After further review... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After further review...

Im rambling the **** out of this post so if you dont have a couple of minutes to read it once, and then another couple of times just to get what it actually means, just move on.

Let me start off by saying there's not one single move this FO made in the last 2 years that was a **** move(questionable at worst) when looked at individually.. These moves when looked at individually were all legit, its when you look at the overall strategy that things start to look... Inadequate for a lack of a better word. I'll just keep this one on the offense because quite frankly, this D has warts but its good enough to win games in the NFL provided you field a top 10 offense, which is what you should always be striving for.

Picking Jackson at #18 is not a problem, picking Eich at #42 is not a problem, picking hunt at #39 is not a problem, picking Kindley at #111 is definitely not a problem. Picking Tua over Herbert at #5 was definitely not a problem. I mean sure hindsight captains will tell you all along Herbert was definitely the guy, but thats a very small amount of people and even then half of them hated Tua more than they liked Herbert.

So whats the problem? If all these moves were correct, how the **** does this offense suck so bad?

We often come across guys who's whole argument centers around "These guys are pros and you're sitting on your couch, I'll trust the pros to do their jobs". This is basically correct, you're not getting resistance from me on that one. Grier is absolutely better at evaluation footaball players than we are, Flores is obviously a better football coach than anyone here(hopefully) and basically everyone on the Fins coaching staff most probably know WTF they're doing.

That being said, having a bunch of competent people doesnt automatically bring success. You absolutely need someone to coordinate all these guys, formulate an overall strategy that makes sense and make sure everyone knows their role and execute it at a high level. This is where the Fins literally suck on offense. There is absolutely nothing that makes sense on the way this offense is built and run. They are actually doing worst than a coinflip.

There's nothing to evaluate on offense right now because the OL is incapable of giving even below average time for plays to develop.

Quick view of the OL: 2nd year, 2nd year, 3rd year(IR), 2nd year, Davis(who got the QB smashed in 1.9 seconds, and who's backup is, you guessed it, a rookie)
Quick view of the OL coach: 1st year(was playing in the NFL just 5 years ago)
Quick view of the QB: 2nd year(IR)

No one, not one player was put in position to succeed. Every single one of these players were put in a group that was just as clueless as they are. I'd bet a huge amount that any single one of these players would've performed a decent amount better if they were put next to a vet, or at the very least coached by someone who knows what the **** they're doing. I bet Jackson would've been alot better if he came into a situation where there were 3-4 vets on the OL, and I bet that statement is true for anyone of the green OL.

I also bet Tua would've looked alot better if he didnt play behind a group of OL that are all lost and the only one to look up to is someone who is also lost. Picks and money is great, but if all your picks go into the same unit or function, its a problem. All these coaches and management guys are probably good at what they do, but someone needs to oversee the overall strategy because right now, everyone seems to do as they please and the final product is alot of **** that dont make sense.

/rant
Every one of us is entitled to a rant. All of us have been wrong. No harm in venting to and with the community. You're good bro. Everything is OK. We're always happy to hear your opinions, regardless of whether we agree with them or not. :)

Minor nitpicks .... or maybe my own individual rants ....

Some of us who stated our preference for Herbert early and often took a LOT of negative comments and insulting comments and suggestions that opinions were not even based on football acumen. IMHO, that wasn't fair, and we were proven right .... this time. Reasonable minds may differ, but come on guys, let's not trash people with differing opinions.

One thing I think is very strong about Chris Grier is that he did indeed completely support Tua. He spent a LOT of FA money and a LOT of draft resources in an attempt to obtain and build an OL that suited Tua ... something never availed to Tannehill, despite years upon years of our requesting the FO do that. Tannehill was hung out to dry .... Tua was correctly built-around with an unbelievable amount of resources. We tried to draft OL who could also produce a strong running game to complement him .... and we drafted and/or FA'd every single position with high resources ..... and we built depth. Tua's story is still being written, as are the stories of our OL ... but just becuase it's not working now doesn't mean the GM didn't support him and build around him. Then, we spent our super-high draft pick on his favorite target .... who was worth the pick independent of Tua, but this was a hand-in-glove type of draft pick .... tailor made for Tua. We brought in his QB whisperer .... and our dual-OC's (disaster decision by Coach Flo, but not a GM Grier call) and that's the sort of thing half the QB's in the NFL are clammoring to get. Tua has been and is fully supported. That's a big credit to Grier for trying to build things the right way. If only we had done that for Tannehill, we might have been happy about our QB situation.

