AFC Arms Race | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC Arms Race

We can all agree that our offense needs talent. Parker is a veteran with a history of injuries, Preston is a similar young guy with a history of injuries. The rest of our WR corps. is decent but not exceptional. There is a lot of reason to pair a top notch young WR prospect or two with our young QB and let them grow together like Marino did with the Marks Brothers.

That said, there's a lot of evidence that the multitude of good WR's in today's draft tend to extend past round 1. Guys like Chase Claypool and Tee Higgins were very good WR's picked up in round two, and they were by no means the only good WR's picked in round two last year. In previous years a guy like the Saints' Michael Thomas was a second round pick as well. The point being that with 4 picks in the top 50, we legitimately have 4 options to find a good young WR, and it does not need to be at #3 overall. While I am a big fan of Ja'Marr Chase, and would probably select him at #3 if we stay at that spot, even I recognize that a Jalen Waddle may be available at #18, and in the second round, there are still some outstanding prospects. And while a Kyle Pitts is generally considered a TE, he is one of the best pass catchers in this draft, and he could easily be considered/adapted as a WR and he may be available at #18 as well. The point is ... if we want to draft a WR, we have a lot of good options.

Our OL is still a work in progress. With Chan Gailey leaving we lost Coach Marshall. IMHO, that's a major blow, as I finally felt we had found our architect to build/improve our OL. Hopefully his assistant Lemuel Jeanpierre (almost as hard to write as say!) learned enough as to be able to continue improving our young guys and organize/prepare our veterans. Given our atrocious track record coaching OL ... I'm going to be watching this space closely. Regardless, we do not have the answer across the OL. Jesse Davis and Ereck Flowers are veterans, and we cannot really count on them forever. We will need more young players. Ted Karras played on a one year "prove it" contract ... and he proved it, so his price will go up considerably. But, this is a rare year where the salary cap is going down, so we may be able to re-sign him, fingers crossed. Despite his rocky rookie season, I really like Austin Jackson, and believe he only needs time and patience while he is coached up and gets his body and technique in shape. Solomon Kindley is a power pig, so he's not ever going to be a great pulling guard, but for what he is, he played well, and when he gets his body in better shape he should continue to improve. Robert Hunt did a good job of adjusting to the jump in competition level and showed both potential and improvement, so I was very happy for his season ... but all three of those rookies and almost all of the veterans were mediocre or below in 2020. We need more OL and we need improved OL.

Penei Sewell is a dynamite OL, and worthy of the #3 pick. I'm a huge fan of picking talent over need, because need changes, but you can't add talent very often. While I wouldn't be upset with a Sewell pick, I'd much rather NOT pick an OL at #3 overall, especially with Austin Jackson on board. This draft has a lot of decent OL over the top 50 picks, I'm game for picking up one OL with our 1st or 2nd rounder, and adding another later in the draft ... but preferably not at #3 overall. Unless something dramatically changes, I'd be looking to trade back from #3 while staying in the top 12'ish of elite players and picking up more assets.

Looking at the Defense, I'm just not convinced with the pass rushers in this draft ... for a second year in a row ... and that's majorly disappointing. One or two will blossom and be an obvious choice ... but they all lack production or enough elite traits to really seem obvious to me right now. Lots of boom or bust potential this year. There are some good LB who could help us, like Zaven Collins, but the guy I like the most is my super-sleeper, Charles Snowden of UVa. He's long (6'6), athletic, smart, hard working, versatile and before he got injured looked quite productive. Our defense can take a guy who is quick, fast, and long and add muscle to him and make him a combo LB/DE edge rusher with great success. Currently projected as a mid round pick, depending upon who is ranking him, and without a combine this year, we should be able to steal him in round 3 or 4. That's my hidden gem. But there are LB/Edge guys available outside of round 1 for sure. To me, the only place where there are a LOT of good prospects and high positional value are at DB. The CB class is another excellent one, so no matter where you draft them, you're gonna get value, but I particularly like the depth of the top tier CB's. There are a half dozen first round worthy CB's, and almost as many 2nd round worthy guys. We ought to get one of those.

