After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Free Agency do we still have to trade up for QB?

Thinking about the chargers, they have Tyrod - he's already been a mentor to one guy on another team so he knows what to expect. At this point they have to think they can get Herbert (who some believe is top 3 QB in the draft) or Love (some believe is top 3 QB in this draft). Also, there are two other experienced QB's in Winston and Newton floating around out there. This could also be Miami's thought, they can take a top 3 QB at 5 for Fitzmagic to mentor, or take an OLine/DB and have Fitz and Newton battle it out with a 2nd rounder QB to learn.

Miami been linked to Tua, Herbert and Love. So they can stand pat at 5 and pick whoever fell to them and say they got their guy.....even if they didn't.

It's crazy not to move up if Tua is the guy they want. Take no chances. An extra pick or two to ensure a potential franchise QB is worth sacrificing. You didn't acquire all of this draft capital to ensure being able to land your guy only to lose your nerve and get trumped by another team at the last moment. The only scenarios I can see that Miami doesn't move up is if none of the teams above them want to move out of their pick or Miami doesn't have Tua as the higher rated prospect between Tua and Herbert. The first scenario would be out of their hands and it might still work out in their favor if none of those teams ahead of Miami want Tua. The second scenario is what scares me the most. That they won't get the evaluation of the better prospect right or they would be willing to settle for the lesser prospect and just stay at five.

I think i go into the draft trying to trade cincy for the #1 pick, if we cant and they take him then i think i go to plan B. I said before Tua got hurt i wasnt completely sold on him so i think i go with my gut feeling and pass on him. As for plan B i draft O-line along with one of the top 3 RBs and see if i can sign Cam on a 1 year prove it deal for around 18-20 million. If he stinks or gets hurt then no loss we'd still have Fitz or rosen and be in position to draft a qb next year. If he succeeds then we have a stud QB for possibly 5-8 years.

I doubt we sign Cam Newton, doesn’t make sense on a number of levels:

1. Health? we don’t know and won’t be able to know due to Corona Virus
2. We are rebuilding for the future. Makes more sense to draft our own rookie QB prospect and we are in a great position to do so.
3. Having said that? Who knows? If he’s healthy, he is talented, although he isn’t particular accurate. Personally, there is a reason Carolina moved on from him and I would be surprised if we paid the price to get him in terms of the guaranteed money it would likely require.

But that’s just me....

It's crazy not to move up if Tua is the guy they want. Take no chances. An extra pick or two to ensure a potential franchise QB is worth sacrificing. You didn't acquire all of this draft capital to ensure being able to land your guy only to lose your nerve and get trumped by another team at the last moment. The only scenarios I can see that Miami doesn't move up is if none of the teams above them want to move out of their pick or Miami doesn't have Tua as the higher rated prospect between Tua and Herbert. The first scenario would be out of their hands and it might still work out in their favor if none of those teams ahead of Miami want Tua. The second scenario is what scares me the most. That they won't get the evaluation of the better prospect right or they would be willing to settle for the lesser prospect and just stay at five.

I’ll bet there isn’t as much room between Herbert, Tua, and Love as you might think in terms of how front offices are evaluating them. Tua’ s injury risk is a factor. We won’t have to trade up for him. Doesn’t me we wont’ trade up, it just means we most likely wouldn’t have had to.

It's simple for me. If there is a QB available that you believe is your guy going forward, then you take no risk. You don't want to get jumped by another team and be forced into falling in love with a 'lesser' prospect. If Tua is their guy then they need to do whatever they can to make sure they get him.
This makes sense prior to his hip injury

So, before free agency, there were multiple teams that were were concerned with potentially jumping in front of us, or if they were in front of us (Washington/Detroit) . Now free agency has been underway for awhile and how does the picture look now?

1. Cincinatti. Maybe we will trade up for Joe Burrow, but I would be surprised. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but I would be surprised. Reason being, the FO loves fitz, know’s chan Gaileys’ system, so we need to draft a rookie to sit behind Ryan and learn since whomever we draft would likely sit for most if not all of the season. We don’t have to trade the farm and could draft either Tua or Herbert at 5 without any trades which if you are weighing cost vs reward, might be just fine. I doubt CincinatI trades out and doesn’t draft Burrow, but it could happen, and as long as we could still draft a good tackle with one of our remaining 1st round pics and we wouldn’t have to jeopardize that, then maybe this is possible. This is the biggest wildcard in my opinion. Once past this, we don’t have to move.

2. Washington. Just signed Kyle Allen from Carolina, knows Rivera and the system. Dwayne Haskins, still has something to prove and is unknown in terms of his development and what he will turn into. I think they’ll take BPA HERE.

3. Detroit. Jobs are at stake, they will likely draft Okudah especially since they traded Darius Slay. This seems like a no brainer. Chargers only one IMHO who would be a threat to jump in front of us, and I don’t think they will, I’ll tell you why later.

4. NY Giants. Daniel Jones, don’t need to draft a QB this high yet. There are too many great players here available that can address a wide variety of needs. And once again, I’ll tell you why I don’t think Chargers need to trade in front of us.

