Aggiefin21's Mock Draft

AggieFin21

The 12th Man
Reaction score
2006 NFL Mock Draft

By: Aggiefin21

Let me know what you think!

1. Houston Texans: Reggie Bush, RB, USC
Analysis: I fully expect the Texans to do everything possible to try and trade down, though the only apparent possible suitor is the New York Jets and their reported infatuation with Bush’s running mate, Matt Leinart. However, should the Texans not be able to trade down then Bush is the obvious choice. He is the best player in the draft and you just don’t pass on a talent like his.

2. New Orleans Saints: D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
Analysis: The second best player in the draft, and probably the safest pick overall, goes to the Saints at number two. Newly signed QB Drew Brees is going to need all the protection he can get down in New Orleans and Ferguson is just the man to do it. Combined with last year’s pick Jammal Brown, it gives the Saints and very nice looking set of young, talented tackles.

3. Tennessee Titans: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
Analysis: It’s a homecoming of sorts for Leinart who is reunited with his old offensive coordinator in Norm Chow, that is if the Jets don’t move up and make Leinart their new Broadway Joe. It’s really a perfect fit down in Tennessee with McNair on the outs and Billy Volek only really being a top notch back-up. Leinart is the cornerstone to the rebuilding project starting for the Titans.

4. New York Jets: Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina
Analysis: With Leinart off the board the Jets could be very tempted to reach for Vandy QB Jay Cutler here but ultimately are tired of making bad decisions for their franchise and take Williams to replace the departed John Abraham. Williams is big, fast and already drawing comparisons to Julius Peppers without ever playing a down of NFL football.

5. Green Bay Packers: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
Analysis: This is another no brainer. This kid was born to play linebacker. He’s huge, fast and loves to hit. With the cheeseheads losing most of their linebacking core to free agency, Hawk comes in and fills a gaping hole on defense. Mr. Favre to the locker room…Mr. Favre to the locker room….

6. San Francisco 49ers: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
Analysis: So apparently Alex Smith needs someone to throw to if he’s going to be productive. Enter Vernon Davis. He is the reason the combine was created. After his spectacular workout at the combine, his name is on every GM’s lips. Somewhere Alex Smith is smiling.

7. Oakland Raiders: Vince Young, QB, Texas
Analysis: Ok Texas fan, you can breath again. After a slight slip in draft (someone say wonderlic?), the Black Hole and good ol’ Al Davis stay true to form and go with extremely talented yet also ‘iffy QB Vince Young. Kerry Collins is out and since Al Davis is 130 years old he won’t be changing his ways now. This could be the steal of the century or the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Get back to me in three years and I’ll let you know.

8. Buffalo Bills: Brodrick Bunkley, DT, FSU
Analysis: If I’m the Bills GM here, I go with Haloti Ngata. But then again I wouldn’t have put the future of my team in the hands of J.P. Losman and Willis McGahee. Bunkley is another guy who had a very good combine and because of it, the Bills will make him the first DT taken in this year’s draft.

9. Detroit Lions: Michael Huff, S, Texas
Analysis: I know what you are all thinking: Matt Millen is still around; the choice is obviously wide receiver Chad Jackson! Wrong. Millen finally gets something right in the Motor City and picks possibly the best defensive player in the draft. Huff instantaneously upgrades a somewhat suspect Lions defense and provides a very nice compliment to Dre’ Bly.

10. Arizona Cardinals: Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
Analysis: Mr. Cutler is finally done sliding as well and lands right in Dennis Green’s lap, cashing in on his combine workout/hype. If he lives up to his potential, the Cardinals offense could become very, very scary with the likes of Boldin, Fitzgerald and newly acquired running back Edgerrin James surrounding Cutler.

11. St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Williams, S, Virginia Tech
Analysis: With Huff falling just before their pick, Jimmy Williams becomes the heir apparent to departed Adam Archuleta. If Cutler somehow makes it past The Cards then new head coach Scott Linehan could be tempted to take Cutler instead and groom his own quarterback.

12. Cleveland Browns: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State
Analysis: Since the signing of LeCharles Bentley, the biggest need on the team now becomes DE. Hali’s stock has fallen off a little as of late but Romeo Crennel knows how to get the best out of his players, especially on defense.

