Adam Beasley: Flores Gaining Momentum | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Beasley: Flores Gaining Momentum

Well the Dolphins have had the 1st and second pick in the last 15 years so tanking doesn’t seem to work.
Not when you pick the wrong guys with those picks. We could have drafted Rodgers but took Ronnie Brown. Then we could have drafted Matt Ryan but took a LT instead. It works if you pick the right guy when the right guy is sitting there for you.

Any hints? Did he blast Carroll for not being aggressive?

Chris Grier's and Brian Flores's roots in New England are speculated to be a factor in Beasley's report that Flores is Grier's ringer.

But Grier never actually worked for NE when Bill Belichick was the head coach. Belichick was in New England as defensive coordinator for one year while Chris Grier was still scouting for them, that being 1996. Grier left for Miami the year Belichick was hired, 2000. Flores didn't get there until 2004.

On the other hand, Chris Grier WAS in New England when Pete Carroll was their head coach for three years. Grier commonly cites Carroll as one of the guys he's learned directly from and respects.

Considering that, let's just say that based on our fact-finding mission about the split between Carroll and Richard...it's not a coincidence that Kris Richard immediately went on Miami's short list, and that Richard himself is expecting to interview again whenever he's allowed.

Not when you pick the wrong guys with those picks. We could have drafted Rodgers but took Ronnie Brown. Then we could have drafted Matt Ryan but took a LT instead. It works if you pick the right guy when the right guy is sitting there for you.
Miami always have a top 5 pick when the draft is crap. And then Miami trades up in a draft with weak top prospects (Dion jordan) and trade down in a draft with little depth (2010)

Chris Grier's and Brian Flores's roots in New England are speculated to be a factor in Beasley's report that Flores is Grier's ringer.

But Grier never actually worked for NE when Bill Belichick was the head coach. Belichick was in New England as defensive coordinator for one year while Chris Grier was still scouting for them, that being 1996. Grier left for Miami the year Belichick was hired, 2000. Flores didn't get there until 2004.

On the other hand, Chris Grier WAS in New England when Pete Carroll was their head coach for three years. Grier commonly cites Carroll as one of the guys he's learned directly from and respects.

Considering that, let's just say that based on our fact-finding mission about the split between Carroll and Richard...it's not a coincidence that Kris Richard immediately went on Miami's short list, and that Richard himself is expecting to interview again whenever he's allowed.
This taken from an article back when he got fired.

[NFL Network's Ian Rapoport added that Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll believes Richard could benefit from "experiencing something new."]

also this one...

[Because Pete Carroll appears to be hoping he’ll find another job, thereby making a firing unnecessary — and leaving any mention of a firing off of the resume of a young coach he may feel as connected to as any other]
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...hoping-its-with-the-softest-landing-possible/

How's that been working out for you the past quarter century?

The Dolphins are officially the example that will be used to show why meaningless wins are meaningless. 25 years of 8-8. That's enough sample size to conclude plenty of things, chief among them being mediocre begets mediocre and culture is nothing but a buzz word incorrectly used by people who don't know how to interpret facts or identify patterns.

I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I see this philosophy is running rampant on this board, and I would like an example besides the Colts supposed tanking to back it up. In truth, the Colts were forced into their terrible season much like the Dolphins were forced into Cutler. Still, let’s give you the Colts to save an argument over parsing the facts, and please point out another team that has tanked successfully.

When did the Patriots tank? The Steelers? Ravens? Seattle? These are perennial contenders, and not one that I am aware of has ever deliberately tanked a season to launch their success. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have not always followed anyone but the Dolphins. Furthermore, how do they maintain their success with low draft picks year in and year out? If your philosophy is true, shouldn’t these alll be one and done franchises?

It seems to me that a cohesive philosophy on how to build a team, manage the cap and draft players is FAR more relevant than what number your draft pick is. I know you believe you have to have that first round pick for your QB, but Seattle and NE didn’t. The Ravens have hardly had amazing play at QB from Flacco (save on season), either.

The only thing I see that a deliberate tank job does is get people fired, lose the team and discourage FA from signing with you. Is there proof otherwise?