5. Here we either draft Tua or Herbert depending upon who FO feels best about, possibly Jordan Love, you never know, when you factor in a red shirt year to learn behind Fitz, whoever they value the highest they can take here and still have all of their additional picks left that they traded good players away for to plug the many holes that are left on this roster.

6. Chargers. I think the Chargers are the number one destination for Cam Newton. They need fans to show up in their stadium in Los Angeles. Cam is big time, might be injured, but he should bring in some fans. They can draft whoever they want here including weapons for Cam, O line help, or Herbert/Love/Tua whomever is left with Love and Herbert probably being better fits to learn behind Cam here. Now, even if they don’t sign Cam Newton, I still don’t think they need to pay the price because they can either get Tua Herbert or Love here, whomever they rate the highest as they will need a veteran QB IMHO if they don’t sign Cam. Cam to LA makes alot of sense to me right now, so that’s what I’m betting on. Hey, it may not happen, and if it doesn’t, then I reserve the right to adapt to changing circumstances. Even if Cam doesn’t go to LA Chargers, they can stay Put and still draft a fine QB prospect at 6, they don’t need to trade up and therefore, neither do we.

Who is left who would jump in front of us potentially before free agency? Who were the candidates we were concerned about?

Panthers? Teddy Bridgewater. They don’t need to burn Draft capital to jump in front of us for a QB.

Jaguars? I think they will see what they have in Gardner Minshew this year. They may draft another prospect at some point in the draft, but they don’t need to pay the price to jump from 7 to 4 when they may have something with Minshew on the roster. Don’t think they need to pay the price for that.

Raiders? They have Marcus Mariota. they can still draft another young developmental QB in this draft at some point to compete, but they don’t have the motive to trade up from 12 to 3 or 4.

So this is why I don’t think we are going to have to trade up to pick our QB at 5.
Nice post Brother! Makes good sense to me... :up:

The team to watch is Washington at #2. At one point, they were said to be interested in Tua. Not sure whether that is a smokescreen to get teams to move up, or if there is really interest. But if the Redskins actually do draft Tua, then you've got to wonder how strongly the team feels about Herbert.

Chargers, Raiders, maybe Panthers could jump Miami. I'd watch Jon Gruden closely. He can't be happy with Derek Carr. I know they brought in Marcus Mariota, but I wouldn't discount that they could package both #1 to move up. Depends how they feel about the quarterback options.
Washington traded for Kyle Allen. I doubt they bring in a third qb at this point.

I've been counseling that we remain in place for months... but then again, I am a known Anti Tuaite.

One thing that I have witnessed in my 40+ years of watching the draft is that impatient GMs don't last. Like the Houston bunch, they continually overpay and eventually fall by the wayside. Like poker players, smart teams bluff. They let the game come to them and they refuse to make unforced errors. Sometimes they miss on a prospect, but the teams that trade down win far more bets than they lose.

I get it... I do... some of you REALLY think that Tua is the second coming of the invention of sliced bread, and I guess if you hanker for him that badly... then you are one of those impatient GMs that I mentioned earlier.

Don't do it. Don't trade up... If anything, wait til we see which QBs are there when we draft... and then trade down.

Sure, someone may trade up to #3 and snag our 6' foot fragile idol... and I say... good.
What a bunch of nonsense. Good GMs are not "patient" when it comes to the QB position. Since 2016 there have been 14 QBs selected in the first round. 10 of those 14 the team that made the selection traded up to make the pick. Two of the other four already had the first pick in the draft and didn't have to move up. So all your crap about teams being patient doesn't hold up. You don't remain passive when it comes to the most important position in all of professional sports. Included in that list of teams that were aggressive in obtaining their QB by moving up were Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. Three of the best run franchises in the whole NFL.

I’ll bet there isn’t as much room between Herbert, Tua, and Love as you might think in terms of how front offices are evaluating them. Tua’ s injury risk is a factor. We won’t have to trade up for him. Doesn’t me we wont’ trade up, it just means we most likely wouldn’t have had to.
Why would you take that risk? I just don't believe that an organization doesn't have a preference of order in how they have these QBs evaluated. There is no excuse for Miami to have to settle for anyone other than their top selection unless Joe Burrow is their #1 target and Cincinnati won't budge off their pick, which is fine in my opinion because I believe Tua is the best QB prospect in this draft.

Burrow is worth it.

Tua is worth it.

How about Love? Marinos senior year he there 17 TDs and 23 picks. He had a worst season than Love. Marinos junior year was great. What happened in his last year? Something must have been wrong with Marino's. Why did Shula pick him at 27 as the 7th QB taken in the draft?

Miami desperately needed a starting QB and Shula was sold on skills shown Marinos junior year and of course must of loved the interviews.

Love won't last till pick 27. If Burrow and TUA can't be had, pick Love for his junior year skills and playmaking capacities. Forget about the senior year.

I would wait it out. If Detroit called me and says so and so is offering something to move up I may counter. But it won’t be more than an additional pick or two 2nd rounders or later. Maybe. Who is to say we can’t win with Tua or Herbert? Mahomes or Watson obviously you can win with both.

I'm not saying Miami should sign Newton or Winston, but if they did and reached one Super Bowl within the next 5 years would it be be deemed a success and worth passing on a rookie qb?

Back
Top Bottom