AFC East Offseason Power Rankings | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East Offseason Power Rankings

How many "experts" are actually right in thier pre-season predictions? I'd say maybe 2%

Yeah, I really can care less about what people think now, I only care how the Phins do on the field this season. These are for the fans.

The only real upgrade the Pats made was Colvin. Harrison is not any better than Jones. He hits harder but is also slower. Man, our division has brought in Colvin, Seau and Spikes. Those are 3 awesome LB's.

I agree with Ted, there should be some hard-hitting action this year with these guys on the field. They all have alot to prove out there, it will be an interesting thing to watch!

My July Power Rankings look like this:

AFC

1) Raiders...conference champs kept the status quo

2) Dolphins...most complete team on paper... once Griese is under center

3) Ravens...bit of a reach... but controversy is always good

4) Pats...I like what Bellichek is doing with that Defense

5) Chiefs...only if P.Holmes is back

6) Jags...sleeper pick

NFC

1) Bucs...World Champs kept the status quo

2) Rams...improved O-Line will make all the difference

3) Eagles...somehow, some way they are always there

4) Saints...match up well against the Bucs

5) Packers...somebody has to win that division

6) 49ers...Falcons are better, but no way we'll see 3 teams from the same division make the playoffs under the current format.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Well, think about it like this.. The Patriots finished 9-7 last year with a horrible run game and a decent pass game... Now the Pats have considerable talent on defense that Bellicheck can use.. Bellicheck is a genius.. Thats basically why they are so respected.. Respect is not to the players but to the ones managing those players..

If you had to rank the coaching staff not just head coach I'd say Miami was pretty far down.

NE
JETS
MIAMI/BUFFALO

Jets overall ST Def Co etc are higher than Miami.

Originally posted by holy crap
How many "experts" are actually right in thier pre-season predictions? I'd say maybe 2%

True, but I think the fan percentage is much lower...How many people last year had the Jets winning the East?

I know it's the offseason, but we have to see what happens when the games are played. And, heck, the comment on the rankings here about the Phins is very true...Until the Dolphins find a way to win late in the season, who cares?

Thats true xiiden. There's no reason to get on the bandwagon till mid december. Alot of fans last year, even with Miami in position to clinch a bye after the Oakland win, doubted and were not excited.

socal....

What has BillB done that is so impressive?

He swithed to a 3-4, but now he doesn't have a NT.... (Warren and Klecko aren't doing it, so they need soemone)
He got a new 10-sack LB (now, many say Posey will be bad b/c he is switching systems.... well, then I guess so will Colvin! rofl)
He replaced a fast, up and coming FS with great coverage ability for a SS who is pretty slow and a liability in coverage
They have not gotten better vs the run, they actually have gotten worse as they have no NT and their MLB's are crap.
Antowain Smith is the RB
They got lucky last year vs the phins
They started off on roll, but ended the season as crap.

On the otehr hand the Bills already have a better offense, but now look at the defense:

Coy Wire and PP have improved theri range in coverage, I would say they are about equal to NE's Safety tandem now

Clements and Winfield > Law (who is a STUD) and Otis Smith (he blows)

Kevin Thomas > Eugene Wilson (rook)

Spikes, Posey, Fletcher > Bruschi, Colvin, Phifer, Johnson

Pat Williams = Richard Seymour

Sam Adams, Marcus Jones (and Chris Kelsay), Aaron Shobel > Warren, Klecko, Green, McGinest

On paper, we look like the team to beat when it comes to a wild card spot in the playoffs.

Original take by MOULDSROCKS
socal....

What has BillB done that is so impressive?

He swithed to a 3-4, but now he doesn't have a NT.... (Warren and Klecko aren't doing it, so they need soemone)
He got a new 10-sack LB (now, many say Posey will be bad b/c he is switching systems.... well, then I guess so will Colvin! rofl)
He replaced a fast, up and coming FS with great coverage ability for a SS who is pretty slow and a liability in coverage
They have not gotten better vs the run, they actually have gotten worse as they have no NT and their MLB's are crap.
Antowain Smith is the RB
They got lucky last year vs the phins
They started off on roll, but ended the season as crap.

On the otehr hand the Bills already have a better offense, but now look at the defense:

Coy Wire and PP have improved theri range in coverage, I would say they are about equal to NE's Safety tandem now

Clements and Winfield > Law (who is a STUD) and Otis Smith (he blows)

Kevin Thomas > Eugene Wilson (rook)

Spikes, Posey, Fletcher > Bruschi, Colvin, Phifer, Johnson

Pat Williams = Richard Seymour

Sam Adams, Marcus Jones (and Chris Kelsay), Aaron Shobel > Warren, Klecko, Green, McGinest

On paper, we look like the team to beat when it comes to a wild card spot in the playoffs.

I've always believed that the whole is always greater than the sum of the parts. What makes the Pats so dangerous is the schemes that Bellichek runs. I think that Bellichek has added enough talent in FA and through the draft to get his team to execute his schemes...

As for the Bills, I am obviously not sold on their defense, especially that secondary... plus I am really interested to see how potent that offense is without Price...

Socal: You obviously don't follow the Bills if you say, "especially their secondary."

The Bills defensive problems last year stemmed from the play of their front 7. They have revamped the linebacking corps and taken Sam Adams to help their run D. There are questions in my mind about the pass-rush from the one spot but, all in all, they are a far better team on paper.

The Bills only problem in their secondary is their free-safety position. Hopefully Izell Reese wins the job. But the Bills corners are looking really good. Winfield, Clements, Thomas and Sidney makes the Bills as good as anyone but the Dolphins at CB in the division.

2002 Regular Top Passing Defenses

Passing Defense - Passing Yards/Game
Team G Att Att/G Cmp Pct Yds Yds/G TDs Int Sck SckYds
Tampa Bay 16 510 31.9 259 50.8 2490 155.6 10 31 43 295
Indianapolis 16 468 29.2 288 61.5 2917 182.3 19 10 36 243
Green Bay 16 531 33.2 287 54.0 2987 186.7 24 24 43 241
Carolina 16 522 32.6 293 56.1 2993 187.1 18 17 52 336
Washington 16 531 33.2 304 57.3 3033 189.6 19 14 40 250
Buffalo 16 495 30.9 281 56.8 3067 191.7 24 10 31 212
Philadelphia 16 563 35.2 333 59.1 3094 193.4 18 15 56 348
Miami 16 520 32.5 294 56.5 3102 193.9 20 21 47 327

It's true that Buffalo didn't get passed on as much because of their inability to stop the run. But when you factor in how bad Buffalo's pass-rush was last year, it makes their ranking pretty impressive. Imagine what Winfield & Clements could do if we actually pressured the other team's QB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Original take by baalworship
Imagine what Winfield & Clements could do if we actually pressured the other team's QB!

About as much as they can do with no pass rush... nothing. I don't think anybody outside the city of Buffalo thinks your DB's are worth their salt...

Though you do have a point in that I don't follow the Bills. I saw the 1 game against the Raiders and highlights of various other games, and I still don't think I saw your secondary make even 1 play...

Ignorance is bliss.

They are shut down Corners. Everybody threw on Watson last year (except the phins...) and that is b/c NC and AW just shut down the outside of the field!

INT's are not the mark of a great CB, they are the mark of a CB that likes to take chances.

Put those 2 on TB last year and they would be beasts!

Back
Top Bottom