Age, Salary Put Heat On Miami Dolphins’ Kiko Alonso In 2019 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Age, Salary Put Heat On Miami Dolphins’ Kiko Alonso In 2019

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
AR-190629097.jpg

Contract: Expires after 2020 season. Due to earn $8.2 million this season

Pro Football Focus rank: 82nd out of 92

“He’s another guy I played against or watched for a number of years,” Flores said. “This guy has been a productive player in this league for a long time. I think his leadership and style of play and the way he goes about it, from a work ethic standpoint, from a day-to-day training standpoint, and all of the things I hear, are positive.”

Many coaches pay little attention to Pro Football Focus’ grades. According to PFF, only three linebackers with enough playing time to qualify for overall grades had worse pass coverage than Alonso (41.9 rating). And it doesn’t make Flores’ job any easier that McMillan’s 42.0 coverage grade pushed him only one notch higher than Alonso.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...ut-heat-on-miami-dolphins-kiko-alonso-in-2019

at least McMillan is still learning ... maybe now he can get some good coaching! Lord knows he didn't get that from Burke ...

Alonso needs to go ... I just don't see how he fits into this regime's style of play ... he is just SO UNDISCIPLINED as a player, and his playmaking frequency does not offset his liability.

I do think our LBing core will be better this year than it has in several years .... like a decade ... even if you don't think they are the most talented - just being disciplined enough to do their job will be an improvement.

at least McMillan is still learning ... maybe now he can get some good coaching! Lord knows he didn't get that from Burke ...

Alonso needs to go ... I just don't see how he fits into this regime's style of play ... he is just SO UNDISCIPLINED as a player, and his playmaking frequency does not offset his liability.

I do think our LBing core will be better this year than it has in several years .... like a decade ... even if you don't think they are the most talented - just being disciplined enough to do their job will be an improvement.

I can agree with that

All said and Done..Now that Matt "What a Tool" Burke is gone I can see this defense getting much better all around. Even Kiko. With that said. I'm sure He'll be gone after this season and he can get a stupid penalty at the worst time on some other team.!!!

IMHO, you have to be careful about cutting a productive player with no definite replacement. Maybe with regime change (again) and the prospect of better prospects in the secondary, like 4 safeties 2 with some versatility, our LB coverage liabilities won't be so exposed.

Last edited:
Wait, what?!?

$8,200,000.00??????

Because, Miami. :bobdole:

Exactly. I hate that the Dolphins will have to keep him another year before they can cut him. I can't imagine any team trading for him, even if the Dolphins agreed to pay part of his salary this year. Another bad contract when Tannebaum was at the wheel.

Well I think everyone can agree that both Raekwon McMillan and Kiko Alonso are horrible in pass coverage. The hope is that this system helps them play to there strengths. For Kiko, he is our best takeaway producer at the LB spot that we've had in the last 30 years. If turnovers win games … he's extremely valuable as a guy who generates and converts takeaways. IMHO, that's by far the biggest impact a LB can have on a game, and one that Kiko's detractors always seem to conveniently ignore. As stats go, takeaways is one of the very most important ones. Talk about sacks, tackles for losses, number of tackles, etc., etc., etc., but one takeaway is worth 3 sacks. If your defense doesn't have people who can generate takeaways, then your defense is bad.

Eventually every player is replaced. Not sure when Kiko's time will come, but when it does, the team needs to have an answer for those takeaways. Because without them, our effectiveness goes down significantly.

AR-190629097.jpg

Contract: Expires after 2020 season. Due to earn $8.2 million this season

Pro Football Focus rank: 82nd out of 92

“He’s another guy I played against or watched for a number of years,” Flores said. “This guy has been a productive player in this league for a long time. I think his leadership and style of play and the way he goes about it, from a work ethic standpoint, from a day-to-day training standpoint, and all of the things I hear, are positive.”

Many coaches pay little attention to Pro Football Focus’ grades. According to PFF, only three linebackers with enough playing time to qualify for overall grades had worse pass coverage than Alonso (41.9 rating). And it doesn’t make Flores’ job any easier that McMillan’s 42.0 coverage grade pushed him only one notch higher than Alonso.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...ut-heat-on-miami-dolphins-kiko-alonso-in-2019

We all get Alonso..but McMillians is atrocious if he isn't running down hill against the run or something. The guys is scary slow, bad angles etc in coverage. I don't think i've ever seen a slower LB on our team at that position. The guy makes Dansby look like a 4.4 guy.

I get he was hurt and is still "recovering" but I've seen enough to know he's not a starting NFL talent...at all!

Or the coaching staff know how to play to his strengths and he is not asked to cover as we will have 6/7 dbs on the field for the majority, you know as our HC did while DC at the Super Bowl winning team last year? Kiko is excellent at what he does best, I trust the staff to put him in those positions with their scheme.
Love me some Kiko

Well I think everyone can agree that both Raekwon McMillan and Kiko Alonso are horrible in pass coverage. The hope is that this system helps them play to there strengths. For Kiko, he is our best takeaway producer at the LB spot that we've had in the last 30 years. If turnovers win games … he's extremely valuable as a guy who generates and converts takeaways. IMHO, that's by far the biggest impact a LB can have on a game, and one that Kiko's detractors always seem to conveniently ignore. As stats go, takeaways is one of the very most important ones. Talk about sacks, tackles for losses, number of tackles, etc., etc., etc., but one takeaway is worth 3 sacks. If your defense doesn't have people who can generate takeaways, then your defense is bad.

Eventually every player is replaced. Not sure when Kiko's time will come, but when it does, the team needs to have an answer for those takeaways. Because without them, our effectiveness goes down significantly.

It's hilarious to read/hear the distractors say sure he generates plays...BUT..What play has McMillian ever made? Has he ever even had a tackle behind the LOS? Sack? Anything?

McMillan is a back-up at best on a decent team. There's nothing about the guys skillset that suggest he's a starting NFL talent.

We all get Alonso..but McMillians is atrocious if he isn't running down hill against the run or something. The guys is scary slow, bad angles etc in coverage. I don't think i've ever seen a slower LB on our team at that position. The guy makes Dansby look like a 4.4 guy.

I get he was hurt and is still "recovering" but I've seen enough to know he's not a starting NFL talent...at all!

Agreed. I don’t normally waste time reminiscing over past drafts and players we passed up, but it does still irk me that we took him in the 2nd round while ILBs who played much faster on tape were still on the board. Days 1 and 2 of that draft left a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, I hope the light comes on for him this year and he’s able to play faster and more instinctively. I’m hoping the same thing for Harris, but I’m not holding my breath to wait for them to show that they belong at this level.

Agreed. I don’t normally waste time reminiscing over past drafts and players we passed up, but it does still irk me that we took him in the 2nd round while ILBs who played much faster on tape were still on the board. Days 1 and 2 of that draft left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not being sarcastic here but in all the games he's played what "splash" plays has the guy made?

It's hilarious to read/hear the distractors say sure he generates plays...BUT..What play has McMillian ever made? Has he ever even had a tackle behind the LOS? Sack? Anything?
Our LB corps has problems, but none of the three are hard to replace in any aspect with the exception of Kiko's takeaways. That's the one strength of our entire LB corps honestly.

Back
Top Bottom