About Ginn in the 1st round... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

About Ginn in the 1st round...

So because he's fast, he sucks?

You miss the point of his post. The fact that he runs a fast 40 does not guarantee NFL success as others have implied. He is undersized and an unpolished WR.
His biggest plays come in special teams. That's all well and good, but certainly not worth a top 10 pick.
He reminds me of Rocket Ismael. Nice player, but not an elite one at his position.

Cam and Mueller have mentioned that this offense needs more speed. I think there is a chance that they go after him. He's probably the fastest guy in the draft. I understand that just because he's fast doesn't mean anything, but Ohio State has had some nice WR's come out. Glenn and Galloway both were drafted top 10 and turned out fine. Also, Santonio Holmes was the slot last year in Pitt and got more yards than any WR on our team (a little over 800 yards.)

So because he's fast, he sucks?

Do you realize how many God-awful posts are made in the Draft Forum everyday? I'm sure you do... Every day I see posts like the following:

"Brady Quinn is a bust I guarantee!"
"Draft Ginn or I'm no longer a Dolphins fan"
"Don't draft Trent Edwards, he's a Tedford QB OMG!" (he's not)

This guy actually takes facts and makes an coherent argument. He mentions numerous other factors besides 40 times. Leave your feelings about a particular player out of it (it seems you may be really high on Ginn).

It was like the guy the other day who compared Russell and Quinn's stats vs top 25 opponents. I'm not that high on Quinn personally, but I can appreciate someone who takes the time to make a competent, well-thought out post. It seems you can't.

Very Good post!

I still wouldn't mind us drafting Ginn or another WR, hopefully Ginn will be one of the burners who turn out to be an excellent wide receiver.

I do feel that the Dolphins lack playmakers. If we don't take a WR at #9 then we should select a playmaker at another position and take a WR in the second round. I consider playmakers to be RBs, WRs, CBs, Safeties, QBs, LBs, and DEs. If we select the best playmaker at #9 then I'll also be happy.

I still feel that we need to select a WR with either our 1st or 2nd round pick. With Booker's uncertain status, Chambers nonemergence, Hagan's current penchant for dropping passes, along with the fact that Welker may never get any better than what he is now (I love his competetiveness though) we need an immediate or near immediate influx of talent at the WR position.

The best scenario for us, if we can find a suitor is to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd round pick and then pick a WR with either our 1st round pick or our earlier 2nd round pick. The only OT I would consider drafting before the 3rd round is Thomas and Levi Brown.

I'm not sold on Quinn, maybe because he's from Notre Dame and I've been a USC fan since 1970, or maybe because he didn't do crap in two of the biggest games of his senior year. If he pass the COMBINE scrutinizations then I'll gladly accept him as our #9 pick, otherwise Brown, Landry, Nelson, Bowe, Ginn, Jarrett, or the top rated DE or LB with the #9. I don't see a CB worthy of being picked at #9.

I got the opportunity to watch highlights of Bowe and his route running and toughness is at or close to PRO-LEVEL.

Do you realize how many God-awful posts are made in the Draft Forum everyday? I'm sure you do... Every day I see posts like the following:

"Brady Quinn is a bust I guarantee!"
"Draft Ginn or I'm no longer a Dolphins fan"
"Don't draft Trent Edwards, he's a Tedford QB OMG!" (he's not)

This guy actually takes facts and makes an coherent argument. He mentions numerous other factors besides 40 times. Leave your feelings about a particular player out of it (it seems you may be really high on Ginn).

It was like the guy the other day who compared Russell and Quinn's stats vs top 25 opponents. I'm not that high on Quinn personally, but I can appreciate someone who takes the time to make a competent, well-thought out post. It seems you can't.

Excellent point.

The no guarntee arguement is insulting to anyone with a brain. You can say that about any player in the draft. I like the posts about not getting any fast players on our team. I guess we are going to have avoid those speedsters like the plague.

TMNY99,

you need to change the paragraph at the bottom or your sig. he may be the least paid HC, but barry switzer for one made the playoffs his first three seasons, winning the SB in his second season (95'). sorry to call you on it but if you put EVER then you should be right about your info

Yeah, there have been a number of head coaches that made the playoffs 2 out of their first 3 years. Off the top of my head, in addition to Switzer, there's George Seifert, Don Shula, Marty Schottenheimer, Chan Gailey, John Madden, Bill Parcells, Mike Sherman, Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, etc.

