After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB?

I will consider him a success if he provides top 10 QB play for a decade. It takes a team to win a championship not one stud QB just ask Dan

I'm not really trying tp predict what kind of career Tua will have, more trying to figure out what type of career will he need to have for people to be satisfied with paying the cost. For example as good as Aaron Rodgers has been, if Tua puts up big numbers for his career and leads Miami to one Super Bowl championship is that enough? Or if he has a Matt Ryan type of career with one super bowl appearance but no championships is that enough? Once you pay the price of two or three 1st round picks does the qb need to bring you two or three super bowl appearances to justify the cost?

Fair point. My point, is mathematically, we are splitting hairs here, there is so Much uncertainty and based on where we are, and the threats to pay a ridiculously high price (other than the chargers) to trade up in front of us after San Diego, especially after free agency, we would probably be better served to stay put without paying the price to trade up and we will have an even better chance to win a super bowl with the extra first and probably second round picks it would cost to move up. Who do we have to move up for? Nobody IMHO, but I could be wrong of course. LOL

I will consider him a success if he provides top 10 QB play for a decade. It takes a team to win a championship not one stud QB just ask Dan

So a Phillip Rivers type of career would be fair return if he cost two or three 1st round picks? I'm not saying he wouldn't be just asking. For some fans it seems to be all about championships. For other fans entertainment value plays a factor, for example no regrets watching Marino or Barry Sanders for a decade even if they never won a title. For others it's a balance of the two, entertain me but at least give me a chance to hope for a title shot evvery few seasons.

For me I would love to have our own young Phil Rivers, Eli, Ben then it’s up to the admin to work the support staff and hopefully get the big one

I completely reject the concept of drafting QBs that RELY on their mobility for just this reason-- their careers are MUCH more likely to be short, and while a pocket QB can shake off lower body injuries (how many scopes did Dan have?), the leg QB can't.

We see it over and over... after a few years, their coaches BEG them to stop running, and most don't... ending up like Cam Newton.

I hear guys say, but if he gets us to the playoffs right away... I don't care if his productive career is only 8 or 9 years.

Pfft.

There are at least 6 potential starting QBs in this draft.

If you have a high grade on one of less popular choices, you can easily get your man.
There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean I would want all of them as the starter for my team.

I completely reject the concept of drafting QBs that RELY on their mobility for just this reason-- their careers are MUCH more likely to be short, and while a pocket QB can shake off lower body injuries (how many scopes did Dan have?), the leg QB can't.

We see it over and over... after a few years, their coaches BEG them to stop running, and most don't... ending up like Cam Newton.

I hear guys say, but if he gets us to the playoffs right away... I don't care if his productive career is only 8 or 9 years.

Pfft.
Who are you referring to specifically?

That’s a fact.

However, it’s not really addressing the point. There’s more than one way to win a Super Bowl. You can do it the right way and still never win one. You’re not guaranteed anything no matter how you do it.

What the NFL realizes is that the only one way to have the biggest window to put yourself in position to be a contender for the playoffs and a shot at winning a Super Bowl is having a better quarterback than everybody else, or having a better quarterback than most everybody else.

All the other pieces are going to change with the wind no matter what. You always want that one constant to be your quarterback being better than everybody else’s.

Quarterbacks are the biggest factor in terms of winning and losing games over the long haul above anything else.

If you’re trying to build a team to win a Super Bowl you’ve already failed. The goal is to build a foundation that makes your window as big as possible. That foundation begins and ends with the quarterback position.

That’s a fact.

However, it’s not really addressing the point. There’s more than one way to win a Super Bowl. You can do it the right way and still never win one. You’re not guaranteed anything no matter how you do it.

What the NFL realizes is that the only one way to have the biggest window to put yourself in position to be a contender for the playoffs and a shot at winning a Super Bowl is having a better quarterback than everybody else, or having a better quarterback than most everybody else.

All the other pieces are going to change with the wind no matter what. You always want that one constant to be your quarterback being better than everybody else’s.

Quarterbacks are the biggest factor in terms of winning and losing games over the long haul above anything else.

If you’re trying to build a team to win a Super Bowl you’ve already failed. The goal is to build a foundation that makes your window as big as possible. That foundation begins and ends with the quarterback position.

Truer words have not been spoken. Better yet get the pieces around your QB before their rookie contract is up. I would say that helps, ala Mahomes or I guess you could marry a Super Model so you don’t demand a Kings Ransom and the team can afford other pieces. But I guess those odds are pretty slim.

You will have to forgive me but I’m wondering why this is even a question. I’ve got a ton of skins in this type of thing and you got nfl evaluators and decision makers even watching 4 pocket movement clips and saying “top 5” already and “ahead of schedule” off those clips and you think you can sit at 5 and wait for him to come to you.

Back
Top Bottom