According to Sports Business Daily, the Dolphins aren't captivating the local market | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

According to Sports Business Daily, the Dolphins aren't captivating the local market

dreday

future of the funk
Reaction score
link

The Saints top all NFL clubs (and all U.S. sports teams) in terms of local market fan penetration, according to data from Scarborough Sports Marketing. New Orleans had the highest percentage (87%) of any home market where adult fans said they had watched a game on TV, listened to a game on the radio or attended at least one game during the past year. Among NFL clubs, the Bengals saw the biggest year-over-year jump in the rankings, up five spots to No. 6. Most NFL clubs remained close to where they were last year in the rankings

28 28 Dolphins 43%
29 29 49ers 42%
30 30 Giants 40%
31 31 Jets 37%
32 32 Raiders 28%

Because there's so much to do in S. Florida plus the population has, most likely, a larger % of people moving from other parts of the nation and these transfers bring their sports alliances with them ... IMO

Lol so no one in New York watches football?

Because there's so much to do in S. Florida plus the population has, most likely, a larger % of people moving from other parts of the nation and these transfers bring their sports alliances with them ... IMO

not to disagree,but theres plenty of things to do in new orleans...and plenty of out of towners.to top it off the population isnt even what it used to be...

That's because the Saints are winning and exciting to watch, unlike the Dolphins. Next I suppose you'll tell me that the sky is blue.

dolphins have a loftier history?bigger fanbase?havent squashed the numbers,strictly assumption...

Lol so no one in New York watches football?

The NY/NJ area is both Giants and Jets fans so im not surprised their numbers are as low as they are....If there was only one NY team the numbers for that NY team would be really high.

Having lived in both NY and Miami, I don't care what the statistics are, the 2 fanbases are absolutely nothing alike. Giants and Jets fans are hardcore, and they ride and die by their teams. I've been to the games in the old meadowlands; The stadium is always filled, and the fans cheer like crazy for their team. The level of intensity is not the same in Miami. I went to high school and college in Miami, and of all my friends who were born and raised in Miami, only a handful were true hardcore Dolphins fans. In comparison, I personally don't know of a single NYer who was born and bred here, who is not a fan of one of the home teams. I'm not saying they don't exist, I just personally don't know any.

In short, there are too many fairweather fans in Miami IMO, and too many just don't take an active interest in the Dolphins. When there are more cheers for visiting teams than the home team, that's a problem. As upsetting as it was to watch, I can't say I'm surprised that the fins went 1-7 at home. IMO, there's just not enough fanaticism from the fandom, in comparison to what I've seen in other home stadiums (i.e. New York).

I find it hard to believe that only 43% of the people in South Florida tuned into a game last year (be it TV, radio or in person like this site says they included) . . . where are they pulling these stats from? Sure there is alot to do . . . but I know tons of people who don't give a damn about football and have tuned in to watch atleast one game, especially those primetime games against the Jets and Pats. Sounds like BS to me.

I do agree it wouldn't surprise me to see Miami low on a list like this . . . they haven't been successful much in the past 10 years and with influx of people from other parts of the countries and other parts of the world, plus the fans not in the area, combined with amount of things to do on the weekend in South FL . . . and the "Heat" hype factor last season . . . I could see them low on a list . . . but 43% sounds off.

That's because the Saints are winning and exciting to watch, unlike the Dolphins. Next I suppose you'll tell me that the sky is blue.

Well the Saints were a joke for a long time and just now turned their franchise around.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

This is very sad. I love my team regardless.

Well the Saints were a joke for a long time and just now turned their franchise around.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

This is very sad. I love my team regardless.
But it does explain why they're able to fill stands. They may be fair weather fans, but when your team has won a Super Bowl in the last five years and has winning seasons during the others, attendance tends to go up.

But it does explain why they're able to fill stands. They may be fair weather fans, but when your team has won a Super Bowl in the last five years and has winning seasons during the others, attendance tends to go up.

Very true. That explains why Miami has a pretty bad crowd. The Dolphins have sucked since like 2004 and the Heat are favorites to win the Finals every year plus all the stuff there is to do in Miami

Very true. That explains why Miami has a pretty bad crowd. The Dolphins have sucked since like 2004 and the Heat are favorites to win the Finals every year plus all the stuff there is to do in Miami
To be honest, I would argue that the Dolphins have a very dedicated fan base. It just seems like a lot of them live in other parts of the country while there are a bunch transplants in south Florida.

To be honest, I would argue that the Dolphins have a very dedicated fan base. It just seems like a lot of them live in other parts of the country while there are a bunch transplants in south Florida.

I agree. I was born and raised in West Palm Beach, there's Dolphin fans and stuff every where!

Back
Top Bottom