After 5 games, How do you Feel About Ireland Now??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After 5 games, How do you Feel About Ireland Now???

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I will continue to say that - We are not coaches and that's why we have a day job.....

I know Ireland failed in Free Agency because of NoNoo, and Hicks, and T. Johnson, and Chad, etc... But we did not overpay for Mario Williams and Anderson (Buffalo is not pressuring the QB that much)

We also did not overpay for Eric Winston and I like the O-Line of young players we currently have. They can play together for the next 5-10 years...

We did not overpay for Peyton even though he looks to be almost back to his old form, he doesn't have much years left.. But Tannehill does..

And the draft!!! We do have to give Ireland credit for the draft..... Jones, Sean Smith, Pouncey, Miller, Tannehill, etc..

Note: No draft is perfect so we will have guys like Egnew drafted very high who may not contribute this year but could next year or could end up being a bust.

IMO, it has to do a lot with coaching. Philbin and company are getting the absolute most out of every player on the team.

I feel he has a HUGE opportunity to redeem himself this offseason with tons of cap space and draft picks

I feel he has a HUGE opportunity to redeem himself this offseason with tons of cap space and draft picks

Throw in Philbin, Sherman and coyle in the decision making process and I think this team will look way different and much improved next year.

I will continue to say that - We are not coaches and that's why we have a day job.....

I know Ireland failed in Free Agency because of NoNoo, and Hicks, and T. Johnson, and Chad, etc... But we did not overpay for Mario Williams and Anderson (Buffalo is not pressuring the QB that much)

We also did not overpay for Eric Winston and I like the O-Line of young players we currently have. They can play together for the next 5-10 years...

We did not overpay for Peyton even though he looks to be almost back to his old form, he doesn't have much years left.. But Tannehill does..

And the draft!!! We do have to give Ireland credit for the draft..... Jones, Sean Smith, Pouncey, Miller, Tannehill, etc..

Note: No draft is perfect so we will have guys like Egnew drafted very high who may not contribute this year but could next year or could end up being a bust.
Wait, so coaches don't have day jobs? Do they only work at night or something?

Free agent signings were awful but this wasn't a great free agent class either. Personally I would have gone after Reggie Wayne at WR and he would have been my only target especially since they didn't target a WR in the draft. I may have gone after Brandon Carr at CB as well but Marshall came cheap and I think going into to camp the thought was we had our two starters in Smith and Vontae...it just didn't end up that way so Marshall really made more sense...and he came cheaper.

Eric Winston is probably re-thinking his decision right about now. He probably wishes he would have taken less money to stay with the Texans or come here.

I didn't want Peyton here...I had too many concerns about his health and I also wanted us to go all in for the WCO. If we would have signed Peyton we would have had to run his offense, and sign some of the players he's familiar with and it would have been all about Peyton Manning and not about the future of the Miami Dolphins and building towards that future which is what we're doing now. I know I was in the minority on this one.

Nobody hits on every player in the draft and truthfully I didn't think this past draft would pay dividends this early but I liked what it meant for our future. I only expect Martin to start day one but Tannehill has been a real surprise, Miller I knew would take some time after watching him with the Canes...I knew his pass blocking was bad and that he struggled with his reads but if you gave him a crease he could take it the distance, Egnew I figured was a huge project...not sure he even makes it right now, Vernon I liked and while he's not shown much in pass rush he made a very athletic play in coverage against Cincy that not many DEs in this league can make...wasn't very high on Kaddu or Cunningham or Kheeston Randall but Randall's been a little bit of a surprise and I think at some point this year Matthews will get his shot. It was a good draft...but now you have to follow it up with a better one with some skill position play makers. And free agency next year is gonna be huge...need to re-sign some key players...Ireland is going to have to bust his but before the draft this year more than any other year he's been with us.

Feel exactly the same. This team would be significantly better than 2-3 had Ireland properly done his job.

We had the first overall pick and multiple second round picks in 2008. We have 1 player still on the team from that draft class. Utterly unacceptable. Not to mention we probably could have fixed our wideout problem(that Ireland created when he failed to replace Marshall, who he traded for and away) if we had cap space. Either by signing Vincent Jackson or signing a right tackle and using our second round draft pick on a receiver.

Ireland holds onto players he has signed way to long to try and justify his mistakes. Multiple teams passed on Naanee and everyone saw how bad he was in the preseason, there is no excuse why it took 4 games to release him. Carpenter has been streaky for years with his kicks, yet we refuse to bring in competition. I doubt anyone can disagree that Irelands failure to replace Carpenter has cost us games(if nothing else, the Jets game).

We look very good because our coaching is very good. Our team comes in very prepared. But we just dont have to talent to overcome mistakes. We have to play everything near perfect. We shouldnt be relying so much on a rookie quarterback. The fact that Tannehill has stepped up doesnt justify how much we needed him to step up. We have the quarterback and the coaching staff now, lets bring in a general manager who can land playmakers instead of one who drafts offensive linemen in the first round then bombs the rest of the draft.

Ireland doesn't coach the team so what he "has done" after five games, is no different than what he did before the season started. Ireland buys the groceries, but Philbin makes the dinner, and he is the one who makes decisions that win or lose games.

Coaching staff is making him look good. Lack of playmakers sucks but he actually has done a very solid job. Built a great defense and Ireland deserves credit for it.

After 5 games I feel exactly the same - Ireland has been OK and deserves to work the draft in 2013 and see if he can build around Tannehill.

My major issue with Ireland is that he ignored the QB position for 2 years, but he drafted one this year and seem to be moving forward.

he is the worse thing that has happen to the miami dolphins the first guy must work for the dolphins he was stupid for trading v/davis away that guy was a good corner and marshal should go down the road with jeff please mr ross do the fan a fanior firer jeff asp don"t let him screw up the draft picks we have next year the fans don"t want him

Back
Top Bottom