I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I see this philosophy is running rampant on this board, and I would like an example besides the Colts supposed tanking to back it up. In truth, the Colts were forced into their terrible season much like the Dolphins were forced into Cutler. Still, let’s give you the Colts to save an argument over parsing the facts, and please point out another team that has tanked successfully.

When did the Patriots tank? The Steelers? Ravens? Seattle? These are perennial contenders, and not one that I am aware of has ever deliberately tanked a season to launch their success. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have not always followed anyone but the Dolphins. Furthermore, how do they maintain their success with low draft picks year in and year out? If your philosophy is true, shouldn’t these alll be one and done franchises?

It seems to me that a cohesive philosophy on how to build a team, manage the cap and draft players is FAR more relevant than what number your draft pick is. I know you believe you have to have that first round pick for your QB, but Seattle and NE didn’t. The Ravens have hardly had amazing play at QB from Flacco (save on season), either.

The only thing I see that a deliberate tank job does is get people fired, lose the team and discourage FA from signing with you. Is there proof otherwise?
I mostly stay out of the tank discussion because quite frankly, a strong case can be made both ways, both strategies can yield great results if executed correctly.

But as you noted, there are far more examples of tank jobs gone wrong than homeruns. What scares me about a tank/rebuild is that I dont trust anyone in the Fins organization at the moment to drive a tank. The tank job needs to be quick, you have to suck admirably, get your QB and start winning again. When a tank fails, you can end up with bottom of the barrel bad teams for decades...

The Browns tanked every year under Hue and have a much brighter future than us. The Raiders clearly weren’t trying to win this past season. They now have 3 first round picks and will be more relevant then us real fast.

The status quo of mediocrity isn’t working and hasn’t worked in 20 years. It’s insane to continue with the 20 year strategy of .500. Trading up to get a QB doesn’t nothing but mortgage our future and puts us at risk of an RG3 type deal.

We could easily tank during a rebuild year or 2. If we have a top 5 pick and the QB we want isn’t there, trade back and acquire more picks. The only way to build for the future is through the draft.

Another problem we have had is talent evaluation. How many QBs have we passed on in 20 years?

I mostly stay out of the tank discussion because quite frankly, a strong case can be made both ways, both strategies can yield great results if executed correctly.

But as you noted, there are far more examples of tank jobs gone wrong than homeruns. What scares me about a tank/rebuild is that I dont trust anyone in the Fins organization at the moment to drive a tank. The tank job needs to be quick, you have to suck admirably, get your QB and start winning again. When a tank fails, you can end up with bottom of the barrel bad teams for decades...

Yeah, the big risk with a Miami tank job is our draft record. Miami could end up with a 1st pick in 2020 and draft a project. Have a Dion Or Charles type pick lol

A recent home run example would be the Bucs sitting their starters in the second half against the Saints after leading in the first half to secure the #1 pick in Winston. There's plenty more where that came from ... including the Raiders this past season ... and there's nothing 'supposed' about what the Colts did to secure Luck.

The rest of your post is assumption, or just wrong. I never said this was the only way to build a contender. It's merely the best way for this blind football team to find a QB in the dark.

If you have a better suggestion for this team to get over the 25 year hump, have at it.

The Browns tanked every year under Hue and have a much brighter future than us
The Browns have been tanking for 2 decades... They have 2 winning season since 2000... Once you commit to a tank, incompetence can keep you there for a lifetime...

Realizing that what you've been doing doesnt work doesnt mean you know how or are capable of doing better...

Last edited:
A recent home run example would be the Bucs sitting all their starters in the second half against the Saints after leading in the first half to secure the #1 pick in Winston
Homerun and Winston in the same sentence... How are the Bucs doing BTW...?

This taken from an article back when he got fired.

[NFL Network's Ian Rapoport added that Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll believes Richard could benefit from "experiencing something new."]

also this one...

[Because Pete Carroll appears to be hoping he’ll find another job, thereby making a firing unnecessary — and leaving any mention of a firing off of the resume of a young coach he may feel as connected to as any other]
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...hoping-its-with-the-softest-landing-possible/

Hmmm... so Carroll wanted him to spread his wings a bit to become a better coach and eventually get HC opportunities? I did notice that there didn’t appear to be any hard feelings between Richard and Carroll because there are interviews from Dallas where Richard still credits Carroll as his greatest influence and mentor.

Back
Top Bottom