Lots of players have been put in a position to succeed ... but that's not a guarantee and the most important part of a head coach is who can he attract as a staff. When you get a competent OL coach who turns your guys into above-average line .... you need to recognize that and not fire him. Good coaches aren't interested in a rebuild with a head coach who fires everyone every year. This needs to turn around or Coach Flo is going to start sliding down the hill in his ability to attract coaches. And, he needs to turn it around with THESE COACHES and THESE PLAYERS. So, let's support our team, and try to help them feel that support so they can become the players their potential suggests they can become. The talent level at every NFL team is high .... the potential to turn it around is definitely there. This time last year we weren't so great either .... but we kicked it into gear.

Fins up!

We're overthinking it. Grier's been bad at his job for 20 years. We're not all crazy, there isn't a constant, swirling mess of complications, there's no magic bullet.

Grier just sucks at his job and Steve Ross can't figure it out.
Ross has always promoted the next smartest idiot in the room.

I'll just tackle the Herbert versus Tua debate that has gained steam here, as well as with the media.

I bet if you surveyed GM'S going into that draft, most would have taken Tua. Besides the injury, albeit a legitimate concern, there really wasn't another negative associated with Tua. Accurate, check. Leadership, check. Coming up big in crucial moments, check.

Herbert had the edge in arm strength, size and physicality. Questions loomed on accuracy and leadership.

Certainly Herbert went into a better situation and has been the better player one year and four games into his career.

I liked Herbert, but preferred Tua. Wanted Jefferson over Jackson, though.

I'll let others tackle the coaching issue and lack of veteran talent on the offensive side. All good points by the OP.
It wasn’t just the hip situation, it was the series of injuries his final two years at Alabama as well that raised red flags for many!

I don’t have a head count of where other GM’s stood and won’t pretend to know, but…..there was much debate at the time amongst NFL people now in the media about the merits of both. Including many who favored Herbert over the smallish, less athletic Tua….with injury prone concerns. We also now have the tidbit of info that within the organization Marino had favored Herbert and that Grier overrode that advice.

So I can’t give Grier a pass on the situation when evaluating my opinion of his performance.

I know personally, it was all of the above plus watching Tua fall short in big games against Clemson and LSU those final two years, strange turnovers by him at big moments in those games that made my mind up!

I personally put less stock in the freshman year coming off the bench win over Georgia than the above.

I don’t personally think most considered The Chargers a better landing spot than Miami prior to the 2020 draft.

I would argue the failure of Grier and Flores and Tua’s continued injury prone streak, coupled with the excellent play of Herbert, have created that perception.

Every one of us is entitled to a rant. All of us have been wrong. No harm in venting to and with the community. You're good bro. Everything is OK. We're always happy to hear your opinions, regardless of whether we agree with them or not. :)

Some of us who stated our preference for Herbert early and often took a LOT of negative comments and insulting comments and suggestions that opinions were not even based on football acumen. IMHO, that wasn't fair, and we were proven right .... this time. Reasonable minds may differ, but come on guys, let's not trash people with differing opinions.

One thing I think is very strong about Chris Grier is that he did indeed completely support Tua. He spent a LOT of FA money and a LOT of draft resources in an attempt to obtain and build an OL that suited Tua ... something never availed to Tannehill, despite years upon years of our requesting the FO do that. Tannehill was hung out to dry .... Tua was correctly built-around with an unbelievable amount of resources. We tried to draft OL who could also produce a strong running game to complement him .... and we drafted and/or FA'd every single position with high resources ..... and we built depth. Tua's story is still being written, as are the stories of our OL ... but just becuase it's not working now doesn't mean the GM didn't support him and build around him. Then, we spent our super-high draft pick on his favorite target .... who was worth the pick independent of Tua, but this was a hand-in-glove type of draft pick .... tailor made for Tua. We brought in his QB whisperer .... and our dual-OC's (disaster decision by Coach Flo, but not a GM Grier call) and that's the sort of thing half the QB's in the NFL are clammoring to get. Tua has been and is fully supported. That's a big credit to Grier for trying to build things the right way. If only we had done that for Tannehill, we might have been happy about our QB situation.

Lots of players have been put in a position to succeed ... but that's not a guarantee and the most important part of a head coach is who can he attract as a staff. When you get a competent OL coach who turns your guys into above-average line .... you need to recognize that and not fire him. Good coaches aren't interested in a rebuild with a head coach who fires everyone every year. This needs to turn around or Coach Flo is going to start sliding down the hill in his ability to attract coaches. And, he needs to turn it around with THESE COACHES and THESE PLAYERS. So, let's support our team, and try to help them feel that support so they can become the players their potential suggests they can become. The talent level at every NFL team is high .... the potential to turn it around is definitely there. This time last year we weren't so great either .... but we kicked it into gear.

Fins up!
What good is it so spend all those picks on the line if the players aren’t good? Did Grier try to help Tua? Sure. But he didn’t ultimately help him by putting a strong line in front of him? Absolutely not

Fins up!
Good post…I would argue that Grier certainly drafted support for Tua, but the decisions were far from great!