As most know, I wasn't a huge fan of the Igbinoghene selection, but he has athletic ability and he's young, so I'm not giving up on him. But, I don't see any reason not to take one of those talented CB's in the top 50. If we don't, there is still a standing need at safety on this team, and a bunch of guys graded as round 2 through 4 who could add value.

The value in this draft is on offense. Our greatest needs (OL, WR, RB) are on offense. Let's hope we build this offense in the draft.

I have confidence that the FO is internally focused on getting Tua tools to succeed.

How we won 10 games with our skill players is absolutely insane, and not repeatable.

I absolutely love the direction of this team and think we're going to have a few new toys for Tua to play with come week 1.

We can all agree that our offense needs talent. Parker is a veteran with a history of injuries, Preston is a similar young guy with a history of injuries. The rest of our WR corps. is decent but not exceptional. There is a lot of reason to pair a top notch young WR prospect or two with our young QB and let them grow together like Marino did with the Marks Brothers.

That said, there's a lot of evidence that the multitude of good WR's in today's draft tend to extend past round 1. Guys like Chase Claypool and Tee Higgins were very good WR's picked up in round two, and they were by no means the only good WR's picked in round two last year. In previous years a guy like the Saints' Michael Thomas was a second round pick as well. The point being that with 4 picks in the top 50, we legitimately have 4 options to find a good young WR, and it does not need to be at #3 overall. While I am a big fan of Ja'Marr Chase, and would probably select him at #3 if we stay at that spot, even I recognize that a Jalen Waddle may be available at #18, and in the second round, there are still some outstanding prospects. And while a Kyle Pitts is generally considered a TE, he is one of the best pass catchers in this draft, and he could easily be considered/adapted as a WR and he may be available at #18 as well. The point is ... if we want to draft a WR, we have a lot of good options.

Our OL is still a work in progress. With Chan Gailey leaving we lost Coach Marshall. IMHO, that's a major blow, as I finally felt we had found our architect to build/improve our OL. Hopefully his assistant Lemuel Jeanpierre (almost as hard to write as say!) learned enough as to be able to continue improving our young guys and organize/prepare our veterans. Given our atrocious track record coaching OL ... I'm going to be watching this space closely. Regardless, we do not have the answer across the OL. Jesse Davis and Ereck Flowers are veterans, and we cannot really count on them forever. We will need more young players. Ted Karras played on a one year "prove it" contract ... and he proved it, so his price will go up considerably. But, this is a rare year where the salary cap is going down, so we may be able to re-sign him, fingers crossed. Despite his rocky rookie season, I really like Austin Jackson, and believe he only needs time and patience while he is coached up and gets his body and technique in shape. Solomon Kindley is a power pig, so he's not ever going to be a great pulling guard, but for what he is, he played well, and when he gets his body in better shape he should continue to improve. Robert Hunt did a good job of adjusting to the jump in competition level and showed both potential and improvement, so I was very happy for his season ... but all three of those rookies and almost all of the veterans were mediocre or below in 2020. We need more OL and we need improved OL.

Penei Sewell is a dynamite OL, and worthy of the #3 pick. I'm a huge fan of picking talent over need, because need changes, but you can't add talent very often. While I wouldn't be upset with a Sewell pick, I'd much rather NOT pick an OL at #3 overall, especially with Austin Jackson on board. This draft has a lot of decent OL over the top 50 picks, I'm game for picking up one OL with our 1st or 2nd rounder, and adding another later in the draft ... but preferably not at #3 overall. Unless something dramatically changes, I'd be looking to trade back from #3 while staying in the top 12'ish of elite players and picking up more assets.

