AFC East and Miami Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East and Miami Dolphins

Hey, stick around. Most of us appreciate good conversations with opposing fans. After all, we all love football.

I do think Tua makes players around him look better. Same arguments were made with Tom Brady coming out of Michigan.

I have no idea if Tua will be great. He would be coming into, initially, a tough situation if drafted by Miami. I do like his athleticism, touch and decision making. Those are nice skills to have.

Herbert scares me the most in terms of the top quarterback prospects. Very talented, but I think maybe boom or bust.

Also want to point out that no matter what QB we end up drafting doesn't necessarily mean they will automatically start right away week 1 just because they are our top selection in the draft.

If the coaching staff understands it isn't smart to throw the rookie QB in right away then they shouldn't do it. We still have Fitz another year and Rosen another few years. A lot of people around here want instant gratification and success but for next year we all have to understand there will be another significant turnover of the roster. There is going to be another learning curve in the first half of next season. Would we want our new rookie QB to be thrown to the wolves right away in week 1 and have a week 1 result like this year? Or would it be better to put a rookie QB in maybe half way through next year? I would think putting a rookie QB in now this season vs week 1 of this year would be a smarter decision. You can see the growth and improvement from week 1.

We are still going to have to be patient next year. We need a tackle and an interior lineman in the draft. If we can find a player like Boehm or trade a late round pick for a similar player we need to do that. Let the line work out the kinks through the first 8 games next year then eveluate if it makes sense to put a rookie QB in. The track record for Alabama and Oregon QBs in the NFL scare the living **** out of me. Saban hasn't produced one. Tua isn't a slam dunk. Like BillsFanInPeace said..if we don't set up a QB for success it won't matter who we draft. Then we tanked for nothing.

Always come around with my opinions. Stayed away more this year because well people can get salty during a tank.
I enjoy your thoughts. Not sure about Allen. He is a gamer and running ability for qb is important. Doesn’t matter though because bills d is legit and you guys got a good culture there. So playoffs are coming.

I agree we took rebuild or tank too far. No need to trade tunsil. I actually believe if they knew the Steelers for fitz trade woulda happen then no way they trade tunsil to Texans. Honestly it’s going to be a late rounder in the first.

The Jets are poorly coached.

The Bills haven't beaten anyone. Think Dolphins 2009 and 2016. I think they're drafting another QB in 3-4 years.

Hard to predict where Miami will be in a couple years but the coaching staff is getting this minimally talented roster to play hard and is improving each week. They have to hit on the QB to have a chance to reach the top.
The patriots haven’t beaten anyone either. The Bills are a good team this year, and Allen is a good young QB. Could they have their typical start off good and end up missing the playoffs, but right now you can’t say the Bills haven’t beaten anyone without saying the Patriots haven’t either.

Joe Burrow looks more like a potential prize than a consolation.

My concern for possibly having the 2nd overall pick instead of the 1st has gradually subsided and is turning into guarded intrigue.

Our HC and OC have spent the last 10+ years watching Tom Brady do his thing in the NFL. Burrow might be more their style of QB.

Keep an open mind, at least until November 9th (LSU @ Alabama). Anyone not watching that game better be in hospital, at a wedding or at a funeral.

As far as our division goes, odds are in our favor moving forward.

NE's past has no bearing on our future.

Buffalo and NYJ - I am not concerned with their "foundations". They will be rebuilding in the next 2-3 years.
My birthday, and the Marine Corps birthday, are both on November 10th. Chances are, I'll still be watching football before anything else, but don't presume to judge me if I have other plans.

I like your accessment. My main point was neither of these two - Darnold or Allen - are slam dunks. Both have shown good things and mostly encouraging signs for year two.

It's not a stretch, though, to think that Miami can draft a better quarterback than these two. Seeing as that's the most crucial position on the field, the Dolphins could quickly overtake both teams.
I'm not as much of a fan of his accessment. When I make an accessment, I hope to be better at it. Accessment

iMO Cinci will have the first pick, and they will get Tua. The jets will pick 2nd, cause I think we may sweep them, and they will go after an OT, leaving us Third pick.

With that, we have so many holes to fill, we take the bpa at either OT, WR, DT, DE, QB. Any one of those spots will be an automatic starter.

And if for some weird reason Cinci pick someone else, or trade out of the 1st spot, none of the next projected picks need a QB....Washington, jets, Giants, cards, Falcons, Lions...although the last two may do so for the future.

So we sit,

I will pop in and out. Will say I go to opposing sites that the Bills are about to play often. However this board is the only one outside of Buffalo I am active on. Reason is lot of knowledgeable posters here and do learn things not only about my team but football in general.

if it was a **** show like the Jets board I would come troll and leave until the next game. I enjoy my conversations here for the most part
Yeah, we had a Jets poster here once who supported Mark Sanchez as a franchise quarterback. Not knowledgeable at all and really added nothing to the board. We used to get some really good New England posters, but that was a long time ago.

I also learn from other fans. Sometimes my glasses are too aqua and orange.

iMO Cinci will have the first pick, and they will get Tua. The jets will pick 2nd, cause I think we may sweep them, and they will go after an OT, leaving us Third pick.

