Agassi extends career with comeback win | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Agassi extends career with comeback win

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score

Andre Agassi serves to Andrei Pavel during their first-round U.S. Open match on Monday in New York. Agassi rallied to win after losing the first set.

If Andre Agassi keeps this up, it’s going to be absolutely exhausting. For him, for his opponent, for his fans, for everyone at the U.S. Open.

Knowing each time he steps on the court could be his last time as a pro, Agassi clearly does not want to go gently, and he kept overcoming deficits Monday night, pushing his 36-year-old body around Arthur Ashe Stadium for 3½ hours.

Eventually, Agassi managed to win the first match of his final tournament, coming back to beat Andrei Pavel of Romania 6-7 (4), 7-6 (8), 7-6 (6), 6-2 before an Open-record night session crowd of 23,736.

Agassi’s eyes welled up with tears as he served out the final point.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14558777/

Agassi has always been my favorite tennis player. You never seem him trying to show anyone up. He also is a great person off the court and he and Steffi do great things for charities. I know their kids are going to be great tennis players. I hope Andre has a great US Open. :tongue:

He WON AGAIN! WHAT A MATCH!

Agassi gets extra day of rest thanks to rain

Andre Agassi received another anti-inflammatory injection Saturday and got an extra day to rest before playing in the third round of the U.S. Open, his match postponed because of intermittent rain.

“I’ll be all right. I don’t need sympathy. I’ll be OK,†Agassi said with a smile as he walked toward an exit, his racket bag slung over a shoulder.

With no competition on any court as of 4:30 p.m., Agassi’s match against German qualifier Benjamin Becker  slated to be third in Arthur Ashe Stadium on Saturday  was rescheduled for 11 a.m. Sunday.

Matches involving Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova also were pushed back to Sunday, though tournament organizers were still aiming to get some play in Saturday, even as the rain grew stronger.

The 36-year-old Agassi, playing in the final tournament of his career and fighting a bad back, has been on court for more than seven hours already, including his five-set thriller against eighth-seeded Marcos Baghdatis that began Thursday night and finished in the wee hours of Friday.

“I prefer not to have a drama-filled one tomorrow,†said Agassi, whose eight Grand Slam titles include two from the U.S. Open.

The benefit of having time to rest his bothersome back could also result in having to play on consecutive days down the line: If Agassi beats Becker on Sunday, he would be scheduled to play in the fourth round on Monday, possibly against 2003 U.S. Open champion Roddick.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14639762/from/RS.4/

Agassi and Rodick in the 4th round would be a special scene in Flushing. I hope it happens because I think the atmosphere in NY for that match would be electric!

Agassi's Father to Son: Retire Now

It's his last tournament on the international stage, and, for now his hopes for the championship title are still alive.

After 20 years at the top of world tennis, 36-year-old Andre Agassi is fighting his way through the early rounds of the US Open in his last bid for a Grand Slam win.

But his father, Mike Agassi, says he should stop right now.

"I hope [Thursday] night was his last match," Agassi told ABC News in an exclusive interview.

"If it's up to me, I won't let him go to play [Saturday]. He hasn't talked to me, [but] that's how I feel about it. I don't think he should play."

Agassi fears that his son will do long-lasting damage if he continues.

"His retirement is overdue," he said, "not because of age. He's been overdue because of illness. His back hurts."

Discussing Thursday night's classic five-set match against Cyprus' Marcos Baghdatis, he said, "I saw him. He's leaning on one side, [and] I knew that he's in pain."

"I saw he's not moving as good as he could," Mike Agassi said.

It's been alleged that the Agassi men have had a strained relationship because Mike Agassi pushed his son too hard from a tender age  a fact the father does not deny.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=2384386

It's a shame Sampras didn't get this type of send off. He was the greater player, and as a young man carried himself with more class and dignity than a young Agassi did.

phinman1 said:
It's a shame Sampras didn't get this type of send off. He was the greater player, and as a young man carried himself with more class and dignity than a young Agassi did.

Pete didn't get a send off because he just retired spontaniously, out of nowhere. Aggasi let everyone know that this was his last tournament so they rolled out the red carpet for him. Pete just decided that he had enough and retired, that is why he didn't get the same treatment as Agassi. I mean imagine if Pete let everyone know the year before he retired that it was going to be his last year. Wimbledon and the U.S. open would have given him the Presidential treatment, no doubt about it!

Thanks Andre for 21 years of bringing so much to Tennis! I was in tears watching him take his last bow. So was Becker.

Watching Andre's press conference live right now (espnews).This guy is a class act all the way.Best of luck with the rest of your lifes adventures Mr. Agassi.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Pete didn't get a send off because he just retired spontaniously, out of nowhere. Aggasi let everyone know that this was his last tournament so they rolled out the red carpet for him. Pete just decided that he had enough and retired, that is why he didn't get the same treatment as Agassi. I mean imagine if Pete let everyone know the year before he retired that it was going to be his last year. Wimbledon and the U.S. open would have given him the Presidential treatment, no doubt about it!

I see your point, however, Pete strongly hinted that U.S. Open would be his last. His retirement wasn't as spontaneous as you imply. The tennis public never really loved Pete.

clear.gif

One of my all-time favorites

Back
Top Bottom