I also think some veteran O-line help mixed with the youth would have been better than what Grier chose to do!

I think Flores has already damaged his own reputation regarding attracting assistants!

I said a few years ago, that when Grier was the college scout, and we had crappy draft year after year, his evaluations on players had to have some impact on who was being selected.

Move forward X amount of years, and here he is, the GM of the franchise, and he who has, we think, the final say on selections. He at this point has missed a fair bit, but that can come down to coaching more than players ability IMO. Some players just flat out are not NFL caliber players, but not every college player is.

Now I am not a Grier homer, and will give credit where it is due. Grier is very very good at trades, accumulating draft picks for players and vice versa, but his evaluation on players so far as as the GM have mirrored his evaluation when he was in charge of scouting. At some stage, and it appears its happening about now, the mud will stick, and he may be on the hot seat.

If he goes, then so be it. I'd like him to stay and be in charge of trades etc, but not in charge of drafting processes.

I wonder if anyone pulls Ross aside - even if it's Marino and let him know Grier's been stealing his money because there's no way you could **** the bed across the board with all the draft picks we got.

Good players make any coach look good. The fact that Flores has been p*ssing in the wind with OCs since he got here negates any defensive "genius" he has. Run em both out of here.
Im going to email Marino to pull Ross aside.

Im rambling the **** out of this post so if you dont have a couple of minutes to read it once, and then another couple of times just to get what it actually means, just move on.

Let me start off by saying there's not one single move this FO made in the last 2 years that was a **** move(questionable at worst) when looked at individually.. These moves when looked at individually were all legit, its when you look at the overall strategy that things start to look... Inadequate for a lack of a better word. I'll just keep this one on the offense because quite frankly, this D has warts but its good enough to win games in the NFL provided you field a top 10 offense, which is what you should always be striving for.

Picking Jackson at #18 is not a problem, picking Eich at #42 is not a problem, picking hunt at #39 is not a problem, picking Kindley at #111 is definitely not a problem. Picking Tua over Herbert at #5 was definitely not a problem. I mean sure hindsight captains will tell you all along Herbert was definitely the guy, but thats a very small amount of people and even then half of them hated Tua more than they liked Herbert.

So whats the problem? If all these moves were correct, how the **** does this offense suck so bad?

We often come across guys who's whole argument centers around "These guys are pros and you're sitting on your couch, I'll trust the pros to do their jobs". This is basically correct, you're not getting resistance from me on that one. Grier is absolutely better at evaluation footaball players than we are, Flores is obviously a better football coach than anyone here(hopefully) and basically everyone on the Fins coaching staff most probably know WTF they're doing.

That being said, having a bunch of competent people doesnt automatically bring success. You absolutely need someone to coordinate all these guys, formulate an overall strategy that makes sense and make sure everyone knows their role and execute it at a high level. This is where the Fins literally suck on offense. There is absolutely nothing that makes sense on the way this offense is built and run. They are actually doing worst than a coinflip.

There's nothing to evaluate on offense right now because the OL is incapable of giving even below average time for plays to develop.

Quick view of the OL: 2nd year, 2nd year, 3rd year(IR), 2nd year, Davis(who got the QB smashed in 1.9 seconds, and who's backup is, you guessed it, a rookie)

No one, not one player was put in position to succeed. Every single one of these players were put in a group that was just as clueless as they are. I'd bet a huge amount that any single one of these players would've performed a decent amount better if they were put next to a vet, or at the very least coached by someone who knows what the **** they're doing. I bet Jackson would've been alot better if he came into a situation where there were 3-4 vets on the OL, and I bet that statement is true for anyone of the green OL.

I also bet Tua would've looked alot better if he didnt play behind a group of OL that are all lost and the only one to look up to is someone who is also lost. Picks and money is great, but if all your picks go into the same unit or function, its a problem. All these coaches and management guys are probably good at what they do, but someone needs to oversee the overall strategy because right now, everyone seems to do as they please and the final product is alot of **** that dont make sense.

/rant

I've watched ... I've read posts and rants ... I've been a fan for 50 yrs. ... not that it makes any difference to anyone here... this "regime" had a plan and now we are seeing the fruits of their labor ... I (we) have no idea if Tua will get it together here or elsewhere or at all but whoever made the decision to draft him made a mistake (given what we have seen) so far and needs to be removed from the decision making process. No, I am not anti-Tua but I am pro-Dolphins and this team isn't good,,, and it's sad given the time and resources we had .... in retrospect the staff we have was not ready/prepared/able to bring in a Qb that is under-sized (IMO) and injured into a position that is arguably the most important in football unless you have a Qb he can sit behind until NFL ready. We needed a Qb who could start day one under the plan we have seen unfold. No guarantees, I get it... but the odds of success seem a bit better if he is struggling to come up to speed while you have a guy rather than struggling to start when you aren't ready mentally or physically ...