With that, we have so many holes to fill, we take the bpa at either OT, WR, DT, DE, QB. Any one of those spots will be an automatic starter.

And if for some weird reason Cinci pick someone else, or trade out of the 1st spot, none of the next projected picks need a QB....Washington, jets, Giants, cards, Falcons, Lions...although the last two may do so for the future.

So we sit,
That could play in Miami's favor. Get the pass rusher, Young, and a quarterback with the Pittsburgh pick. Fromm could be there in the middle of the round. Maybe.

Also want to point out that no matter what QB we end up drafting doesn't necessarily mean they will automatically start right away week 1 just because they are our top selection in the draft.

If the coaching staff understands it isn't smart to throw the rookie QB in right away then they shouldn't do it. We still have Fitz another year and Rosen another few years. A lot of people around here want instant gratification and success but for next year we all have to understand there will be another significant turnover of the roster. There is going to be another learning curve in the first half of next season. Would we want our new rookie QB to be thrown to the wolves right away in week 1 and have a week 1 result like this year? Or would it be better to put a rookie QB in maybe half way through next year? I would think putting a rookie QB in now this season vs week 1 of this year would be a smarter decision. You can see the growth and improvement from week 1.

We are still going to have to be patient next year. We need a tackle and an interior lineman in the draft. If we can find a player like Boehm or trade a late round pick for a similar player we need to do that. Let the line work out the kinks through the first 8 games next year then eveluate if it makes sense to put a rookie QB in. The track record for Alabama and Oregon QBs in the NFL scare the living **** out of me. Saban hasn't produced one. Tua isn't a slam dunk. Like BillsFanInPeace said..if we don't set up a QB for success it won't matter who we draft. Then we tanked for nothing.
Great point. I think Rosen likely starts the season next year with the rookie eventually getting playing time. No need to rush the quarterback, especially if the offensive improvements (reinforcements) come slower than expected.

The patriots haven’t beaten anyone either. The Bills are a good team this year, and Allen is a good young QB. Could they have their typical start off good and end up missing the playoffs, but right now you can’t say the Bills haven’t beaten anyone without saying the Patriots haven’t either.
I think the Bills are doing the right thing with Allen. They are relying heavily on the run game and the defense, like Carolina did with Newton early on. When Allen had to rise up to win a game, he didn't do it against New England. That will be the key for him moving forward. Can he win when teams limit the Buffalo running game? At least it looks like he can hit a barn door now. Last season, he had some of those moments.

I actually now think that Darnold is in tne tougher situation. It doesn't look good for Gase in New York. The Jets defense is pretty good, but the offense is absolutely awful. Plus, the Jets spent money like they thought the team was a contender. Bottom line, Darnold could have his third head coach in three years if New York fires Gase, which looks like a strong possibility. Plus, Darnold's weakness has always been the propensity for turning the ball over. Turnovers in the NFL equal losses.

Not a lot to get excited about this year, but Miami could move up quickly in the AFC East over the next several years.

The NY Jets, despite spending like crazy in free agency, don't look much better than the Dolphins. Their defense is decent, but the offense is really, really bad. The game Darnold had on Monday night was one of the worst I've seen in 20 years or so. I'm scratching my head to come up with a worse quarterback performance. Four interceptions, a lost fumble, throwing off his back foot, seeing ghosts. Yikes. I realize New England has made a lot of quarterbacks look bad, but those are 1960-1970's type numbers when the defenses rules allowed that side of the ball to completely dominate. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are looking for a new coach after this season as well. That would mean more changes, a new direction etc.

The Bills are playing well, but does Allen scare anyone? He shows flashes and still could develop, but he also could be the one key piece that holds the franchise back a little bit. Otherwise a pretty good team with currently the best chance to challenge New England.

Tom Brady and the Patriots look unstoppable. But Brady is 42 and said to want to play three more years. That puts him around 2022 if he doesn't change his mind.

Which leads me to Miami. If the Dolphins do indeed draft Tua, he could immediately be better than Darnold and Allen. A lot of pieces would need to be added around him, especially on the offensive line. But it's not inconceivable that the Dolphins could jump both Buffalo and New York fairly quickly.

BB has a way of exposing most QBs ....week in and week out.

Give me a tall smart accurate pocket passer for my franchise quarterback. Anything else is candy and sugar. Give me meat and potatoes.

That pocket passer better be able to move when things break down.

Before the snap he better be able to identify the defense and get his protections right. If not, in today's NFL, you better be able to manipulate, move and improvise to some degree.

Joe Burrow looks more like a potential prize than a consolation.

My concern for possibly having the 2nd overall pick instead of the 1st has gradually subsided and is turning into guarded intrigue.

Our HC and OC have spent the last 10+ years watching Tom Brady do his thing in the NFL. Burrow might be more their style of QB.

Keep an open mind, at least until November 9th (LSU @ Alabama). Anyone not watching that game better be in hospital, at a wedding or at a funeral.

As far as our division goes, odds are in our favor moving forward.

NE's past has no bearing on our future.

Buffalo and NYJ - I am not concerned with their "foundations". They will be rebuilding in the next 2-3 years.
Well....they do have TVs in hospitals. So if they are in the hospital and not watching, they better be in a coma!

Back
Top Bottom