Looking at the Defense, I'm just not convinced with the pass rushers in this draft ... for a second year in a row ... and that's majorly disappointing. One or two will blossom and be an obvious choice ... but they all lack production or enough elite traits to really seem obvious to me right now. Lots of boom or bust potential this year. There are some good LB who could help us, like Zaven Collins, but the guy I like the most is my super-sleeper, Charles Snowden of UVa. He's long (6'6), athletic, smart, hard working, versatile and before he got injured looked quite productive. Our defense can take a guy who is quick, fast, and long and add muscle to him and make him a combo LB/DE edge rusher with great success. Currently projected as a mid round pick, depending upon who is ranking him, and without a combine this year, we should be able to steal him in round 3 or 4. That's my hidden gem. But there are LB/Edge guys available outside of round 1 for sure. To me, the only place where there are a LOT of good prospects and high positional value are at DB. The CB class is another excellent one, so no matter where you draft them, you're gonna get value, but I particularly like the depth of the top tier CB's. There are a half dozen first round worthy CB's, and almost as many 2nd round worthy guys. We ought to get one of those.

As most know, I wasn't a huge fan of the Igbinoghene selection, but he has athletic ability and he's young, so I'm not giving up on him. But, I don't see any reason not to take one of those talented CB's in the top 50. If we don't, there is still a standing need at safety on this team, and a bunch of guys graded as round 2 through 4 who could add value.

The value in this draft is on offense. Our greatest needs (OL, WR, RB) are on offense. Let's hope we build this offense in the draft.

Davis is 29 - not real old for OL. Flowers 26. To me, Karras is the wildcard due to his '21 asking price. All 3 can be upgraded, but I'm not sure Flo agrees. I'm with you on pass rush. Don't care a lot if it's DE/LB, Edge - call it what you want - but, pass rush MUST be addressed. WR? I don't think there's one person here who doesn't think that's a major need

Wait until you all see the metamorphasis of the Jets when they grab up deshaun.

Cant wait to see the long excuses over the reason grier went after everything BUT a young, available, proven FRANCHISE qb. Why the finz brass hasn't learned yet about the importance of keeping a clear assasin to your teams future by not allowing a divisional nemises from gaining his services and keeping us down for another decade (or longer).

I can almost gurantee that watson will be going to the jets or the patriots. After seeing what his future looked like without a big time qb any longer yesterday and brady leaving egg on bills face in lambough stadium, billichek will be doing everything he can to make a deal for watson. Even billycheat knows you have to have a big time qb to get to the superbowl but also just to get there. Watson not only becomes the best qb in our division day one, he would put us in the superbowl within a year, two tops depending on grier not pooping the bed in f/a and the draft.

It bewilders me how many here don't realize the whats in front of us. Everything fin fans have been dying for since 1984, another superbowl appearance. A true franchise qb is the biggest component to achieving that goal and it takes most teams a lifetime to land one. And here he is, in our laps and fans want an un proven rookie instead. Tua needed at least a year on the bench so we give it to him. The texans made it clear they have ZERO interest in him so we keep him as backup to watson and we either have our guy for the future or, if he busts, tua is great trade bait should we need it. Plus we keep watson away from the pats and jets!!! If tua busts or is just meh, grier and possibly flo will be gone, and should be after pulling wanny/brees part 2, fathering the NFL blunder of this decade. Maybe ever.

In the past we have relied on Parker to be our top w.r. Time to revamp this position.
With our picks my hope is we identify our guys we want and make moves to get these guys.
The Chief's model is the way to go fast playmakers at the skill positions.
We have enough picks to make this happen.
Go get the 3 Bama playmakers and Humphrey the center.

Cant wait to see the long excuses over the reason grier went after everything BUT a young, available, proven FRANCHISE qb. Why the finz brass hasn't learned yet about the importance of keeping a clear assasin to your teams future by not allowing a divisional nemises from gaining his services and keeping us down for another decade (or longer).

I can almost gurantee that watson will be going to the jets or the patriots. After seeing what his future looked like without a big time qb any longer yesterday and brady leaving egg on bills face in lambough stadium, billichek will be doing everything he can to make a deal for watson. Even billycheat knows you have to have a big time qb to get to the superbowl but also just to get there. Watson not only becomes the best qb in our division day one, he would put us in the superbowl within a year, two tops depending on grier not pooping the bed in f/a and the draft.