13. Baltimore Ravens: Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Analysis: They lost Ma’ake Kemoeatu to the Panthers via free agency; not a problem. They best DT in the draft falls to them at #11 and injects some youth into an aging Ravens defense.

14. Philadelphia Eagles: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
Analysis: I was told there was some sort of controversy with a wide receiver in Philadelphia this year, but I guess I must have missed it. With the Eagles saying goodbye and good riddance to T.O., WR becomes a glaring need. Holmes holds off Chad Jackson for the #1 rated receiver in the draft and finds a home in Philly.

15. Denver Broncos: Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
Analysis: Rod Smith is old, like old old. Chad Jackson provides the Pony’s offense with an instant playmaker and a supreme deep threat. Only question is with Jackson running low 4.3s, can Jake Plummer throw it that far? The Broncos do however have two picks in the first round, so moving up for a guy like Vernon Davis isn’t out of the question.

16. Miami Dolphins: Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
Analysis: Expect Nick Saban to be on his hand and knees praying that Michael Huff somehow falls this far. When he doesn’t, the ‘Fins go with their second choice in Greenway. Junior Seau is gone and Zack Thomas won’t be far behind. The linebacker from Iowa steps in and could push for starting time right away.

17. Minnesota Vikings: Ernie Sims, LB, FSU
Analysis: Here’s where I think another trade will occur. I think the Vikings are looking to move down because they need help at many positions. After giving away their franchise QB for little more than a few beaver pelts and some beads, they are left with holes at quarterback, linebacker and wide receiver just to name a few. With all three big name QBs off the board already, the Vikes go with the undersized yet over achieving Sims.

18. Dallas Cowboys: DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
Analysis: Contrary to popular belief and recent signings, the ‘Boys do need help at WR. But with Holmes and Jackson off the board, the Cowboys turn to another glaring need at linebacker. Ryans steps in for the retired Dat Nguyen and should push for starting time immediately. Also, don’t be surprised if safety Ko Simpson is taken here to line up next to Roy Williams.

19. San Diego Chargers: Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
Analysis: The Chargers desperately need help at cornerback and with the likes of Tye Hill and Ashton Youboty still around, they may go in that direction. But with Keenan McKardell beginning to show his age and no one else to speak of in their wide receiving core, the Bolts go with the electric playmaker out of The U. Philip Rivers shouldn’t mind this pick one bit.

20. Kansas City Chiefs: Ashton Youboty, CB, OSU
Analysis: The Chiefs would love to see one of the top three WRs fall to them at #20 but I just don’t think it will happen. So they’ll turn their eyes to a cornerback and will have plenty of top notch picks to choose from. Youboty emerged last year as a leader for the Buckeye’s defense and really stepped up his game. I would expect him to step in and win a starting job along Pat Surtain in training camp.

21. New England Patriots: DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
Analysis: The Patriots have a glaring need at linebacker and in their secondary, so who do they choose? The second best running back in the draft. Bill Bellichek has never been one to do what everyone else would do, so why start now? Fact is Corey Dillon is beginning to show his age and Williams is just the back to come in an eventually replace him. I love this pick!

22. Denver Broncos: Kamerion Wimbley, DE, FSU
Analysis: Trevor Pryce is gone and whether the Broncos will admit it or not, that is a huge loss. Wimbley can step it, start right away and be a factor in Mike Shanahan’s defense. They went offense with their first pick in this round but it wouldn’t surprise me to see them look at a tight end like Leonard Pope with this pick. Still, I think Wimbley fills a bigger need.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Winston Justice, T, USC
Analysis: How happy is Jon Gruden to see Justice fall this far, not to mention last year’s first round pick Carnell Williams? Ecstatic! The Bucs’ line has more holes than a block of swiss cheese and Justice fills a huge one. He’ll start as soon as he puts on the hat on draft day.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Leonard Pope, TE, Georga
Analysis: It’s a horse race between Pope and Marcedes Lewis here, but Pope is the pick. Marvin Lewis might look for safety help in the form of Donte Whitner but Pope is too good to pass up. The more targets for Carson Palmer the better. And if he can take some heat off of Chad Johnson, the Bengals could be looking to hang a lot of points on opposing teams.

