After further review... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After further review...

Good take.

Let me play devils advocate as relates to the vet players.

Is there any substitute or better way to learn than to be on the field playing? When you have young guys that you want to develop, starting veteran guys in front of them thinking that they can learn from the vet guys is risky. There's no guarantee that the vet guys will be willing to work or train the young guys to take their jobs, so it becomes a "Figure it out on your own rook" type of situation. As a coaching staff.... the best way to accelerate that development is to throw them out there and have them sink or swim. If they sink.... at the very least you know that you need to readdress the position. If they swim.... then GREAT. The problem is that most fans don't have the patience to endure the learning process waiting for the young guys to become good.

There are vets who have no interest in helping youngsters (e.g., Brady) and there are vets brought specifically because they WILL help youngsters and are good teachers. Vets can teach in practice. Vets can teach from the sidelines. Vets can teach in the film room. Just need the right vets.I've wondered if the reason any of the vets were cut was their inability to teach - some certainly weren't signed to start.
You are right, playing a sport is critical to learning. Fans need to accept the learning mistakes. But there's a reason HCs like vets in every position group.

Yeah, the Fluker signing was more of getting a vet back-up for swing tackle (which would be nice to have at this point) and not bringing in a in-their-prime vet as a starter.
I was pounding the table for a vet starter or 2. You just can have a unit full of rookies and 2nd yr guys. It’s disaster waiting to happen and it happened

I've always been a fan of paying for Oline and Dline and drafting skill positions.

Interesting. I am no expert, but the nice thing about this idea is there is NFL tape on prospective players. You can see if they can cut it in the NFL or not. However, I have heard that not all players do as well with their new team as they did with their old team. Another thing is almost always, teams will have to overpay unless the player is in the twilight of their career or have injury concerns. Teams with studs at OL generally don't want them to hit FA.
A mix of experienced, proven veterans and draft picks probably is a way to keep the costs reasonable. I would say drafting well would help, but... LOL!

What's pitiful is that you probably believe that - LOL
What’s pitiful is you believe in Grier and every other below average Gm the dolphins have had for the past 20 years. I’m pretty sure that you were that guy saying Dallas Thomas could play and needed more time.

What’s pitiful is you believe in Grier and every other below average Gm the dolphins have had for the past 20 years. I’m pretty sure that you were that guy saying Dallas Thomas could play and needed more time.
In keeping with the rest of your posts you make assumptions that are wrong, or sometimes just beyond belief.

I haven't been a Dolphins fan long enough to remember much about Dallas Thomas - I think he left the team around 2016.

I don't know enough about other GM's to make a case for or against Grier based on their abilities. Neither do you!

I have followed Grier since I became a Dolphins fan and watched him struggle a bit at first, which I attribute to Tannenbaum.

I have watched him "blossom" once he was made GM and Tanenbaum was no longer on the team. What Grier did to enlarge our drafts was spectacular. While he is responsible in the end for our draft selections, he would be an idiot not to accept input from the HC. Those two need to work together as a team. If Flores has faults that are detrimental to the team guess who will be the one to fire him - LOL

Oh right. Prior to the draft. I mean, it was all smokescreen stuff back then, so who knows what was true.
I don’t doubt it…Marino spent a lot of time with him at the Senior bowl and there was supposedly a recent leak saying the same thing.

It’s also leaked Flores preferred Herbert.

Tannenbaum also strongly advised Herbert over Tua!…as did BlueFin! 😉

I don’t doubt it…Marino spent a lot of time with him at the Senior bowl and there was supposedly a recent leak saying the same thing.

Yea... then Hed be deadmeat with our OL. Hes lucky he went to LA.

Im rambling the **** out of this post so if you dont have a couple of minutes to read it once, and then another couple of times just to get what it actually means, just move on.

Let me start off by saying there's not one single move this FO made in the last 2 years that was a **** move(questionable at worst) when looked at individually.. These moves when looked at individually were all legit, its when you look at the overall strategy that things start to look... Inadequate for a lack of a better word. I'll just keep this one on the offense because quite frankly, this D has warts but its good enough to win games in the NFL provided you field a top 10 offense, which is what you should always be striving for.

Picking Jackson at #18 is not a problem, picking Eich at #42 is not a problem, picking hunt at #39 is not a problem, picking Kindley at #111 is definitely not a problem. Picking Tua over Herbert at #5 was definitely not a problem. I mean sure hindsight captains will tell you all along Herbert was definitely the guy, but thats a very small amount of people and even then half of them hated Tua more than they liked Herbert.

So whats the problem? If all these moves were correct, how the **** does this offense suck so bad?

We often come across guys who's whole argument centers around "These guys are pros and you're sitting on your couch, I'll trust the pros to do their jobs". This is basically correct, you're not getting resistance from me on that one. Grier is absolutely better at evaluation footaball players than we are, Flores is obviously a better football coach than anyone here(hopefully) and basically everyone on the Fins coaching staff most probably know WTF they're doing.

That being said, having a bunch of competent people doesnt automatically bring success. You absolutely need someone to coordinate all these guys, formulate an overall strategy that makes sense and make sure everyone knows their role and execute it at a high level. This is where the Fins literally suck on offense. There is absolutely nothing that makes sense on the way this offense is built and run. They are actually doing worst than a coinflip.

There's nothing to evaluate on offense right now because the OL is incapable of giving even below average time for plays to develop.

Quick view of the OL: 2nd year, 2nd year, 3rd year(IR), 2nd year, Davis(who got the QB smashed in 1.9 seconds, and who's backup is, you guessed it, a rookie)
Quick view of the OL coach: 1st year(was playing in the NFL just 5 years ago)
Quick view of the QB: 2nd year(IR)

No one, not one player was put in position to succeed. Every single one of these players were put in a group that was just as clueless as they are. I'd bet a huge amount that any single one of these players would've performed a decent amount better if they were put next to a vet, or at the very least coached by someone who knows what the **** they're doing. I bet Jackson would've been alot better if he came into a situation where there were 3-4 vets on the OL, and I bet that statement is true for anyone of the green OL.

I also bet Tua would've looked alot better if he didnt play behind a group of OL that are all lost and the only one to look up to is someone who is also lost. Picks and money is great, but if all your picks go into the same unit or function, its a problem. All these coaches and management guys are probably good at what they do, but someone needs to oversee the overall strategy because right now, everyone seems to do as they please and the final product is alot of **** that dont make sense.

/rant

I don't think its the players assembled that was an issue, but more to do with how we develop them. Our history for developing quarterbacks for example is horrible. We never talk much about our team's ability to develop players.

Leaks.. Now don't hold much weight with me. I just feel, the flores one in particular... When things start going wrong, leaks conveniently start to happen.

I’m not sure…have they both had injuries 4 years in a row?

Yea youre correct dude... but it goes to show even the non "injury prone" can get injured, or even become injury prone. I guess some dont get the picture

Back
Top Bottom