ABC Tampa Speculates - Brown Could Be Bucs' Target | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ABC Tampa Speculates - Brown Could Be Bucs' Target

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I'm watching SportsZone right now. And they just had Ronnie Brown and Caddy on (along with Carlos Rodgers). Anyway, they were talking to them and showing Mike Williams' workouts and such.

But they closed with talk about the trade with Miami. Al Keck speculated that it could be smokescreen on Tampa's part. Keck's take: Gruden could be trying to get Miami to pick Alex Smith so they can land Ronnie Brown.

For all the talk about us bluffing people, I'd never thought about Gruden bluffing us. Sure we considered the fact that he might not want to trade up. But I never thought about Gruden's target being Ronnie Brown. Gruden called Smith "a genius" last week. Certainly could be part of a bluff.

I still think WR is a bigger need for Tampa. Beyond Clayton and Galloway, they've got NOTHING. And I mean nothing but free agent camp fodder. It's that bad. Whereas at RB, they've got Michael Pittman and Charlie Garner. But it all comes down to the draft board.

Muck said:
I'm watching SportsZone right now. And they just had Ronnie Brown and Caddy on (along with Carlos Rodgers). Anyway, they were talking to them and showing Mike Williams' workouts and such.

But they closed with talk about the trade with Miami. Al Keck speculated that it could be smokescreen on Tampa's part. Keck's take: Gruden could be trying to get Miami to pick Alex Smith so they can land Ronnie Brown.

For all the talk about us bluffing people, I'd never thought about Gruden bluffing us. Sure we considered the fact that he might not want to trade up. But I never thought about Gruden's target being Ronnie Brown. Gruden called Smith "a genius" last week. Certainly could be part of a bluff.

I still think WR is a bigger need for Tampa. Beyond Clayton and Galloway, they've got NOTHING. And I mean nothing but free agent camp fodder. It's that bad. Whereas at RB, they've got Michael Pittman and Charlie Garner. But it all comes down to the draft board.
Wow, this is getting more crazy be the minute. I really hope Saban comes out looking like a genius from the draft and not idiot that will be questioned for years.

Can't say I didn't tell you so. When the news first broke out that Gruden was supposedly looking at the QBs and falling in love with them, thats all I kept saying...smokescreen, and to me its an indication that Gruden's true target is Ronnie Brown, with Mike Williams being a secondary target.

Gruden's aim is to get Miami to take Alex Smith, or create a lot of demand for Miami's pick in the draft so that someone else will trade up and take Alex Smith. That's my speculation.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=1116376&postcount=9

I outlined it pretty good right there....rather than typing that all again I'd rather link ya. Notice the date :) (sorry, had to toot my own horn on this one).

ckparrothead said:
Can't say I didn't tell you so. When the news first broke out that Gruden was supposedly looking at the QBs and falling in love with them, thats all I kept saying...smokescreen, and to me its an indication that Gruden's true target is Ronnie Brown, with Mike Williams being a secondary target.

Gruden's aim is to get Miami to take Alex Smith, or create a lot of demand for Miami's pick in the draft so that someone else will trade up and take Alex Smith. That's my speculation.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=1116376&postcount=9

I outlined it pretty good right there....rather than typing that all again I'd rather link ya. Notice the date :) (sorry, had to toot my own horn on this one).
If true, I hope Saban has figured this out.

Me too. Actually what I really hope is that, unlike Tampa, Minnesota isn't blowing smoke up peoples arses about trading up to the #1 or #2 spot in the draft.

I had figured out a long time ago that Minnesota traded for Sam Cowart as a means to finalize who they were hoping to get in the draft. This way, they just take Mike Williams or whichever of the 3 RBs is available. Minnesota does want a WR badly, they also want one of the RBs if they cant get a WR. By trading for Sam Cowart (and in my mind, virtually eliminating Derrick Johnson from consideration), they could be assured of Mike Williams or one of the RBs so long as both QBs get taken in the top 6 picks. If both QBs are taken in the top 6, then Minnesota gets either Williams or one of the RBs at #7...simple as that. It is not IMMEDIATELY clear to me why Minnesota talking about trading up to #2 or #1 to get Braylon Edwards would assure them that both QBs get taken in the top 6 picks, however. I would have to think on that more.