25. New York Giants: Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
Analysis: Again, the Giants are desperately hoping that a top three wide receiver falls to them to provide depth behind Burress and Toomer. But with all three off the board, they go with the best available linebacker in Howard to fill their need at that position.

26. Chicago Bears: Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
Analysis: Well they’ve already got a pretty good defense, but down count out a guy like Ko Simpson going here. Still, I think Lovie Smith works to improve his offense, takes Lewis and tries to open up his offense for Benson and whoever will be quarterbacking the Bears from week to week.

27. Carolina Panthers: Bobby Carpenter, LB, OSU
Analysis: The jury is still out on last year’s pick Thomas Davis and whether or not he can be a full time starter at safety. There was talk of moving him to linebacker, but with Carpenter still on the board, John Fox takes him at #27 and gives Davis another year to adjust to the game.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
Analysis: The Jags do have a need at linebacker as well but Simpson is just too good to pass on. He can step in and immediately take over the starting role of either safety position. Abdul Hodge could also be a possibility here.

29. New York Jets: Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
Analysis: I still fully expect the Jets to use both their first round picks to move up and get Leinart. But after filling their need on defense with their first pick, the Jets look to find an heir to Curtis Martin. Maroney is that man. He’ll learn from Martin for a year or so then take the starting job.

30. Indianapolis Colts: D’Qwell Jackson, LB, Maryland
Analysis: They really wanted Maroney or DeAngelo Williams to fall to them as a replacement for the long gone Edgerrin James, but they’ll be stuck with Dominic Rhodes all year long. Rob Morris’ production has been steadily declining over the years so the Colts will go with Jackson who, if nothing else, provides more depth to a vastly improved Colts defense.

31. Seattle Seahawks: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
Analysis: The Seahawks also enter the running for steal of the draft with Tye Hill falling to them at #31. Hill could possibly be the best cornerback in the draft and will provide the ‘Hawks with a pair of extremely talented young cornerbacks. With Steve Hutchinson gone to the ‘Vikes, Max Jean-Giles could be a surprise pick here as well.

32. Pittsburg Steelers: Nick Mangold, C, OSU
Analysis: Probably the easiest pick of the draft. Jeff Hartings is gone and lets face it, they’re the Super Bowls Champions so they’ve got a pretty solid team. Mangold starts from day one and I don’t see the Steelers missing a beat as the march into next season.

way to high on alot of picks. justice is a top 12 talent and may not make it out of the top ten. moss is way to high. jimmy williams wont go top 12.

No Manny Lawson? Like the Greenway pick though.

motioncityhifi said:
way to high on alot of picks. justice is a top 12 talent and may not make it out of the top ten. moss is way to high. jimmy williams wont go top 12.

I don't doubt Justice's talent but the Cards are really the only team with legitimate OL needs that early in the draft. But with Cutler still on the board, I don't see them passing on him.

AggieFin21 said:
I don't doubt Justice's talent but the Cards are really the only team with legitimate OL needs that early in the draft. But with Cutler still on the board, I don't see them passing on him.

well other teams that are looking hard include buffalo, philadelphia, detroit and baltimore. i really doubt that philadelphia, if he is there, lets him get by them.

AggieFin21 said:

Buffalo!

Disagree with a good bit of it personally. Not a big fan of Greenway. Swap Cutler and Young.

11. St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Williams, S, Virginia Tech

- To early for Williams IMO-

12. Cleveland Browns: Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State

-WAY to early for Hali, I believe this guy has slipped into the mid to late second round-

20. Kansas City Chiefs: Ashton Youboty, CB, OSU

-a little to early for this guy... seems a lot of OSU fans arn't to high on this guy, wich in my experiance is weird because your hard pressed to find many OSU fans dog on there own.-

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Winston Justice, T, USC

-way way wyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to late for this guy to go. after his pro day I see him going between 8-12

25. New York Giants: Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP

-not a huge problem with this pick but, I think Lawson will get picked before Howard-

motioncityhifi said:

Yep i agreem and oh yea Aggie dude, IM A UT FAN :lol:

Back
Top Bottom