Absurd thought: A way for Miami to land Eli | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Absurd thought: A way for Miami to land Eli

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
Hear me out on this. I try to stay within the realm of possibility on most of my posts and this subject probably doesn't put me there or does it?

- SD has the top pick where Eli is expected to be picked (whether SD has it April 23rd or not).
- SD already has a young QB whom they used a high pick on (2nd rounder) just three years ago. The same draft where they traded away the chance to select Vick.
- SD still has the bad taste in their mouth from drafting (and paying) Ryan Leaf at the #2 pick overall.
- SD has a ton of holes to fill on defense, OL and WR.
- SD coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't know what to do with a franchise QB and would prefer a care-taker type to run his low risk-just don't turn the ball over offense.

Make no mistake, SD will be taking offers........ Enter Miami.

- Miami has a budding star in DE, and probowl bound, Adewale Ogunleye.
- Miami will tender this restricted free agent at 1st and 3rd round compensation therefore ensuring compensation WHEN (not if) he is signed by another team. This makes him no worse than two high draft picks in this draft.

If Miami is serious about getting a can't miss franchise QB who'll be here for the next 12-14 years then this is what they should offer SD:

- their 1st rounder this year (20th overall),
- newly tendered Ogun
- conditional 05' pick
- and what the hell we'll throw in Greenwood or Moore to give SD a young body to play at LB.

Miami gets Manning.

SD gets picks in 04' and 05' and a DE to pair up with Wiley who could end up being the next Michael Strahan (apoligies to JT, he just reminds me more of Strahan and plays RDE too). This deal is likely conditional on Ogun agreeing to a deal in principle so that SD doesn't have to worry about losing him to another team should they sign him to an outrageous offer sheet (and getting 1st and 3rd rounds picks from that team). Admittedly I don't know SD's cap situation so matching such an offer may be prohibitive for them to do so but I'm playing devil's advocate here.

All right, let the critism begin. Is this a possibility (however remote it may be)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Eli Manning really supposed to be the #1 pick in the draft?

No offense but I think you may be jumping the gun. Until the combine and everything we don't know who the concensus #1 guy will be.

If we tender Ogun at a 1st and 3rd it could be a mistake. This could scare teams away from him. I don't think teams are going to want to pay a 1st and 3rd for him since he's been playing opposite Jason Taylor. They remember Trace Armstrong acquiring 16.5 sacks opposite Taylor in Miami's system playing only part time. I like Ogun, think he's perfect for us, but teams may think he's just that...perfect for US. If we tender him at just the first round price tag, I think some team will jump on board.

Then we can try and use our two first round picks to jump up high enough to grab Eli Manning...if his stock falls to about the 3rd pick.

BTW quarterback has to be as much a consideration for the Chargers as it ever was. Brees was only a 2nd round pick, its not like they've got the #2 pick in the draft invested in him. The Chargers let the Ryan Leaf fiasco deter them from getting Mike Vick...so they should really, really, REALLY know better than to let that happen again.

Combine doesn't mean anything. It's all individual show, not what you can do with receivers or an OLINE or a blitzing defense. The combine is overrated and always has been. I actually think they should get rid of it. It's become a major marketing tool for Agents and the NFL.

Originally posted by Canuck
Hear me out on this. I try to stay within the realm of possibility on most of my posts and this subject probably doesn't put me there or does it?

- SD has the top pick where Eli is expected to be picked (whether SD has it April 23rd or not).
- SD already has a young QB whom they used a high pick on (2nd rounder) just three years ago. The same draft where they traded away the chance to select Vick.
- SD still has the bad taste in their mouth from drafting (and paying) Ryan Leaf at the #2 pick overall.
- SD has a ton of holes to fill on defense, OL and WR.
- SD coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't know what to do with a franchise QB and would prefer a care-taker type to run his low risk-just don't turn the ball over offense.

Make no mistake, SD will be taking offers........ Enter Miami.

- Miami has a budding star in DE, and probowl bound, Adewale Ogunleye.
- Miami will tender this restricted free agent at 1st and 3rd round compensation therefore ensuring compensation WHEN (not if) he is signed by another team. This makes him no worse than two high draft picks in this draft.

If Miami is serious about getting a can't miss franchise QB who'll be here for the next 12-14 years then this is what they should offer SD:

- their 1st rounder this year (20th overall),
- newly tendered Ogun
- conditional 05' pick
- and what the hell we'll throw in Greenwood or Moore to give SD a young body to play at LB.

Miami gets Manning.

SD gets picks in 04' and 05' and a DE to pair up with Wiley who could end up being the next Michael Strahan (apoligies to JT, he just reminds me more of Strahan and plays RDE too). This deal is likely conditional on Ogun agreeing to a deal in principle so that SD doesn't have to worry about losing him to another team should they sign him to an outrageous offer sheet (and getting 1st and 3rd rounds picks from that team). Admittedly I don't know SD's cap situation so matching such an offer may be prohibitive for them to do so but I'm playing devil's advocate here.