I will NEVER "give up" but the time to throw in the towel isn't far away unless this team miraculously morphs into ... well... a team. Sure play calling, dual coordinators in-game adjustments are all key to success but so is execution. We all see every week teams that aren't elite play, at least, at an NFL level look to them ... we see not really great Qb's make chicken soup out of chkn sht weekly ... we aren't even THERE yet. We have the talent but just can't put it together.

Like many have pointed out I want to see experience in our coaching staff ... people who can take the talent we have and get the most out of them. Something revered like Bum Phillips said about Shula. Yes that was a long time ago blah blah blah ... as much as the league has changed it would be refreshing as a Dolphin fan to see a dominant run game to help keep our defense a bit fresher ... to maybe take 1/2 second off the pass rush .... to possibly allowing our Qb to be more creative when given time and offensive rhythm ...

I've posted I wanted to see the team after 4-5 games and then decide if we are picking up from last season and moving forward ... We didn't (haven't) we aren't. This is strictly on the coaches and (possibly) the GM and owner. I say that because IF this was their plan and IF this is what we get from it .... heads need to roll sooner than later ... turnover and consistency be damned.

I will hang up now and take your comments off air LOL :munch::cheers:

I'm still not convinced it's more of a coaching issue on the offensive side. Although, I think Grier could have done better with some picks as well.

As to Jackson, I think the consensus was 1st round, although I think Miami reached a little for him. I really wanted Jefferson there.

In fact, is there a Dolphin Fan who wouldn't trade Jackson and Iggy for Jefferson and Taylor?
Me. I would never draft a running back in the first round. I'm sorry, the position just doesn't carry that type of value anymore. It's easy to sit here and say Taylor is a better player than Igbinoghene in hindsight, but conerback is a much higher value position and Howard was coming off an injury and wasn't playing at the level he is now so corner was a need regardless of what most of the idiots on this site think. It's the one thing I believe this front office has gotten right. They haven't overvalued the running back position. They were way too early in the total rebuild process to ever consider a running back in the first round. It would be like putting a silk hat on a pig. I do agree though, that the second round of that year's draft would have been the sweet spot to have drafted a running back. Jonathan Taylor, Cam Akers, and JK Dobbins all went after Miami took Robert Hunt, but even pointing this out kind of makes my point. Akers and Dobbins both went down for the whole season before week one even started.

/rant
Sounds like a job for a head coach. No wait…

I said a few years ago, that when Grier was the college scout, and we had crappy draft year after year, his evaluations on players had to have some impact on who was being selected.

Move forward X amount of years, and here he is, the GM of the franchise, and he who has, we think, the final say on selections. He at this point has missed a fair bit, but that can come down to coaching more than players ability IMO. Some players just flat out are not NFL caliber players, but not every college player is.

Now I am not a Grier homer, and will give credit where it is due. Grier is very very good at trades, accumulating draft picks for players and vice versa, but his evaluation on players so far as as the GM have mirrored his evaluation when he was in charge of scouting. At some stage, and it appears its happening about now, the mud will stick, and he may be on the hot seat.

If he goes, then so be it. I'd like him to stay and be in charge of trades etc, but not in charge of drafting processes.
When they make the change, he needs to be gone. He has also been mediocre in free agency, which is not good enough!

Great discussion! Thanks to everyone for some excellent input. No doubt it isn't straightforward. There are a lot of moving pieces. I would say it all boils down to a phrase I have in my signature, " Don't skip steps." and it all starts with Grier. If we look around, we see it everywhere. Throwing gobs of money and resources at problems doesn't mean that we will fix them. As an organization, when it comes to personnel, the Dolphins aren't very efficient. It's not often that we get a good return on our investment. I think Grier's scattershot plan to rebuild the team was flawed as well as his patchwork talent evaluation. Drafting a guy, and checking the box, to say we addressed a need hasn't worked for us. Grier wants to run, and our guys haven't even learned to walk.

/rant

This post is a gem.

It addresses what the actions we've taken and accurately describes them without the "rancor" from fans who didn't get their favorite pick.

What's the real problem?

The problem is in the lack of coordination of all these actions.

To me, this is a flag concerning our HC. I'm beginning to see there is much more to being a HC then game day activity. It's the planning and execution of the co-ordination of player selection, player training and in the end, good game planning. It is now clear to me that good OC's and good DC's are not a guarantee to being a good HC.

Possibly we should be examining what made some of the great coaches great!

Back
Top Bottom