After Further Review | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Further Review

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
10 Observations from this week's game:

1. The main problem on offense is the line. There are few running lanes and the pass rush is coming so quickly that Jay has no time. Brackens was in the backfield so fast you would think he started there.

2. Even when Jay has time he has nothing resembling touch on the over the top throw. He can hit a spot on the line with greater arm strength than people think, but he can't time up on the long ball and everyone on both sidelines knows it.

3. Ricky needs to stop looking and just hit the line. He is looking for holes that just are not there. Get the 2-3 sure yards. He is trying too hard to turn every run into a TD. Cost us on the sweep late when he should have just gotten down and on the dropped circle route.

4. Madison is an exciting player for both teams. His tendancy to slide off his receiver creates some big plays, but he makes me nervous when he gambles.

5. James McKnight needs to start. He is what he is, a fast guy who will make plays and drop plays. But right now he is simply better than Thompson.

6. An excellent day on run defense against a very very good back. Very good tackling between the tackles and nice fills by the DBs on the sweeps. Over all an exceptional defensive effort against the run.

7. Even with that said, Tim Bowens should come back soon. The middle of the line does not get the push when he is gone. Bowens is probably the most underappreciated man on the defense. Takes two blockers.

8. Zach on a running back in coverage is bad news. If Taylor doesn't drop an easy throw we might be talking about a bad loss.

9. The pass rush is still weak against an average O-line. Jason Taylor is trying, you can see the effort, but they are blocking him one on one all day. Wally is making more plays at this point. We need to blitz more especially against the younger QBs.

10. Our receivers need to make the big catch. McMichael and McKnight could have had huge plays. Both were tough catches, but those are the plays you need to win against the best.

the big paychecks, they earned it. if O-line will strugle, which i predicted, then give big props to coaching and keep hoping. nobody important will read this till wedness day; i'm telling you. whoooooo, i've been drinken! ! ! ! ! we didn't blow it.... whooo hooooooo! ! !

1. I agree

2. I disagree. His long balls are average. He's not bad, he's not good. Our recievers have problems adjusting and do drop nearly as many good catches as they are Jay's fault.

3. More the O-line's fault then Rickys. That touchdown was some Barry Sanders magic there.

4. Madison is back.

5. I think so. His playmaker ability outweighs Thompson's so called reliability. I'd love to have Oronde back.

6. I agree

7. I think Zgonina did a pretty damn good job.

8. Half agree. Good sometimes, bad sometimes.

9. Yeah, JT needs to step it the hell up.

10. Definately. Throw Chambers in there, too. He's going back to the bad Chambers, it seems.

Yes the offensive line was suspect today, but McMichael didn't earn his money catching or blocking today. He made up for it on the scoreboard though. Jay was 50-50 today on deep throws, or about as good as McNabb on a good day (which is what Rush Dumbaugh was criticising)

Madison gambling is a whole different thing than TBuck gambling. Madison is a playmaker.

McKnight should start playing and stop dropping passes. He has definitely been more effective than DT

With Bowens in we would have seen more pass pressure too. I haven't seen JT shut down one-on-one like this since his rookie year.

Overall the O is still out of synch and that will come back to bite us if we don't fix it.

Ogun had three sacks and Taylor had one which was a forced fumble. That is not bad. Add that to 3 Int and we had a great day.

Dude Jason Taylor had a sack, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, and he was the one that hit Leftwich's arm which created the Zgonina interception!

And before today he'd been getting plenty of QB hurries and pressures, and even better he's had like 6 holding penalties called in his favor because he's abusing offensive tackles, not to mention when how many false starts the tackle opposite him has had after he gets in their head...and even one or two hands to the face penalties to boot.

Jason Taylor is pretty much every bit as good as he was last year. Ogunleye is even better than he was last year. We harried Leftwich into 3 picks and a fumble. I think we're doing ok in that department.

The interception numbers speak for themselves. Quarterbacks just are NOT getting the time they need against our passrush.

And yes the interior of the OL needs a shake-up, but don't harrass the coaches about it yet. They tried Seth McKinney to infuse some enthusiasm in there but it didn't work, Ruddy has earned the right to start over Seth for the rest of the year. But contrary to what seems alarmingly to be the popular opinion, Todd Perry isn't blocking his way out of a paper bag this season and Jamie Nails not only isn't the same run blocker he was last year, he's playing turnstyle on pass defense.

Eventually we just might have to toss Dixon in at LG and McKinney in at RG just to see what happens.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

The interception numbers speak for themselves. Quarterbacks just are NOT getting the time they need against our passrush.

Can't really say I agree with you here. We had some plays, but the consistency in the pass rush just was not there. Taylor was run around the QB repeatedly. I thought he made some plays, but it looked like 75 percent of the time the Leftwitch had plenty of time to find his guys.

BTW, Leftwitch is terrific and will be a star in this league. Nice nice draft pick for the Jags.

Jason Taylor had 7 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, a pass defended I believe, and some more hurries (entered the game with 13). He played well.

I think one difference is that teams are taking away his inside move with the double. Even when it looks like he's 1-on-1, the guard is usually down there just in case. So he goes outside.

The main difference is that we're not seeing JT totally whip a guy off the ball, for whatever reason.

Originally posted by Muck
Jason Taylor had 7 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, a pass defended I believe, and some more hurries (entered the game with 13). He played well.

I think one difference is that teams are taking away his inside move with the double. Even when it looks like he's 1-on-1, the guard is usually down there just in case. So he goes outside.

The main difference is that we're not seeing JT totally whip a guy off the ball, for whatever reason.

That's probably fair. If we were comparing JT to the average DE, then he is having a good year. We compare him to the standard he set last year. It's probably unfair. In fact, I know its unfair. He also makes plays that don't show up in the stats. But, we are used to him blowing by the guy and making that huge play.

BTW, did you see the goal line tackle by Rob Burnett. That was awesome.

Jason Taylor had a monster day, in fact I would put it into manster category. Half Man, Half Monster...hence a Manster. He is definately being keyed in on, on the defensive side of the ball. Fortunately for us, Wally is starting to make the other team pay for ignoring him. When Bowens is back in the lineup (hopefully next week), we should have outstanding line play against the Patsies.

Actually I think one thing that helped our passrush today was Zgonina getting more time in the game.

I love Tim Bowens, trust me I do. But we did well on Fred Taylor even without Bowens and Seau today, and you really can't underestimate how much easier it is for the DEs to get sacks when they've got the benefit of a little pressure up the middle. Michael Strahan just never is the same without Keith Hamilton in the game. And Warren Sapp and Booger McFarland help make Simeon Rice, and make Greg Spires look like a legitimate starter.

Booger McFarland... there is a name only a mother could love.

TimBo is completely underrated by most. Zgonina is great and an excellent pickup in the offseason (has better hands than mcKnight at this point). However, TimBo gobbles up defenders and frees up Zach Thomas, who, was seemingly non existant today. Seau and Bowens bring so much to the defense. I think they proved to themselves that they are talanted moreso than even I thougt (seeing how two starters were out). However, I cannot wait until Bowens and Seau are back in uniform wreaking havoc.

Back
Top Bottom