After The QB...... Who To Look For? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After The QB...... Who To Look For?

I'd grab an offensive lineman and maybe one of the top relievers like Ruggs lll. Give the quarterback protection and a big-play weapon.

For me right now...and it can change is DE and C. DE is obvi. If we add an elite to our front 7 things are going to get real exciting. Now C I might be stepping out on an island. And here is my reason. Pats never really focused on OT. Their offense runs inside out. Brady has said the most important position on O is his center. I was Humphreys or baidasz with our 3rd first so he develops from day 1 with our new QB.

I seldom disagree with you but I couldn't disagree more here, especially with cornerback. That is a bust position. First round players are incredibly overvalued. I mentioned that a month or two ago, after some related research by a very sharp analytics-based draft guy at Footballsfuture.com. He has exchanged private messages with me, many of them devoted to this topic. He couldn't believe the awful return on investment for first round cornerbacks in recent years, especially since it is seldom if ever mentioned. It's like fans and analysts don't want to believe that position has performed so brutally, in an increasingly passing league.

Since I made that post, you can add Conley and Hargreaves to the list.

Offensive tackle is less objectionable. They tend to pan out. Overall I prefer offensive line later. I don't want to spend first round picks on athletes of that caliber. No reason to overreact to Miami's inability to identify offensive linemen in recent years. The gaps team to team are not nearly as dramatic as conventional wisdom allows. Watch Miami/Colts last week as a novice and you'd never know one team's offensive line was highly touted and the other supposedly a disaster.

New England's offensive line approach has been proper.

It's a good point. I need to look into it, but my immediate reaction is that a lot of the busts were not athletes similar to Ramsey, Jones, Lattimore, Humphrey, Alexander, etc..

Outside of OL, though, and seeing the prospects available, I don't know which other position Miami would target. I could see WR, but I think the hit rate is comparable to or worse than CB.

It's a good point. I need to look into it, but my immediate reaction is that a lot of the busts were not athletes similar to Ramsey, Jones, Lattimore, Humphrey, Alexander, etc..

Outside of OL, though, and seeing the prospects available, I don't know which other position Miami would target. I could see WR, but I think the hit rate is comparable to or worse than CB.

I agree with both of you to a certain degree, but I tend to lean more your way - as does the NFL.

The NFL doesn't draft players high based on ROI or bust ratio - they draft players high based on how valuable the position is. DB's are needed and valuable. You can't have enough.

Secondly, although I do agree with Awsi to an extent on using 1st round draft picks on athletes the caliber of offensive lineman - the best athletes on the field are the cornerbacks, so it doesn't make sense to argue against that too. I mean you can find an argument to not spend 1st round picks on anything, especially the most valuable positions. That's why they're valuable in the first place.

But this all depends on (as the OP says), What no our pick is in the first round. If Tua and Burrow are gone will the fins go for any of the other available QBs with their first pick?

Let’s face it we will win more games I mean Cincy will throw that game for a start.... And there are some other teams who are seriously flagging as the season progresses and reaches the final third.

ALso this becomes a moot or a very different conversation point anyway if the FO decides to give our picks away for Tua or Burrow we will really need our FO to be astute and find some gems in the later rounds with the remaining picks (how likely is that?) If by the end of the season we’re sitting fifth or sixth FA may have a massive role here.

I see a lot of athletes that are better than the tape in this cb class.

makes me leary. But then again I’ve seen some guys with really good college tape not pan out too.

I see a lot of athletes that are better than the tape in this cb class.

makes me leary. But then again I’ve seen some guys with really good college tape not pan out too.

Cornerback is usually the one position where upside tends to overtake the tape. As I've said for years with CB's - you can throw the tape out the window.

Tall, long arms, and recovery speed tend to work out in the pros more often than good tape. It's why I have Diggs as my top Senior CB despite the tackling flaws. He can only get better, he can't get any worse.

Marlon Humphrey stayed burnt at Alabama more than any other CB we've had in the last 10 years. But he's turned out to be the best pro. However, he was also one of the most physical. He didn't have the tackling flaws that Diggs has. But Marlon was a CB in high school here at Hoover also - Diggs is a converted WR that still has plenty of upside. Furthermore, he's lost a year of development due to missing most of the season last year with the foot injury.

I mean nobody had better tape coming out than Vernon Hargreaves. Just doesn't have the length or speed or desire to be a great pro.

Humphrey has turned into a stud. He’s an enforcer at the position. That was one ugly diggs tape vs LSU.

I seldom disagree with you but I couldn't disagree more here, especially with cornerback. That is a bust position. First round players are incredibly overvalued. I mentioned that a month or two ago, after some related research by a very sharp analytics-based draft guy at Footballsfuture.com. He has exchanged private messages with me, many of them devoted to this topic. He couldn't believe the awful return on investment for first round cornerbacks in recent years, especially since it is seldom if ever mentioned. It's like fans and analysts don't want to believe that position has performed so brutally, in an increasingly passing league.

Since I made that post, you can add Conley and Hargreaves to the list.

Offensive tackle is less objectionable. They tend to pan out. Overall I prefer offensive line later. I don't want to spend first round picks on athletes of that caliber. No reason to overreact to Miami's inability to identify offensive linemen in recent years. The gaps team to team are not nearly as dramatic as conventional wisdom allows. Watch Miami/Colts last week as a novice and you'd never know one team's offensive line was highly touted and the other supposedly a disaster.

New England's offensive line approach has been proper.
What positions would make sense to you in the 1st round with our 3 picks?

Humphrey has turned into a stud. He’s an enforcer at the position. That was one ugly diggs tape vs LSU.

Awful. Tackling was bad for basically everybody. Somebody on staff isn't teaching tackling back there. You don't go for the strip at the 5 yard line rather than securing the tackle.

Tackling in football is bad, which I noted in my very first post in the Stock up - Stock down thread. The "thud" method that everybody is using now instead of tackling to the ground has caused tackling to go the way of the dodo.

One of the oddest things that I read in these forums is when guys say things like... I wouldn't take another fat guy in the draft, linemen aren't athletic. I want to draft athletes!

I always want to reply... fine, then draft 5 super studs who played safety and install them as your line...

Get back to me and tell me how that works out.

I would think the coaches want to add more pass rushing. Vince Biegel has legit been consistent at getting pressure, but the rest have been inconsistent so getting someone who can add consistency will help.

I also get the impression the team wants to get an extended look at Davenport to see if his physical potential can be met here.

Back
Top Bottom