them.

ckparrothead said:

And here's a profile...

I stand by what I said of Mueller a year ago. As a draft talent evaluator it's near uncanny how he can almost never miss on a first or second round pick. But, by far his weakest area is attempting to find the diamonds in the rough later in the draft. If John Clayton is correct in that he ends up just picking the kinds of players his head coaches want for defense, I am guessing that some of it can be blamed on system. After all, I can't think of many guys drafted by Belichick and Pioli on defense that I would consider true blue chip guys. Richard Seymour definitely, and Asante Samuel I guess would be next...but I mean still, that really is very much a team thing, good defense without individual stars.

Good read. Like I said, he interfaces well with his coaching staff. he gets them what they want, may not be the guy they always want, but Randy gets them what they want. Thats why he likes total control, so he can pick the BAP, but you have to bend some with that too, and that is what got him in trouble in N.O., he never bent, and Randy ended up being the "fall guy".

Next best G.M. only surpassed by Ozzie. Glad to have him here!

Nice find, CK. I think what we need is a guy thats going to find us more "sure things" in round one. The core of our team over the last five years- Zach, Madison, Surtain, Ogun, JT, Chambers, McMike - was acquired after the first round. If we could match that output with the Walter Jones of the world, then we would be in great shape draftwise.

The Saints may have underachieved, but they certainly have not been lacking in talent the last five years. Theyve been loaded on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, their coaching staff is horrid and they dont know how to get the most out of their players. That shouldnt deter from the fact that Mueller did a nice job of acquiring some tremendous talent in the draft and FA.

As a side note, Mueller did a masterful job with the Ricky Williams trade. He cooly drove up the price over the course of several weeks like a classic negotiator. He did a nice job playing Spielman against Butch Davis (the Browns were also interested in trading for RW), to help drive up the price. His eye for talent, combined for Saban's coaching/teaching, will be a winning formula. Good day to be a Phin fan. :)

One final note - Id like to thank Coach Saban for delaying his GM search until the middle of the offseason - giving desperate Dolfans all over the world something meaningful to talk about in mid June (normally ROCK BOTTOM in terms of football gossip).

:allhail:

ckparrothead said:
That, or the coach is not teaching later round guys that are rough around the edges enough to get some good players out of them.

My theory is difinately not without exception and not all inclusive. And I am not saying that RM is not a good evaluator. Everything I have read is to the contrary. It was just my theory of drafting. I wonder if this was the case with JJ? Food for thought.

ckparrothead said:

And here's a profile...

Very good post. I think Meuller will be helped by Saban's abilities, focus and intensity. Saban is a much more detailed guy than Haslett, Knox or Holmgren - especially with respect to talent evaluation. This will be a good combination.

Donte Stallworth has not lived up to his potential. I would consider him a bust so far, but he could turn it around. This is a make or break year for him.

ckparrothead said:

By comparison, Rick was good at those 3-7th round guys...we will miss that.. Thanks, that answered my earlier question and cements my thoughts on Muller, i too stand by my initial impression, even though I like the idea he thought of drafting A.J. Feeley.

Back
Top Bottom