adam schefter on a.j. feeley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

adam schefter on a.j. feeley

jd13

Starter
Reaction score
schefter also said on nfl total access that he thought that with the hiring of randy mueller that gus frerotte has an advantage over feeley because nobody has ties to a.j. and gus played for linehan...plus a.j. is not a very good practice player...feeley will have to play decidedly better than frerotte to win the job...

We'll see once preseason comes around. I hope AJ starts, Gus isnt the future and we need to see what AJ can do with a good system around him. Starting Gus is a waste of time and a season imo.

I dont think it would be a waste of a season if Gus starts. I think he was brought in to start in case AJ didnt get the offense right away. I see the Gus move as insurance to buy AJ some more time if needed and a backup that already knows the system.

AJ needs to play to get better. Hes past the time in his career where he needs to hold the clipboard. The guy's what 28? If he can't beat out Frerotte his career as a starter here is over straight up. I agree that its a waste to start Frerotte, we've all seen what a mediocre player Frerotte is, we arent going anywhere with him.

Saban knows what has been invested in Feeley and i'm sure he'll do everything in his power to have him ready to start. Frerotte is just an insurance plan because he knows the offense. I think with the new offensive weapons and with the hopes that the o-line improves, AJ will really step it up this year.

Finz Fury said:
Saban knows what has been invested in Feeley and i'm sure he'll do everything in his power to have him ready to start. Frerotte is just an insurance plan because he knows the offense. I think with the new offensive weapons and with the hopes that the o-line improves, AJ will really step it up this year.
Spot on... that 35th pick in the draft would not have been traded for AJ if Saban was here. We would have had it on draft day and would have taken Corey Webster.

Saban will be willing AJ to succeed.

Omaha_Dolfan said:
I dont think it would be a waste of a season if Gus starts. I think he was brought in to start in case AJ didnt get the offense right away. I see the Gus move as insurance to buy AJ some more time if needed and a backup that already knows the system.
I agree!But lets us pray A.J gets it!!

jd13 said:
schefter also said on nfl total access that he thought that with the hiring of randy mueller that gus frerotte has an advantage over feeley because nobody has ties to a.j. and gus played for linehan...plus a.j. is not a very good practice player...feeley will have to play decidedly better than frerotte to win the job...

AJ isn't a very good practice OR game player. That is why Gus was brought in and why he will start. Neither of them are long term solutions, but for what we have, Gus is the better option.

finsnchips said:
Spot on... that 35th pick in the draft would not have been traded for AJ if Saban was here. We would have had it on draft day and would have taken Corey Webster.

Saban will be willing AJ to succeed.

I don't doubt Saban wants AJ to succeed. But if he doesn't play better than Gus, I don't think he'll be starting. It seems Saban doesn't really care what pick was traded for you or where you were drafted. His only concern appears to be who plays better.

jd13 said:

You are right saying he has no ties. However, I cringe with the thought of Gus leading this team. I just can't get past the fact of him not really being successful yet in his career -- at his age. Same thing with Feeley, never been successful, maybe even less -- but he is younger and hasn't had the same chance. I really think we need to let Feeley start so we know what we got.

Finz Fury said:

its amazing how many excuses the Feeley lovers can come up with.....

yeah, Saban knows whats been invested in AJ, but it sure as hell wasn't by him. The same principle goes for Wade Smith and Lamar Gordon. Rick spent first day picks on both, yet I dont see Saban penciling in Wade or Lamar to start. :shakeno:

In fact, Saban basically crapped on Gordon's head by drafting Brown and resigning Minor. Certainly a waste of a 3rd rounder.

I believe Wade was actually drafted with 2 picks. I think spielman moved up in the third to draft him.

Just because they were traded/drafted with high picks doesn't mean that they're destined for greatness, nor should they just be handed the keys to the castle.

Its amazing to me that people can actually say that they'd feel disgusted if Gus starts and it'd be a waste of a season. I would feel disgusted if AJ started if Gus played tremendously better than him in practice, preseason, and training camp-kind of like how people felt when Fiedler started over better QBs (Sage for example, who Wanny said had a better camp).

As Herm said, you play to win the games, and to do that you play the best QB, not the younger QB.

jd13 said:

Ties to AJ should have nothing to do with it. If Feeley is a competitor and desires to be a starting NFL QB he has to prove it on the field. I have supported him on this forum against harsh criticism, but only because I feel that judging him last season was unfair. If he has talent and he learns the system and performs well, I don't think Saban will care how he was acquired.

jd13 said:

That's kind of an idiotic statement from Schlefter...Mueller has no say on who will be on the field....His job is to acquire talent, manage the cap, personnel stuff...but who is the starting QB or which safety sits or which CB plays the nickel is Saban and his coaches decision...not the GM....

When is Total Access going to go to Dolphin Cam?

jd13 said:

Adam is about the only one who has anything to say about Miami these days. I can not, as I have posted on another thread, recall a single interview on "Dolphin cam" by that show. They have actually had Saints cam and Charger cam and all the other cams. I just have not seen a Dolphin cam at all on the show.
Could be Saban's policy, but this show is sponsored by the NFL in some manner.

Lee2000

Dudeman said:
its amazing how many excuses the Feeley lovers can come up with.....

yeah, Saban knows whats been invested in AJ, but it sure as hell wasn't by him. The same principle goes for Wade Smith and Lamar Gordon. Rick spent first day picks on both, yet I dont see Saban penciling in Wade or Lamar to start. :shakeno:

In fact, Saban basically crapped on Gordon's head by drafting Brown and resigning Minor. Certainly a waste of a 3rd rounder.

I believe Wade was actually drafted with 2 picks. I think spielman moved up in the third to draft him.

Just because they were traded/drafted with high picks doesn't mean that they're destined for greatness, nor should they just be handed the keys to the castle.

Its amazing to me that people can actually say that they'd feel disgusted if Gus starts and it'd be a waste of a season. I would feel disgusted if AJ started if Gus played tremendously better than him in practice, preseason, and training camp-kind of like how people felt when Fiedler started over better QBs (Sage for example, who Wanny said had a better camp).

As Herm said, you play to win the games, and to do that you play the best QB, not the younger QB.

Well said !

There is a mentality that if someone is drafted in a high round or if high-round picks are traded for a player, the team somehow has an obligation to play that player, even if he isn't playing well or living up to his potential. That is completely off base.

If you pay a premium for crap, it's still just crap ! Football is a game of risks and those risks extend to player development. Regardless of how much research you do, teams are destined to over value players and pay accordingly. When you make those mistakes, you cut your loses and move on. Simple as that. The game is about winning...not trying to prove that the FOs decisions are right, despite the costs.

That being said. I have not come to any conclusion about Feeley but I think he does have potential; not to be the next Marino, but to be a serviceable player for a few more years. Regardless, this team deserves to win and they can only do so with the best QB, whomever it might be.

Back
Top Bottom