All right, let the critism begin. Is this a possibility (however remote it may be)?

I'm sold. pull the trigger on this, I'll get wanny on the phone now :D

No, but really this is a good idea. The other option I can think of is taking our 2 firsts from O-gun and throwing in our 2nd rounder next year. If that conditional picked turned out to be THREE first rounders...that's hard to swallow. 2 firsts and a second I'm ok with though.

ELI IS HYPED BY THE MEDIA. HE'S NOT THAT GOOD.

i love this... everyone on the eli bandwagon, has no clue about QB. he's not that good. he hasn't beaten anyone that good, or played well against good teams.

can you say overrated?

If we tender Ogun at a 1st and 3rd it could be a mistake. This could scare teams away from him. I don't think teams are going to want to pay a 1st and 3rd for him since he's been playing opposite Jason Taylor.
Can any one else see Dan Snyder going after him to replace one reitred Bruce Smith??? Where's Washington draft at?

Originally posted by burghPhinFan

Can any one else see Dan Snyder going after him to replace one reitred Bruce Smith??? Where's Washington draft at?

They were my fistr thought b/c of smith both financially and talent wise.

if the Dolphins need to sweeten that deal with SD that was described initially in this thread, they could could always give the Chargers Jamar Fletcher as well (who was drafted ahead of Drew Brees by Miami that year). i know, i know, any mention of that guy might cause San Diego to refuse to even do business with us!

Manning is skipping the Senior Bowl, following the advice of his Dad (Archie). Who thinks it would be a risk playing that game in case of injury, which would hurt his draft status.

Good points, all of them.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Is Eli Manning really supposed to be the #1 pick in the draft?

No offense but I think you may be jumping the gun. Until the combine and everything we don't know who the concensus #1 guy will be.

If we tender Ogun at a 1st and 3rd it could be a mistake. This could scare teams away from him. I don't think teams are going to want to pay a 1st and 3rd for him since he's been playing opposite Jason Taylor. They remember Trace Armstrong acquiring 16.5 sacks opposite Taylor in Miami's system playing only part time. I like Ogun, think he's perfect for us, but teams may think he's just that...perfect for US. If we tender him at just the first round price tag, I think some team will jump on board.

Then we can try and use our two first round picks to jump up high enough to grab Eli Manning...if his stock falls to about the 3rd pick.

BTW quarterback has to be as much a consideration for the Chargers as it ever was. Brees was only a 2nd round pick, its not like they've got the #2 pick in the draft invested in him. The Chargers let the Ryan Leaf fiasco deter them from getting Mike Vick...so they should really, really, REALLY know better than to let that happen again.

I don't pretend to know exactly what'll happen, nor can anyone make that claim. I'm just throwing out what I think is a good match. Perfect match? No, but a good one. Eli's been compared favourably to his older brother in every way possible. From what I've heard he's slightly more physically gifted and slightly less a student of the game. I have not watched a single full game from the kid, I'm simply deducing what I know. Peyton is awesome and Archie was pretty good. Eli will probably be somewhere close to that. SD taking Eli is not a dumb move for them but will Shottenheimer be willing to go along with it? I don't think he will as he'll want improvements in several spots, not just at QB and this possible deal helps his team in some of those areas. BTW, Ogun aint no 35+ year old situational pass rusher like Trace was. He's a former big ten Phenom who wrecked his knee at Indiana and watched his draft stock plummet. JJ saw potential and took a flyer on him....it clearly has paid off. Your argument is not with out it's points however. Playing opposite JT will give you some desirable match ups. So will playing opposite Marcellus Wiley.

We'll see how it all unfolds in the coming months but I'd be damned surprised to see anyone other than the Ole Miss star selected 1st overall and that's SD pick right now....

here's Kiper's description:

1. Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss (6-4, 210) | previous ranking: same

Manning has an outstanding arm and possesses tremendous pocket awareness. He has stepped up his intensity in the huddle as well as his leadership on and off the field. He's accurate, poised and intelligent. Manning began the season at No. 4 on my Big Board. His situation this year is comparable to Carson Palmer's last year. Palmer rose up the draft board and wound up becoming the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft (to the Cincinnati Bengals). If Manning had declared for the draft last year, he could have been a late first-rounder.

maybe targeting Oaklands #2 spot (Cripes! weren't they just in the SB?) might be the way to go. If the same deal or the same 'proposed' #1's were packaged together to them, they could instantly upgrade the WR corp. (Rice and Brown are done)The Phins could then take MAnning if some how SD doesn't, or Ben Roethlisberger if they do. The same might even apply to Arizona's #3, because (once again) they need just about everything.

Mel on BR: (rated #3 overall on his top 25)
Great size (6-5, 245) plus all the intangibles

Back
Top Bottom