AFC East draft outlook | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East draft outlook

Dbergan said:
Good question. I guess if I knew I had Dwight Stephenson as my selection..well...I might just do it (given hindsight of course... :wink: ). Would solidify the position for possibly a decade...and would be a good selection, even at center.

Bottom line folks...BPA at your selection is probably the right answer, regardless of position......

If you knew the center was a certified HOF and maybe the best ever to play the position chances are he would be the BPA anyhow....

I see you are residing in Singapore.... can you recommend any premium Sake selections?

@@@@@ said:
If a center was the best player in the draft would you take him at #2? History shows that taking a WR in the top 5 simply does not give value for the pick

I see what you mean. Typically C, G, S and until the last 5 years TE were considered low priority positions. But in todays NFL, can you really rank position importance much past QB? They all kind of blend in together. You can't have a great RB without a OL. You can't have a great WR without a QB. All the positions start to blend because it is a team sport.

Of course no one would take a center at #2. But it wasn't to long ago that a kicker was takin in the first round. And some gaurds/centers have started to go late in the first round, so the times are changing. A dominant player at ANY position is valuable, and that is what you draft. BPA at a position where they can dominate their competetion.

BPA has a better oportunity to make your team better regardless team need...

thedayafter said:
In years past I would agree WR's were not considered to be top 10 pick material....however the league has changed so much in recent years that the WR position has really become "the" playmaking position outside of QB.... NFL rule changes are in place to make the game more exciting to the fan.... that means more points.... rookie or second year WR's are having more impact than ever before.... if you can hurt them up top.... then eventually you can hurt them on the ground.... Linehans pass to set up the run system would support a WR selection at the #2 spot.....

EXACTLY!!!!

The NFL is evolving to a pass happy league....blatantly. They're making it so that you can't even stare at a reciever too long after 5 yards without drawing a penalty. In the past 2 years, rookie wideouts have been putting up great numbers and will probably continue to do so. Teams aren't stupid either, they know this and you can see it in last years draft strategy. 7WRs were selected in the 1st round as opposed to only 3RBs. 5 of the Wrs were taken in the top 15, while the first RB off the board was Steven Jackson at #24.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
EXACTLY!!!!

The NFL is evolving to a pass happy league....blatantly. They're making it so that you can't even stare at a reciever too long after 5 yards without drawing a penalty. In the past 2 years, rookie wideouts have been putting up great numbers and will probably continue to do so. Teams aren't stupid either, they know this and you can see it in last years draft strategy. 7WRs were selected in the 1st round as opposed to only 3RBs. 5 of the Wrs were taken in the top 15, while the first RB off the board was Steven Jackson at #24.

Look at all the TE's taken early as well..... it's long ball time in today's NFL during the season and defense time in the playoffs...

But it wasn't to long ago that a kicker was takin in the first round.

Talking about SeeBass? Hes a true freak of nature. When FSU recruited him, he had turned down $$$,000 to play professional soccer. There are many reports about him kicking brand new soccer balls flat.

How many kickers can send the opening kickoff through the uprights? or Warm up via kicking 50 yrd field goals.

Back
Top Bottom