But I am wary, for now, in the fact that both Tampa and Minnesota appeared to be in the same boat as far as hoping the QBs get taken in the top 5, to leave players they want falling into their laps. And now, both are supposedly trying to trade up to #2 or so. I'll puzzle that one out some time, but not right now. Maybe the Vikes, like the Bucs, have actually settled on Ronnie Brown, not Braylon Edwards...

Muck said:

Actually, this idea occured to me as well regarding Gruden. I actually think he may want an RB or WR. They need upgrades at both. It really doesnt make much sense for them to draft a QB, as Griese played well for them. However, they still may feel the need to trade up if they want Edwards or Williams or the back of their choice.

If the Vikings trade up with SF

And they select one of the Wr's, then I think Saban's choice is made for him.

They stand pat, and grab Rogers, letting the Bucs get whomever they like. This is such a rich draft when it comes to Rb. I'd say there are 6 or 7 pure Rb's with nearly the same talent level. Benson, Brown, Caddy, Barber, Arrington, Morency, all very good runners. One of them should be there in the third, that is if Miami can't somehow land a second rounder.

I have nothing to add except that CK beat ABC Tampa to this theory by about a week, so nice work!

(I still don't believe it, mind you, but mad props to CK nonetheless.)

I'm Right There With You On This ..........

signed totally confused

I have nothing to add except that CK beat ABC Tampa to this theory by about a week, so nice work!

(I still don't believe it, mind you, but mad props to CK nonetheless.)

Thank you, phunwin. I remember it was you I argued with about it too. We'll just have to see. Thing is there's so many factors, so much intrigue, that even after the draft, nobody will know unless they get to be a fly on the wall during the discussions.

For instance, Boomer has been saying for a long time that San Fran's guy is Alex Smith, has always been Alex Smith, and will always be Alex Smith. His sources say that Scott McGloughan is enamoured with Smith. But, in the end, the guy they take may end up Rodgers. So was Boomer wrong in that scenario? No. Because McGloughan's guy indeed may have been Alex Smith, but the impression I had been getting (which actually got voiced on a rumor site not too long ago), was that McGloughan liked Smith, but Nolan likes Rodgers. In their first year together, McGloughan is not going to start off by overruling his head coach, and giving him the player he doesn't want. I think McGloughan has been trying to set things up to convince Nolan about Smith, giving Smith special workouts etc, and whether that has been successful or not remains to be seen. In the end if San Fran goes with Rodgers, everyone will probably say Boomer's sources were wrong. I do not believe so, I just thing its all complicated.

Very hard to say who a team's "guy" is, when the chances are, that team doesn't even quite know yet.

ckparrothead said:
For instance, Boomer has been saying for a long time that San Fran's guy is Alex Smith, has always been Alex Smith, and will always be Alex Smith. His sources say that Scott McGloughan is enamoured with Smith. But, in the end, the guy they take may end up Rodgers. So was Boomer wrong in that scenario? No. Because McGloughan's guy indeed may have been Alex Smith, but the impression I had been getting (which actually got voiced on a rumor site not too long ago), was that McGloughan liked Smith, but Nolan likes Rodgers. In their first year together, McGloughan is not going to start off by overruling his head coach, and giving him the player he doesn't want. I think McGloughan has been trying to set things up to convince Nolan about Smith, giving Smith special workouts etc, and whether that has been successful or not remains to be seen. In the end if San Fran goes with Rodgers, everyone will probably say Boomer's sources were wrong. I do not believe so, I just thing its all complicated.

Very hard to say who a team's "guy" is, when the chances are, that team doesn't even quite know yet.

This is very sound thinking and analysis. But like Nick Saban, Mike Nolan received final say authority when he signed on. So McGloughan won't have the opportunity to overrule. However that doesn't necessarily render your assertion inaccurate. If anything, it reinforces it. McGloughan would have to work that much harder to convince his coach that Smith is the right choice.

Oh I assumed that because McGloughan had the official title of GM that he had final say. Or, maybe he doesn't have the official title?

McGloughan is Vice President of Player Personnel. I wasn't sure of his title either.

I see. Then I guess the waffling must be Nolan leaning toward Rodgers, McGloughan leaning toward Smith, and the both of them using those facts to lean on the other QB to lower their price.

Also keep in mind the rumor on PFT that the terms of the new CBA will have heavy restrictions on first round rookies salaries and signing bonuses (bout dang time), so agents may try and get their rookies signed sooner so that they dont get hatcheted by the new CBA.

Back
Top Bottom