It bewilders me how many here don't realize the whats in front of us. Everything fin fans have been dying for since 1984, another superbowl appearance. A true franchise qb is the biggest component to achieving that goal and it takes most teams a lifetime to land one. And here he is, in our laps and fans want an un proven rookie instead. Tua needed at least a year on the bench so we give it to him. The texans made it clear they have ZERO interest in him so we keep him as backup to watson and we either have our guy for the future or, if he busts, tua is great trade bait should we need it. Plus we keep watson away from the pats and jets!!! If tua busts or is just meh, grier and possibly flo will be gone, and should be after pulling wanny/brees part 2, fathering the NFL blunder of this decade. Maybe ever.
Too many fans ignore the cost of getting Watson. He isn’t an unrestricted free agent; he is under contract for 5 more seasons (with cap hits over $40M starting in 2022). If he is moved it will likely go down as the biggest trade since the Cowboys moved Herschel Walker to the Vikings in 1989. Mind you the Cowboys used those picks they got to build their 90s dynasty and win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. I like Waston, but I have no interest in kick starting the rebuild for the Texans.

I get you like Watson and you've given up on Tua already but don't compare this with the Brees situation cause those are two complete different things. Brees was a free agent not making 40mill a year. he wouldn't had cost several high picks. Do you even know how many picks it'd take to trade for Watson or which picks those would be? We don't know what the asking price is and Watson had better weapons than tua had here. You give up those high picks and we won't be able to build around any QB but this is all academic anyway. We just hire Frye as QB coach in part because he has worked with Tua before so Tua is our QB.

One problem Josh Allen has that was exposed yesterday is he believes he can run out of any situation. This will result in too many sacks against decent teams
That is exactly what a defense is suppose to do. Force the QB to make mistakes. When you force your qb to make mistakes that is what ends up happening. That wasn't really the type of game that made him a good qb during the season.

In the past we have relied on Parker to be our top w.r. Time to revamp this position.
With our picks my hope is we identify our guys we want and make moves to get these guys.
The Chief's model is the way to go fast playmakers at the skill positions.
We have enough picks to make this happen.
Go get the 3 Bama playmakers and Humphrey the center.
If we wanted to follow the Chiefs' model, wouldn't that mean drafting Sewell at #3 to be our version of Eric Fisher who was drafted at #1, and finding our WR's and TE's in the second round or later like Tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, and Mecole Hardman? Then maybe signing an Allen Robinson type vet to be our version of Sammy Watkins? Then draft our version of Clyde Edwards Elaire who was picked at #32 with our first pick in the second round?

If we draft Smith at 3 we aren't following the Chiefs' blueprint at all. When they have had high draft picks the past 10 years they've drafted DB, DT, DE, LT, and of course, QB. The last WR they picked in the first round was Jonathan Baldwin 10 years ago, who was a BUST.

Why people can't objectively see what successful teams have done the past 10 years and want to truly emulate those teams is beyond me.

Successful teams all have great Qbs which allows them to get away with lesser players at the skill positions.
The Pats or Packers hardly ever had great skill players.
The Chief's drafted Fisher 1st overall and he has been decent that's it.
I was just using the Chiefs as an example. The Bills team were so much improved when they got Diggs for a 1st.
We need weapons period doesn't matter where they come from f.a or the draft just get playmakers for Tua.

Successful teams all have great Qbs which allows them to get away with lesser players at the skill positions.
The Pats or Packers hardly ever had great skill players.
The Chief's drafted Fisher 1st overall and he has been decent that's it.
I was just using the Chiefs as an example. The Bills team were so much improved when they got Diggs for a 1st.
We need weapons period doesn't matter where they come from f.a or the draft just get playmakers for Tua.
100% agreed Tua needs playmakers, but at #3 is not where we should start drafting them.

About a 100% chance Harris, Williams and/or Etienne is available at 36. I don’t see us drafting an RB at 18. There is a lot of day 2 value at the position this year.
I don't know about you guys but I want a damn bell cow this time around. I'm a huge fan of Etienne but something screams college greatness. I don't like his size at the next level. They also abused him at Clemson. I love the fact that Harris waited his turn and Williams split carries. They are both horses. I do love that Etienne can catch passes but between the tackles is what scares me. Hubbard is another big, strong guy that will be sitting there was well.

Back
Top Bottom