You miss the point of his post. The fact that he runs a fast 40 does not guarantee NFL success as others have implied. He is undersized and an unpolished WR.
His biggest plays come in special teams. That's all well and good, but certainly not worth a top 10 pick.
He reminds me of Rocket Ismael. Nice player, but not an elite one at his position.
Exactly. Or Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard for that matter...

Very Good post!

I still wouldn't mind us drafting Ginn or another WR, hopefully Ginn will be one of the burners who turn out to be an excellent wide receiver.

I do feel that the Dolphins lack playmakers. If we don't take a WR at #9 then we should select a playmaker at another position and take a WR in the second round. I consider playmakers to be RBs, WRs, CBs, Safeties, QBs, LBs, and DEs. If we select the best playmaker at #9 then I'll also be happy.

I still feel that we need to select a WR with either our 1st or 2nd round pick. With Booker's uncertain status, Chambers nonemergence, Hagan's current penchant for dropping passes, along with the fact that Welker may never get any better than what he is now (I love his competetiveness though) we need an immediate or near immediate influx of talent at the WR position.

The best scenario for us, if we can find a suitor is to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd round pick and then pick a WR with either our 1st round pick or our earlier 2nd round pick. The only OT I would consider drafting before the 3rd round is Thomas and Levi Brown.

I'm not sold on Quinn, maybe because he's from Notre Dame and I've been a USC fan since 1970, or maybe because he didn't do crap in two of the biggest games of his senior year. If he pass the COMBINE scrutinizations then I'll gladly accept him as our #9 pick, otherwise Brown, Landry, Nelson, Bowe, Ginn, Jarrett, or the top rated DE or LB with the #9. I don't see a CB worthy of being picked at #9.

I got the opportunity to watch highlights of Bowe and his route running and toughness is at or close to PRO-LEVEL.
YES! That is the type of scenario I'm actually hoping for. I really think we should trade down if one of the top guys drops to us.
I wouldn't mind Quinn, because you can consider he was the consensus #1 overall pick before the season began... now, he seems to be dropping a bit. Hmmmm, sounds like a guy who played QB at Pitt, with the initials DM. No, I'm not comparing the 2... but he could be the pre-2006 NCAA football player people foresaw, and not the post-2006 season people are down on.

The comparison you used is what I was going on. As I said, 40 times is not the only thing teams rely on, atleast the ones that do their homework, when evaluating a player.
I remember Warrick's time during his pro day because it was big news around here. He ran a 4.55 and 4.56 that day and a lot of people were shocked that Cincinnati took him so high. He may have played faster in college but in the pros he couldn't get it done. Injuries also played a factor in his less than stellar career.
Troy Williamson did receive a 1st round grade because of his speed and Minnesota was desperate to replace Moss so they ignored his limited experience as a receiver and drafted him in the top 10.
Ted Ginn, Jr is also limited experience wise as a WR but that is where most of the comparisons with Williamson ends. Ginn has/had a 1st round grade before the season was much improved this year in his overall play at WR than last.
As I have said before, I'm not advocating the drafting of Ginn but wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm just questioning yours and anyone else's logic suggesting that he'll be no more than a kick returner based on his speed alone. Besides, the majority of rookie WRs struggle the 1st year or two.
You are 100% right. Earlier I was on an internet scavenger hunt for info and research, and just now went back to double-check.... well, the article that referenced a personal work-out time in the 4.3's was actually Laveranues Coles and not Warrick as I'd posted, who ran a best of 4.48 on the same surface as Coles. Thank you for pointing that out, as I clearly made a mistake. Thus, you are correct in saying the comparison of Warrick to Ginn is not a very good one. The others I still stand by, but that one was wrong. Nice work!

Your entire post is based on NFL WR's 40 times. Your argument for not taking Ginn is because of his 40 time. So before you go shaking your head, know what you're talking about.

he does know what he is talking about. do you notice anyone on these boards saying draft ginn because of his route running ability? (hint for you NO) Do you see anyone on these boards saying draft ginn because of his hands or ability to adjust to the ball? (hint NO) Do you see anyone saying draft ginn because of his physical play? (UM NO). Ginn is speed, thats it at the moment. do your homework before you call someone out.

Why do you compare Ginn to Sinorice Moss? Why not compare him to some of the other smaller fast receivers like Santana Moss or Steve Smith? Or he might excel in the return game ala D. Hall who knows? There are only a few guys that I like at our position and Ginn is one of them because he's a receiver who stretches the field and has an impact in the return game.
How about Rae Carruth? Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom