After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB?

I've been counseling that we remain in place for months... but then again, I am a known Anti Tuaite.

One thing that I have witnessed in my 40+ years of watching the draft is that impatient GMs don't last. Like the Houston bunch, they continually overpay and eventually fall by the wayside. Like poker players, smart teams bluff. They let the game come to them and they refuse to make unforced errors. Sometimes they miss on a prospect, but the teams that trade down win far more bets than they lose.

I get it... I do... some of you REALLY think that Tua is the second coming of the invention of sliced bread, and I guess if you hanker for him that badly... then you are one of those impatient GMs that I mentioned earlier.

Don't do it. Don't trade up... If anything, wait til we see which QBs are there when we draft... and then trade down.

Sure, someone may trade up to #3 and snag our 6' foot fragile idol... and I say... good.
GMs that don’t secure a franchise QB don’t last long either

Why would you take that risk? I just don't believe that an organization doesn't have a preference of order in how they have these QBs evaluated. There is no excuse for Miami to have to settle for anyone other than their top selection unless Joe Burrow is their #1 target and Cincinnati won't budge off their pick, which is fine in my opinion because I believe Tua is the best QB prospect in this draft.

My point is, and this is especially if the chargers sign Cam Newton, which all but seals it but my point is they really won’t have to trade up because there really ain’t anyone likely to jump in front of them. Call it an extremely high probability bet.

The Colts are still a possibility, imo. Rivers isn’t the answer in Indy

The colts are all in to win now. They need to draft players to help rivers win, to compete for a super bowl, that’s why they signed rivers. Not to trade away massive draft capital to pick who? An injured player line Tua who won’t play next year? Or Herbert, who also would sit behind rivers for a year? No, they need to draft an impact starter to help rivers take them deep into the playoffs. They signed rivers to win now.

I agree with the OP, however, there are a few issues.

Indy still need a qb for the future. Rivers is old, and Brissett is adequate, but they obviously don't see him as long term future. if they did then they wouldn't have signed Rivers.

Panthers I still think they need another qb. I have never rated Bridgewater, and I don't see him as a franchise QB. With the cast he had in NO, he only put up below average numbers. I believe that they will draft a qb, and early.

Chargers will draft one, or an O lineman, depending on who falls. I cant see them trading up. They don't have the ammo. I also think Newton may well end up in a Chargers uniform.

Skins are an unknown proposition. They have Haskins, but he wasn't a Riviera pick, and Allen was. I wouldn't think they would draft a qb in round 1, but they may offer Haskins out as trade bait. Just my thoughts, nothing else.

Raiders have the ammo, Carr may be trade bait too, or may be cut. I think he is a good qb, much better than Mariota who is injury prone and erratic at best. I think they are a big chance to trade up to 2, 3 or 4.

Miami. I have always said that they shouldn't trade up. The draft capital that we have, I would much prefer to keep. However, if they did trade up to get Tua, and I think he is the best qb in the draft, then I hope we dont give up 18 and 26 to move up to 2. I would give up one of them , plus 5 at a pinch, but thats all.

The Raiders are the biggest worry I think.

I dont think Free Agency has changed much, but if anything, created more teams that might be looking for a QB for the future.

How so?

Carolina signed teddy Bridgewater, that means the panthers are not going to trade ahead of us for a qb.

The colts signed Philip rivers indicating they are all in to win now. Also reducing the possibility they trade in front of us to draft a qb to close to zero as that is a move u make to win now.

The buccaneers signed Brady, so they won’t trade in front of us.

The raiders signed mariotta so they have competition for Carr, which makes it more likely they’ll stay put and draft a speedy receiver or some
Defensive help to win some games now this year.

That’s 4 teams who because of free agency won’t trade in front of us to draft a qb, and one of them cut Cam Newton whom the chargers must be kicking the tires in to try and get some fans in their new mostly empty stadium.

Free agency has just about cleared the deck for us! What are you talking about?!

I think dolphins should build around Cam.. if he is healthy.. you can get 5 to 7 good yr out Cam. He would be best qb in afc east. Draft good backup.. or keep Rosen.. cut Fitzpatrick and pay his 2020 salary. For good 2019 season.

How so?

Carolina signed teddy Bridgewater, that means the panthers are not going to trade ahead of us for a qb.

Good QB, but probably not the answer. Seems to be more of a "Bridge" than anything else. By getting rid of both Allen and Newton they have room for a young guy.

The colts signed Philip rivers indicating they are all in to win now. Also reducing the possibility they trade in front of us to draft a qb to close to zero as that is a move u make to win now.

Same deal. Rivers isnt stopping anyone from getting their future QB.

The buccaneers signed Brady, so they won’t trade in front of us.

Agree. I dont see them trading up, but they still might draft a guy later. I'm actually more concerned about the Pats trading up now. (Not likely, but not impossible)

The raiders signed mariotta so they have competition for Carr, which makes it more likely they’ll stay put and draft a speedy receiver or some
Defensive help to win some games now this year.

Same deal as with the Panthers and Colts. Mariotta isnt stopping them from moving up for a guy that might be their future franchise guy.

That’s 4 teams who because of free agency won’t trade in front of us to draft a qb, and one of them cut Cam Newton whom the chargers must be kicking the tires in to try and get some fans in their new mostly empty stadium.

Free agency has just about cleared the deck for us! What are you talking about?!

On top of that, you have a guy like Dak Prescott playing games his body cant cash. I could forsee the Cowboys calling his bluff and drafting a QB. And it is becoming apparent that the Bears have lost patience with Trubisky, Deshawn Watson seems to be looking to move out of Houston and if he forces a trade, could put them in position to grab a top QB, and the Redskins and Lions havent done anything that would make me confident they would pass on a QB themselves.

That's just my 2 cents. I honestly believe that there is "generational" level talent at QB at the top of this draft and nothing ive seen in free agency thus far would prevent a team from drafting that talent.

How about Love? Marinos senior year he threw 17 TDs and 23 picks.
i think this is where most people are torn. move up for tua or down for love? since love and marino both had similar senior seasons with td/int, love is clearly the next marino. and, since both tua and brees are 6', tua is clearly the next brees. who do you take? when you think about it, the only wrong answer is herbert, because chad henne also started 4 years and look how he turned out.

I don’t think they need to trade up because even if the Chargers trade up and draft Tua, the Dolphins will still be able to select Herbert at 5 and keep their other two first round picks. I think they are probably leaning toward pick Herbert anyway because of Tua’s hip injury so they should just stay at 5 and let Herbert fall to them.

I think the Panthers and possibly the Patriots will end up being in the Lawrence sweepstakes in the 2021 draft. So I really don’t see the Panthers trying to move up and draft one of the QB’s in this years draft.

I think the Panthers and possibly the Patriots will end up being in the Lawrence sweepstakes in the 2021 draft. So I really don’t see the Panthers trying to move up and draft one of the QB’s in this years draft.
Brother why would the Panthers be looking at a QB when they just signed Teddy Bridgewater?

Last edited:
We are competing w many teams. What did KC trade up from? 25? Teams think quite strategically. Just because they draft low, doesn’t mean they dont need a qb. Plus they have nothing to lose bc their pick is just a luxury , not a need.

Back
Top Bottom