AFC East inside intel: Vital rookies, key position battles, juicy subplots | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East inside intel: Vital rookies, key position battles, juicy subplots

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
IMPACT ROOKIES

Tua Tagovailoa, quarterback: Tua is recovering "miraculously" from his hip injury. Once he is 100 percent, the question remains: Can Tua be the same strong player he was in college, one who played fast and showed good anticipation in his decision-making and throws? Tua is a great fit for Chan Gailey's spread offense but will need to carefully calculate when it's appropriate to be a risk-taker as a runner, especially in the middle of the field. The 6-foot passer will also need to learn to adjust to NFL pass rushers when he gets on the field, which won't be right away. There's no need to thrust Tua into the starting role Week 1.

Austin Jackson, left tackle: The athletic rookie will be given a shot to be the team's starting left tackle; he could use a year of seasoning but might not have that luxury. Jackson's biggest deficiencies at this point are his strength and hand techniques, which could take time to develop. The loss of spring workouts with the Dolphins has not helped him.

Robert Hunt, offensive tackle: Hunt is a powerful, nasty blocker who will get a chance to play right tackle. There are questions as to whether he can handle speed rushers on the outside, and he needs to improve his hand use. His hands are too wide at times, exposing his chest to defenders. If he doesn't work at right tackle, the Dolphins might move him in to guard.
KEY POSITION BATTLES

There are still a lot of questions surrounding the safety position. Who are the starters? How is playing time broken up? Player roles must also be determined.
ONE ADDITIONAL STORYLINE
Will the revamped O-line come together? The Dolphins will have four new starters, so it could take some time for this unit to jell. Can Jackson hold up at left tackle vs. power rushers? And Hunt against speed rushers? Who will emerge as the starting right guard? Will it be Jesse Davis, who is a good athlete with strength but is a converted D-lineman, or second-year pro Mike Deiter, who needs to improve his handling of quick rushers and tends to play too high and with his hands too wide? Davis could end up as the right tackle if Hunt is unable to handle fending off pass rushers. The only two sure starters in this lineup are LG Erik Flowers and C Ted Karras. Otherwise, there are a lot of unanswered questions.

Nothing really new to us, same things we’ve been discussing here. Does talk about our rivals though.

Worst case, which is what Dolphins o-lines end up doing, is that the LT combo of Jackson/Davenport is so anemic, that Flowers moves to left tackle, and Dieter is back in at left guard. Or Karras at LG to save face and either Dieter or an unknown at center. Or Davis goes to LT and Flowers try’s RT. Right side they push Hunt too far and christen him the right tackle, but he gets abused, and Jesse Davis Or Flowers takes over there just to save face. But Hunt, thanks to not having meaningful guard experience during a shortened preseason, and because he is so spooked from failing at tackle, he can’t focus his efforts and just struggles along at RG. None of the backups have any business being even a spot starter and Dallas Thomas syndrome sets in for Kindley. Even if I’m mostly wrong, Flowers will still end up at tackle at some point (ugh) due to incompetence at other positions. Plugging holes in a leaky dam. Bright side would be Jackson settling in at guard and being rather effective like Tunsil in 2016.

Last edited:
Hunt could be a very nice addition as said very nasty, blue collar, and should be fun to see him get grumpy and pancake a few defensive guys.

Hunt better be working out...Cause Solomon Kindley is.

I don’t worry about Jackson, healing time is what he needed, and he’s been going to oline camps And I’m sure he’s been working out jmo.

I’m not playing Tua until Fitzpatrick loses The team..out of playoff contention..simple as that, but with many variables to justify it.

Hunt better be working out...Cause Solomon Kindley is.
Jackson, Hunt, and Deiter all went a OL camp last month. Their agent sent them, and asked the team what they wanted the players to work on while there.

They also have been working out on their own here in FL.

I think that the talent is there, it is just lacking experience.

This really is not a great time to be breaking in a new OL, but there you are.

I will be patient with the young guys and the new guys and I am confident that there is a pretty solid OL to be made from the parts they have assembled.

Maybe one more top OL prospect in the next Draft to finish it off.

I think that the talent is there, it is just lacking experience.

This really is not a great time to be breaking in a new OL, but there you are.

I will be patient with the young guys and the new guys and I am confident that there is a pretty solid OL to be made from the parts they have assembled.

Maybe one more top OL prospect in the next Draft to finish it off.
I agree wholeheartedly. But won't hide my concern these kids may be too slow and lumbering, aside from Jackson. Love the toughness, but Kindley and Hunt seem to lack in the athleticism department. You're right about potentially finishing off the job, by adding one final piece in 2021. Love the thinking in your post.

Back
Top Bottom