Aaf Sack Leader Jayrone Elliot Signs With Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vinpaulino44, Apr 9, 2019.

1. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

One note his athletic profile isn't anything like Wakes

jayron-elliott.png

ckparrothead and Digital like this.
  2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

I wonder how this compares to Charles Harris.

His 10 and 20-yard splits are good. The little highlight someone posted of him when he was with Green Bay also looked pretty decent. This seems like the typical guy the Pats would sign and turn into a super star...whether or not that happens in Miami remains to be seen but really the Dolphins have nothing to lose.

My guess is this kid is somewhere between Charles Harris and Cameron Wake. How's that for narrowing it down lol.

3. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Thanks. I definitely get the impression his bull rush has improved significantly through leverage and power, which bodes very well for him using his quickness to better effect when the OT must respect his bull rush.

cullenbigcstill likes this.
  4. Digital

Agreed. But I do like that 10 yard split, because it suggests that his movement from a three point stance to positioning his first move allows him to get a quick advantage before the OT gets his hands on him. No, it's not awesome … but it definitely is something to build upon. If he had elite quickness and speed, he wouldn't have been in the AAF.

nick1 likes this.
  5. EJay

EJay Scout Team

The same could have been said of Cam Wake in Canada. But he did have elite quickness, speed and athleticism yet was still in the CFL.

6. Digital

Well Canada isn't the NFL, but it is a very stable league. When Cam went to Canada, it was the second best destination and the only way to play and be seen by the NFL, as well as the only other real way to make a living and improve as a football player.

The AAF basically took guys who were recently cut from the NFL and willing to take a gamble. I'd say the AAF was a lower caliber overall than the CFL. But when Cam came out, the CFL was the only chance he had.

Cam always had elite athletic ability, but he was a very raw and undersized football player. He used his time in the CFL to bulk up and refine his game, and it showed. There aren't a lot of CFL guys who can make it in the NFL, which is why you rarely see guys make that jump. Cam's athleticism was the difference, as it allowed him to be a man among boys in the CFL. Today, someone would have put Cam on an NFL Practice Squad and developed him solely because of his athleticism. You see lots of guys like that given a shot via the Practice Squad every year. I suspect we'll take a chance on a lot of those types this year in fact. But, it is still rare that those guys pan out, and Cam was definitely the exception to the rule.

Travis34, EJay and 13marino13 like this.
  7. 13marino13

13marino13 I DON'T ROLL ON SHABBOS! Finheaven VIP Donator

Geez, isn't that exactly how we got Cameron Wake?

BigNastyFish and Danny like this.
  8. lbmclean_nocal

lbmclean_nocal Well-Known Member

Defensive linemen are a yard off the ball in the CFL. Which made Wake’s numbers bonkers

Digital likes this.
  9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

The other player Miami got that I suspect has a future is Jaryd Jones-Smith.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jaryd competes with Jesse Davis for the starting RT job and ends up the primary swing backup tackle.

reno likes this.
  10. EJay

EJay Scout Team

I don't disagree. Just making a point. Odd things happen all the time and players are over-looked or, as you said, put in a lot of hard work to improve or fix their flaws. While it's not common to find diamond in the roughs in others league, it's not impossible. Someone with upper-tier athleticism could wind up there through a series of events. That's all I'm saying. But I agree that it's rare.

Digital likes this.
  11. dolpns13

dolpns13 Taste the Burn Finheaven VIP Donator

Ok, so in the highlights, 3 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 1 PD. If he’s so great why is he in the AAF?

12. Digital

Good point. But with film and internet it seems there are less and less real surprises in players. Most of the surprises we see today have to do with new play styles, such as the emergence of the Wildcat formation, which helped lead to the emergence of the mobile QB, which de-emphasized the need for height as a basic requirement … etc.

EJay likes this.
  13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The Green Bay clips are interesting although he’s mostly released clean. Aaf clips don’t do much for me

14. KBEE

KBEE Well-Known Member

Probably better than harris

15. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

We already have Woodard who is better lol. I hope Flores aand his staff make these guys look good like NE always does with no names