AFC Notes: Ricky's Run Has Begun | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC Notes: Ricky's Run Has Begun

I said he was capable of producing just as many yards. I agree they are different kinds of runners. But the only thing that Ricky's been missing in order to be like Edgerrin James is a top gear to break the huge one. The problem COULD have been that he wasn't in shape with the Saints a lot. He packed on weight up to 250 lbs. Its not that this time around he was trying to get to a certain key weight, its that this time around he's trying to impress the coaches by getting in the best shape he's been....and as he says when you're just getting in shape "the weight thing takes care of itself"

Curtis Martin is one of the best cutback runners in the business if not the best active cutback runner. He's also gained at least 1000 yards in his first seven seasons which can't be taken away from him at all. Ricky's only 3 years old in the league though so give him time before you start flaunting career stats in his face. Ricky isn't as good with the cutback as CuMart but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the cutback available to him. Where CuMart is ill-equipped for power, Ricky is better equipped. Where Ricky is ill-equipped for cutback, CuMart is better equipped. But I still believe they are capable of producing just as many yards as each other.

Now is Ricky capable of putting the fumble problems and the injury problems behind him like CuMart has? We'll find out...

True, Ricky has the talent to really improve your running game,
but the only draw backs are:

1. He fumbles
Can be fixed with concentration
2. He often gets injured
Didn't miss one game last year because of any injury
3. There are times his head is not in the game..
Is now taking medication to fix his issues.
I only wonder why New Orleans gave up on him ??????
The coach never liked him.. big mistake...
that is just it the fins did employ that type of offense last year they tried it with the Fullback Johnson in one game they threw him the ball 7 times and he dropped six of them, so there went that option... out the window..
Didn't know the fins had a fullback named Johnson last year??

Still the fumbles, injury, etc those are just things he'll have to prove aren't issues anymore. Anything we say about it is just speculation. Can only heal with time. He's still capable of gaining as many yards as Curtis Martin.

I'm glad that your dumbass think that's all Ricki can do. Have you seen R. Williams as of late or are you only going by what the media is saying.

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305
I'm glad that your dumbass think that's all Ricki can do. Have you seen R. Williams as of late or are you only going by what the media is saying.

were you calling me a dumb-ass ? do you listen to what the

media has to say ? I have seen Ricky Williams play since college

and with the Saints.... he is a power back with great hands..

the point I was trying to bring across is that Curtis Martin and

Ricky WIlliams use their talent's in a different way..

THE HEX LIVES NINE IN A ROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: 1400 yards

Originally posted by nyrican

that is just it the fins did employ that type of offense last year they tried it with the Fullback Johnson in one game they threw him the ball 7 times and he dropped six of them, so there went that option... out the window..

we shall see....

You lost me there bro. Who exactly is the Fullback Johnson? The only 2 FB's on the roster last season were Rob Konrad and Deon Dyer. Plus that was with Chan Gailey as the OC. Lets see what Norv brings to the table come Sept. 22.........

I Meant Rob Conrad , maybe i was thingking of rob johnson from the bills the Qb..

anyway that's who i meant

going to interesting on the 22nd see you fish fans there ;)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Ricky Williams isn't a straight up the middle back. He's got pretty much everything in his arsenal. What he doesn't do well, is manage to break a big one for 30+ yards by getting into the secondary and putting it into high gear.

But that doesn't mean that he's not a cutback runner or even a toss sweep runner. He can perform those runs as capably as any RB, he just doesn't (didn't...at 250 lbs) break them off for huge gainers like some smaller less powerful backs do. He's probably about as good as Curtis Martin and capable of producing just as many yards.

I have to disagree w/ you. Ricky is a straight up the middle back. Yes, he can do other things but up the middle the only time he is "consistantly" effective.

And it does mean hes not a cutback runner. Ricky is just not effective in the sweep/toss consistantly. Ricky has to get his shoulders square up field.

The only time I saw when RW was "consistantly"effective w/ a toss is when the saints modified it a little for him. Instead of just runnning to the right at the snap of the ball, (thus not getting his shoulders square to the line), instead they would make him sidestep/hop to the right and when the toss came he would have momentum forword w/ his shoulders already squared up. The length of the toss was kinda scary. Its kinda hard to explain but I hope you can somewhat understand what I'm trying to describe.

Has anybody mentioned that RW is down to 230 and plans on playing at 225......shouldn't that help him become a more "multi-directional" runner?

Well if it solved things that easily I think he would have already done it. I am the 1st to report he was getting to his college weight, so I'm one of most excited about it. But we'll see if he is fast enought o get past the DB's. In college he could at that weight, but in the por's everyone is as good as the best player on those college teams.

I would ecstatic if he ran for 1,300 yards and 300 receiving. That way we can still use Minor and his speed, keep RW fresh for playoffs, and keep that 1st rd pick!

Well, I have yet to see a NFL team NOT make changes to the strength of a player.

Nyrican....9 times in a row. Yes, that is true. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in china? Nothing. Sit, think about it, then lets chat about the head to head match ups in the AFC East.

St. Fan....I am in Texas. Every saturday Ricky was on. I watched him do many things, from sweeps, to options, to run up someones backside...I don't think he's as one dimensional as people are saying.

Is Ricky the savior? HELL NO. The Saints thought so, guess what happened. The Dolphins have more facets then what the Saints did at that time. So RW is just a portion of our team.

As with any team, injuries affect them. No team is immune to this. Sometimes its linemen, sometimes it's backs or receivers....who knows what will happen this year.....I'm just looking for 100 yards a game. Nothing to greedy. I'm easy to please. But with ANY running back, the oline makes all the difference.

As Boomer says...."thats why they play the games".

Back
Top Bottom