AFC East draft outlook | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East draft outlook

Dbergan said:
I don't agree at all. Spurriers system failed because he didnt account for the NFL defense ref speed, performance...period. Anyone who ever watched Florida ball knows that Steve always had a solid running game..... :shakeno:

Agreed.

PLUS his offense would've worked for the Rams. :)

Dredd1050 said:
I thought we were using hindsight here? How many yards and TD's did he rush for last year? How many do you think he'll rush for this year? Do you think Ditka drafted him at 5 for 4 years? HE WASN'T WORTH THE PICK. Plain and simple.

Don't agree here either. RW was..and probably still is...a BEAST. Easily worth a top 5, even now (under 220 and smoking pot :tongue: )

RW changed the entire structure of Phins football. Anyone who spent years watching Danny w/ no running game knows this. Hind sight is, of course, 20/20...but let me ask you this....how do you think defenses would account for a RW quality RB in our current offense? They will **** a brick and it would open the down field attack w/ the safeties respecting the run. Real question is...who out there is a RW quality RB???

I love this comments:

If Saban is truly from the Belichick school of team-building, he’s probably wishing he could rub a magic lamp and ask the genie inside to magically create a massive two-gap run-stopping defensive lineman worthy of the number two overall selection. Since we all know that genie lives in a lamp in Foxboro and hates the Dolphins, the clear "taking a running back number two isn’t really such a good use of cap resources" choice would be Michigan wideout Braylon Edwards.

That was so true last season.

thedayafter said:
History does repeat.... and the history we are in the process of repeating for the next season or two is wide open high scoring, quick strike football... think old AFL.... the NFL changed the rules to make this happen... teams are adapting... it changes the landscape of "playmakers"...... eventually the defenses will catch up and the RB position will come back into power.... the cycle (and rules) are clearly slanted towards WR's at this time....

The running back is still in power.

Tell me, what kind of offense has the team that has won three of the last four Superbowls run? A balanced offense. Not a pass happy, throw the ball everydown offense.

I like what the article said about our draft history. I mean it's shows you that we have been giving away are drafts picks and when we do pick a player its a bust or we trade them away. Saban has to change this bigtime.

KB21 said:
The running back is still in power.

Tell me, what kind of offense has the team that has won three of the last four Superbowls run? A balanced offense. Not a pass happy, throw the ball everydown offense.

Issue is not balance..... issue is "playmakers"..... if RB's are so dominate then why can't Edge, Alexander, Henry et al get a sniff.... don't get me wrong... I support a balanced attack.... I just believe you can obtain that balance at the RB position later in this years draft....and grab a premier WR "playmaker" at the number two spot if we have to stay there.....

FlyFishingKing said:
I like what the article said about our draft history. I mean it's shows you that we have been giving away are drafts picks and when we do pick a player its a bust or we trade them away. Saban has to change this bigtime.

So true.... you look at what the other teams in the AFC East have added in the draft and we fall way short.... Saban will break the cycle....

thedayafter said:
Issue is not balance..... issue is "playmakers"..... if RB's are so dominate then why can't Edge, Alexander, Henry et al get a sniff.... don't get me wrong... I support a balanced attack.... I just believe you can obtain that balance at the RB position later in this years draft....and grab a premier WR "playmaker" at the number two spot if we have to stay there.....

The issue is balance. Drafting a wide receiver sends signals that the running game will be ignored. This isn't Marc Trestman's offense, where he will call 25 passes and 2 runs in a half. This is Scott Linehan's offense, which was #1 in the league in rushing in 2002 and #4 in the league in rushing in 2003.

Wide receiver is a dime a dozen position. Running back, while not quite being on the level of quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive line, and cornerback, is definitely more valuable to a team than a wide receiver.

There isn't a single wide receiver in this league that I would take over LaDainian Tomlinson. After I got a quarterback to build my team around, Tomlinson would be the second player I'd pick up.

Dredd1050 said:
This dude thinks Miami will take Edwards. I believe that this talk is all smokescreen to bait a trade partner. I can see Miami trading down and taking Williams a little further down. Heck, Brown might be there depending on who Miami trades down with.

Kool i didnt know Saban had Aaron Schatz working for him now.

KB21 said:
The issue is balance. Drafting a wide receiver sends signals that the running game will be ignored. This isn't Marc Trestman's offense, where he will call 25 passes and 2 runs in a half. This is Scott Linehan's offense, which was #1 in the league in rushing in 2002 and #4 in the league in rushing in 2003.

Wide receiver is a dime a dozen position. Running back, while not quite being on the level of quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive line, and cornerback, is definitely more valuable to a team than a wide receiver.

There isn't a single wide receiver in this league that I would take over LaDainian Tomlinson. After I got a quarterback to build my team around, Tomlinson would be the second player I'd pick up.

KB... Isn't Edwards BPA in the entire draft? ......It certainly is not any of the RB's.....

KB21 said:

Must be the water I'm drinkng this evening...but I must disagree yet again w/ you KB.

WR can and DOES change the course of a game....can't say more or less then a RB really..just depends on the team and the scheme.

Randy Moss can...and does redefine the game. He is easily every bit a playmaker as a LT. In fact, if the game is on the line, I'd rate RM at the very top of the list as a playmaker that is unstoppable. I'd probably rather have him on my team in fact.....

boon said:
Kool i didnt know Saban had Aaron Schatz working for him now.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That was a knee slapper!!

thedayafter said:
KB... Isn't Edwards BPA in the entire draft? ......It certainly is not any of the RB's.....
If a center was the best player in the draft would you take him at #2? History shows that taking a WR in the top 5 simply does not give value for the pick

@@@@@ said:
If a center was the best player in the draft would you take him at #2? History shows that taking a WR in the top 5 simply does not give value for the pick

The only true law of the draft is you take the BPA and not need..... Player movement, free agancy, short developmental time, you take BPA.... selecting need will bust you out....

In regards to the center position your position holds no value... moot.

@@@@@ said:

Good question. I guess if I knew I had Dwight Stephenson as my selection..well...I might just do it (given hindsight of course... :wink: ). Would solidify the position for possibly a decade...and would be a good selection, even at center.

Bottom line folks...BPA at your selection is probably the right answer, regardless of position......

Back
Top Bottom