Adrian McPherson wows Dolphins scouts in workout | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adrian McPherson wows Dolphins scouts in workout

PhiNomina said:
I can't believe people can have multiple drugs and battery charges but everyone wants to give them another chance, yet this guy gambles on other sports (which isn't uncommon, how many people here complain when the spread isn't covered (damn patriots game)) This guy didn't kill anyone, he isn't into drugs, he bet on some sports, he was a college student who was short on cash...a very rare breed indeed. Cut the kid some slack.

I think Pete Rose kinda ruined it for alot of ppl...

Its not how many TD`s he threw.

Its how many INT`s he did NOT throw.

He has always been like that.

He never TURNS THE BALL OVER.

You cant say character isnt an issue because it simply is. You might feel its nothing to worry about but you arent going to be fired if you waste a pick on him and you arent going to waste millions on him if he doesnt pan out. I can certainly remember being a poor college student, I didnt steal or gamble and I didnt have a professional football career at stake. I understood not to steal when I was about 4 or 5, he was wrong. I hope he's turned his life around and I wish him the best, he has every right to earn a living, he's paid for his crimes and he should move on but lets not just act like you dont even have to question it, you have to if you are responsible for a franchise like the Phins.
Lets not exaggerate his potential either, even if he has character issues if he was "Like Elway"(please), he'd easily be a 1st or 2nd rounder instead of being a second day pick. Im really not enamored with his skills(AFL doesnt mean squat), if he was picked up in the 5th round to develop I can see it, but a 2nd rounder is completely totally and utterly insane.

If we could somehow get a seocnd rounder, I wouldn't mind using it on him and having him sit behind Frerotte and Feeley for the time being and eventually taking over. He could be a steal for whoever gets him.

yankeehillbilly said:
Bad news. We really dont need another player with serious character issues.

Dude you are already treating him like a criminal. He made afew mistakes growing up so what. Everybody makes mistakes as long as they learn from them.
Duh:shakeno:

All these people who are talking about we dont need another guy with poor character etc. need to go read my post on page 1 and respond to that before they post a comment like that. Its ridiculous, if you cannot make a logical response to my post then you shouldnt be talking trash about the guy.

he seem's like he would be worth a late pick why not let him show what he can do after being in arena football.

Phinfan31 said:
All these people who are talking about we dont need another guy with poor character etc. need to go read my post on page 1 and respond to that before they post a comment like that. Its ridiculous, if you cannot make a logical response to my post then you shouldnt be talking trash about the guy.

I dont know if the guy has poor character or not but character is an issue when drafting and he certainly is going to slip because of it. Its logical to take the risks of using a pick on someone that has made mistakes into consideration. Youre not even considering them and thats not logical. You may think getting kicked off of a team for breaking the rules and stealing money are not big issues but Saban and the PHins might. Again its their necks on the line not yours. I dont know this guy but to act like picking him is risk free is not logical. Im not talking trash saying hes a bad guy but you have to look into the incident and get info on him and how he's living, who he associates with, if he's turned himself around, etc, its just commonsense.

This is from a Bradenton Herald.

I personally think he has matured and if the Dolphins can somehow get a late 2nd round pick he would be a great pick up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McPherson empties bag of tricks

Southeast graduate shows off his skills to NFL scouts at his former school

ROGER MOONEY

Herald Staff Writer

BRADENTON - For his last trick, Adrian McPherson stood flat-footed on the 40-yard line and flung a football on a high arc 60 yards into the far end zone. How's that for arm strength?

"Very impressive," said New Orleans quarterback coach Turk Schonert. "He doesn't look like a quarterback. I don't know any quarterbacks I played with who looked like that."

McPherson unveiled his Body by Adonis physique and his powerfully accurate right arm Tuesday morning for coaches from a half-dozen NFL teams on his old football field at Southeast High. The 21-year-old Bradenton native with the checkered past conducted a two-hour private workout that was attended by close to 100 people, including media, former high school coaches and teammates and some interested parties from the neighborhood.

While he ran the 40-yard dash twice (4.52 seconds was the fastest) and jumped 40.6 inches in the vertical leap, the main attraction was the throwing session. McPherson threw 68 passes to a pair of receivers - Rod Miller, the Sarasota Riverview star who played at Florida A&M, and Detroit Lions receiver Adam Herzing - who ran a variety of routes.

McPherson handled the session with ease, approaching it, he said, as if he would a game.

The toughest part of his day came afterwards when he was grilled about his past, which included the highly-publicized trial in the spring of 2003 for using the Internet to place bets on college and professional sports. The trial ended in a hung jury.

McPherson denied he ever gambled.

"I didn't gamble," he said. "It's not going to change. It is what it is. People are saying he did it, but his name wasn't associated with it. I didn't do it."

The subject comes up often - when he talks with reporters and when he meets with NFL teams, who are very interested in his past. How in-depth are the questions?

"Very in-depth," said his agent Leigh Steinberg.

Steinberg advised McPherson not to hide anything during his interviews with NFL coaches and general managers, and McPherson said he doesn't.

"There are things I told teams on a one-on-one basis that nobody else knows," McPherson said. "It's not like I'm trying to hide anything. Every team can find out anything they want to find out. So, because (the media) doesn't know some things, that doesn't mean the teams don't know. I feel like if I hide some things from the teams, anything, and they find out, I'm done. For whatever reason, they can understand that I made a mistake three years ago and that I'm being honest. And I thought I did a great job of telling every team everything, because they asked everything."

Schonert, who said the Saints interviewed McPherson at length at last month's NFL Scouting Combine, said the Saints were satisfied with McPherson's answers concerning his off-field problems while at Florida State.

"He was very up-front and forward with what happened," he said. "In my opinion it's behind him. He made mistakes, but he's moved on."

Miami, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, St. Louis and the New York Giants also sent coaches to the workout. Schonert was the most active of the coaches, acting as a linebacker while Miller and Herzing ran several routes.

"This was my opportunity. I could help myself or I could really, really hurt myself," McPherson said. "Some teams, because I haven't played, they didn't think I could so some things, so I wanted to be as sharp as possible and do whatever they ask."

At one point, the receivers were acting as running backs coming out of the backfield, and Schonert told McPherson to take something off the passes.

"I'm trying to show my arm and they want me to take something off my passes," McPherson said. "But that's a good thing. They want to see if I can make all the throws."

The idea behind the workout, according to Steinberg, was for McPherson to "awe and shock" teams into taking a long look at his client. Steinberg thinks McPherson can move into the low first round. McPherson also sees himself as a first round pick.

"My goal is to get drafted," he said. "Wherever I go, I'm just going to go in and compete. I have the talent. I'm hungry right now, so who's ever there has to compete day in and day out."

• Height: 6-foot-4.

• Weight: 211 pounds.

• 40-yard time: 4.52 seconds.

• Teams watching: New Orleans, Miami, New York Giants, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Cincinnati.

• What's next: Workouts with Baltimore and St. Louis in April.

i chilled with Mcpherson and fabian washington last night.......i dont know AD to well personally, but he was cool with me. he wouldnt give me a ride tho in his 2005 drop top benz.

Joey 22 said:
McPherson has no character issues he made some mistakes but he has a very nice guy type personality.

Rampant speculation that he actually THREW a game in college (vs. NC ST) is a character issue.

snowy said:
Rampant speculation that he actually THREW a game in college (vs. NC ST) is a character issue.

Thats just it, it was speculation. Untill it becomes more then that u cant hold it against him.

Spend the third round pick on him if he is still available. If not grab another passer to groom for the future. Alot of people had character issues when they were young. How long we gonna hold that against him.

Back
Top Bottom