Absolutely Great Info In This Weeks Mmqb | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Absolutely Great Info In This Weeks Mmqb

They didn't start Curtis Painter all year. Kerry Collins was named starter in pre-season when Manning was put on IR, then Painter from week 4 when Collins went on IR, then Painter was benched for the last 5 games for Orlovsky. Painter only started eight games, and was pulled in three of those.

Either way the point still remains the same, they started the season with a 39 year old QB who was 2-11 in his last 13 starts then went to Painter and Orlovsky who was a starter at one point during the Lions 0-16 season. I think it was blatantly obvious that the Colts were trying to be noncompetitive so that they could secure Luck.

Either way the point still remains the same, they started the season with a 39 year old QB who was 2-11 in his last 13 starts then went to Painter and Orlovsky who was a starter at one point during the Lions 0-16 season. I think it was blatantly obvious that the Colts were trying to be noncompetitive so that they could secure Luck.
Quite possibly yes. I don't recall who the other options were when they signed Collins and Orlovsky and whether they could have done much better, but yes that is a pretty shitty collection of QBs.

Grier is showing us that Tannenbaum was the one holding him back. Grier understands that the way to build a consistent winning team is by stockpiling draft picks while Tannenbum would burn them all for "name" players. It looks like we are on the right track and Grier is on a mission to finally land the QB who will change everything in Miami.

The ONLY way the Rosen trade really works is if he is a franchise QB and becomes elite. Really, the next best hope is that if he fails, the FO notices in time to still have a shot at Lawrence.
only thing risked is draft capital, his salary is $2 million per year. If he isn't "the guy" they have plenty of ammo to use for the QB next year and beyond

When Lawrence comes out, I think you'll see some teams blatantly tank like the Colts did the year they started Curtis Painter all year to get Luck. If we are starting Rosen, I don't think we have a legit chance to get Lawrence.

This draft put us in a position to have all the options we deem necessary to get us back to the mountain top where we belong.

We can approach the season as if we have a veteran bridge QB, essentially a top rookie prospect and the makings of a future draft arsenal.

In a perfect world Josh Rosen steals the show in the preseason and there is no decision to be made. More realistically Fitzpatrick should earn some of the cash he's getting paid while being able to enjoy the last games of his incredibly over-accomplished career.

I hope we start 5-0 with Fitz. I really hope we go 16-0 with Rosen.

Chances are we a staring at 1-7, maybe even 0-5 kind of record before we start to think about the future during the season.

The Dolphins took as much control of their future as they could this past weekend. The rest has to be figured out on the field.

Not only did they make 2019 relevant, they made it a significant part of the process. I know quite a few fans were already planning to watch more Bama games than Dolphins games this year but that will have to change.

Last edited:
only thing risked is draft capital, his salary is $2 million per year. If he isn't "the guy" they have plenty of ammo to use for the QB next year and beyond
He could still fetch a pick with his age and salary

He could be used to trade up or down in 2020 but I would like to see what he has in him before we jettison him

This is the reality, in a nutshell.

Those whining about this move are, for the most part, ppl that believe Grier, and co, are incompetent, and incapable of making good decisions.

If that is thier starting assumption, nothing will make them happy, short of a new owner, and GM.
The apprehension I had about Rosen coming here had everything to do with the negative reports about his work ethic in Arizona and the whole “chip on his shoulder” about where he was drafted last year. In light of what’s now been reported about him and the general consensus about the move being very positive, it seems I’m glad to be wrong. Of course, only time will tell, but it does appear right now that I was wrong.

The apprehension I had about Rosen coming here had everything to do with the negative reports about his work ethic in Arizona and the whole “chip on his shoulder” about where he was drafted last year. In light of what’s now been reported about him and the general consensus about the move being very positive, it seems I’m glad to be wrong. Of course, only time will tell, but it does appear right now that I was wrong.
To be honest, originally, I wasn't in favor of giving up a ton to get him either.

As it played out, however, I think it was a great FO move. We didn't give up much, in the grand scheme of things. We are paying Rosen peanuts for 3 years, and I think there's at least a 50/50 chance he can be a "franchise" QB. If not, he a cheap, albeit unhappy, backup.

Or they went with a 39 year old QB who the year before had 14 TDs with 8 ints and a 82.2 qb rating which are not terrible numbers for a backup QB.

Or they went with a 39 year old QB who the year before had 14 TDs with 8 ints and a 82.2 qb rating which are not terrible numbers for a backup QB.

So you think the Colts were attempting to be competitive by signing Collins?

So you think the Colts were attempting to be competitive by signing Collins?

Who else was there to sign? I can't imagine there's a lot of quality backups or starters just waiting to be signed. When Brady got injured did the Pats sign a free agent or trade for a QB? Nope they rolled with Cassell a guy who was a 7th round pick and was a backup in college. So literally a guy with hadn't played an actual full game of football in years.

The Colts signed a vet who had a decent year for a backup and a guy they had intimate knowledge on since they played him twice a year for 5 years. Than they signed Orlovsky because Cladwell worked with him back when he was with the Lions (kinda how Gase signed Cutler due to a prior relationship with the Bears) than they had Painter who was already on the team in 2011 and knew the playbook and was their backup in 2011. Is it common for teams to have a backup and than cut said backup to get a better backup after their starter got injured?

Caldwell got fired after the Colts the 2-14 season I'm sure he didn't willingly sacrifice his career as a HC for the possibility of drafting Luck, a QB he wasn't even around to coach.

Who else was there to sign? I can't imagine there's a lot of quality backups or starters just waiting to be signed. When Brady got injured did the Pats sign a free agent or trade for a QB? Nope they rolled with Cassell a guy who was a 7th round pick and was a backup in college. So literally a guy with hadn't played an actual full game of football in years.

The Colts signed a vet who had a decent year for a backup and a guy they had intimate knowledge on since they played him twice a year for 5 years. Than they signed Orlovsky because Cladwell worked with him back when he was with the Lions (kinda how Gase signed Cutler due to a prior relationship with the Bears) than they had Painter who was already on the team in 2011 and knew the playbook and was their backup in 2011. Is it common for teams to have a backup and than cut said backup to get a better backup after their starter got injured?

Caldwell got fired after the Colts the 2-14 season I'm sure he didn't willingly sacrifice his career as a HC for the possibility of drafting Luck, a QB he wasn't even around to coach.

I don't know who was out there to sign, but if you're signing QBs out of retirement it probably isn't with the expectation to win games.

If I'm not mistaken, Manning underwent neck surgery right after he signed a pretty sizeable contract with them. The surgery he underwent, made no guarantee he would ever play again so the Colts seized an opportunity to get "The best QB to enter the draft since Manning" by playing terrible QBs and not trying to win, effectively making it a 1 year rebuild.

Regardless of what the Colts did or didn't do, my point still remains the same, that I think a team will do something similar for a chance to get Lawrence in 21.

Back
Top Bottom