Ageing + NFL + Boldin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ageing + NFL + Boldin

Asicswrg85

Active Roster
Reaction score
No I would first like to start off by stating that his in not concrete evidence and I am not saying that it proves anything, but it is interesting research done about Football Stats and how it relates to aging players. Now this is a little hard to understand so let me make some points to try to help the understanding: N represents a players age. The total number represents the total number of players surveyed. Better at N+1 represent the number of players out of the total number that improved and Worse at N+1 represents the number that got worse. Finally the percent improved is merely the percent of receivers at that age group that improved the next year.

Next i want to stat that it is important to note that the person who did this study did not include bad receivers or receivers who statistically were not at least average. Also he did the research based on fantasy statistics or simply which naturally does not fully relate to the actual game but is a pretty accurate estimator IMO. I think this is something important to think about when signing players and for example the whole Boldin trading. Using Boldin as an example, according to this guys stats only 39% of receivers improved their stats from age 29-30. Thats something to seriously consider.

PS...Sorry for another Anquan thread but hopefully this will start to make certain people think more clearly about Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano's decisions!

Link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/articles/age.htm

The one thing I did notice is the article is about 10yrs old, unless i missed the joke. Moss is 23? Harrision 28?

That aside, it is evident that the general premise is correct in most cases. Barring the occasional Moss or Owens, most skill players decline as they approach 30.

Back
Top Bottom