Aikman A Dolphin???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aikman A Dolphin????

Amen FFiB

There is no one out there this year, too Miller will probably stay w/bears and Dilfer w/Hawks that leaves Gus Ferrotte - so soon you guys - Jay haters or not - will be hoping we can re-sign him.

Rude - didn't you mean "You guys should take Rob Johnson. Please. "

Re: Amen FFiB

Originally posted by dolphan39
There is no one out there this year, too Miller will probably stay w/bears and Dilfer w/Hawks that leaves Gus Ferrotte - so soon you guys - Jay haters or not - will be hoping we can re-sign him.

Rude - didn't you mean "You guys should take Rob Johnson. Please. "

D39.

The biggest problem we as Dolfan have is that we are spoiled of having 17 years of watching the master at QB.

The smallest mistake by a QB now in a Dolphins uniform will be escalated into a "world ending" scenario.

Most teams struggle after retiring a QB like marino. Look at the Bills. They are still in limbo at QB. Denver? Well Griese gives them some hope but even with him at QB he needs to have all the right pieces at WR and RB. Look at Griese this year with McAffrey out and TD for portions of the season out.

Marino, Kelly, Elway could throw to anybody in a uniform.

Fiedler is right there where almost every QB is right now. The only thing what hurts him are his early INTs in the season.

At this point I wouldn't mind Fiedler as a stop gap until we will find our next "franchise QB". I am not a fan of just tossing somebody out just because.....

Fiedler has over 3,000 yards this season, 20 TDs passing, 4 TDs rushing. If Gailey would stop that stupid Lucas crap he would have had more TDs either passing or rushing.

I do not think that Fiedler will be our future QB but there is nothing else out there which would have made sense to persue.

Brad Johnson has a 6 million dollar tag and is not much better, Grbac 5 million, Green 5 million, Hasselbeck forced the Hawks to renegotiate.......

Fiedler was brought here to be the caretaker not the playmaker. We were supposed to be a run first O on a team which relies heavily on D and ST. This season with the running game dissappearing we looked almost like the Dolphins between 1984 and 1999....minus Dan. Dan couldn't do it without a running game and sure Fiedler can't do it. Heck, Elway won his Superbowls with the arrival of a running game in Denver.

I think Fiedler does get a little bit of unfair rap. Yeah, he has shortcomings but he also has a lot of pluses.

He improved in every statistical category except INTs. Even there he improved over the last 7 games (4 INTs while throwing for 11 TDs).

He has done this year where everybody said he would fail...carry this team in a lot of games.....if he stays on path of the last 7 games and if we just show the resemblence of a running game we could have the most exciting playoff season in some 18 years.

I would love to keep Fiedler - and who knows maybe Cade can live up to that #1 pick potential - he is still real young.

You know D39

Originally posted by dolphan39
I would love to keep Fiedler - and who knows maybe Cade can live up to that #1 pick potential - he is still real young.

I said in the beginning of the year that our future QB may not be on the roster yet.

But after I heard that Cade picks up the O very well, and seeing how he is always around Fiedler and Gailey during the games and the times I played "peecka-boo" at the facility I must say he may be what we need.

He was thrown into the fire in Chicago with no chance to develop plus he screwed up in his personal life.

Lets see if he matured and what he can do in offseason. He may be our #2 or #1 by next year.

If Fiedler looks half-way decent in the playoffs I believe the new OC will keep Fiedler, dump Lucas, move Cade into #2 before camp and will look for a #3 via FA or draft.

Bledsoe will most likely go to Houston in the expansion draft.

Also what could happen is that the new OC may look for a veteran QB as a backup for leadership and grooming Cade.

Fiedler will be here next year unless he opts out....
Cade will be here as well......
Lucas is a goner....

Re: Re: Amen FFiB

Originally posted by FFiB
Marino, Kelly, Elway could throw to anybody in a uniform.

So can Fiedler! :) I just wish he would focus more on throwing to uniforms with the Dolphins logo on it. :mad:

Re: Re: Re: Amen FFiB

Originally posted by miadphan13
So can Fiedler! :) I just wish he would focus more on throwing to uniforms with the Dolphins logo on it. :mad:
If he doesn't 2 days from now, he may/will not be back :mad:

Re: Re: Re: Amen FFiB

Originally posted by miadphan13

Well he has done just that in the last 7 games.

11TDs, 4 INTs, some 1300 yards, ran for another couple TDs, rating somewhere in the 90s and his completion rate was somewhere in the high 60s (65% or so).

3 of those INTs were in the SF game and two of those came in grabage time when the team forced a score.

The only game this season where he was bad from the start to the end was the NY Jets game (second one). Yet the Jets D was sparked not by an INT directly from Fiedler...it was a bobbled catch by McKnight.

Anyways, my problem with Fiedler was that he was very streaky. He started out hot and ended lame or the other way around.

3 games where our O performed up to par (no Fiedler mistakes, and a running game)....TN, Indy and Bills....

If we hit on all cylinders we should breeze through the playoffs....but we have done that only 3 times this season. We showed flashes of it (i.e. 1st half in NY, 4th quarters in Buffalo, in Seattle etc).

This year is different than last year. Last year we were limping into the playoffs and Fiedler (injured) hit his INT streak. It seems reversed this year.

We reduced turnovers (yet we had a couple critical ones in NE) and we begin to take the ball away.

Since I came to the US in 1988 I've been going to the games, holding season tickets since 1989....for some reason I feel more confident than ever before.

Aikman to the Dolphins? Now theres an appealing thought.. My wife is as big of an Aikman fan as I am a Marino Fan, and seeing Troy Aikman in Aqua and Orange may fully convert my wife to the Dolphin Ship for good... However as much as Id love to see my wife jump from the Cowboy ship to the Dolphin Express, I don't ever forsee Aikman as a Miami Dolphin. He has had far too many concussions over his career, and realistically from all reports Ive heard, hes enjoying the benefits of retired life.. Stranger things have happened, but still I can't forsee Aikman playing for anyone other than Dallas no more than I can see Dan playing for anyone but Miami.

If Aikman or Johnson come to Miami next year, I will become a full time crack head, as opposed to a part time goof ball.:goof:

Re: You know D39

Originally posted by FFiB

Bledsoe will most likely go to Houston in the expansion draft.

Also what could happen is that the new OC may look for a veteran QB as a backup for leadership and grooming Cade.

Fiedler will be here next year unless he opts out....
Cade will be here as well......
Lucas is a goner....

Bledsoe most likely won't wind up in Houston.. He will be left unprotected don't get me wrong, but usually in expansion drafts, the team (teams) drafting usually stray away from the high priced veterans and usually tend to go after the younger, less costly players that usually are pining it with other teams. Bledsoe is either going to wind up with the Redskins or the Bears (Thats my prediction anyhow). I wouldn't be too surprised to see Lucas in Houston however. I doubt that he will be back in Miami next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets unprotected and picked up by the Texans to groom David Carr or Harrington, who I think they will pick up in the Draft.

As for them getting a veteran QB, there really aren't too many available that impress me all that much. Jim Miller has looked good at times in a back up role, but realistically he isn't going to do much more for Miami than Fiedler would. Ferrotte is a backup at best. Dilfer is going to be available since Holmgren seemingly has his head inserted up Matt Hasslebecks posterior and he has invested a load of money in the kid for him to be the "QB of the Future". However I don't really think Trent is the right fit for Miami and Vice Versa. He's a lot like Miller.. Good in the back up role where there are no expectations, but when put in the full time starter role looks like crap. Bledsoe won't be dealt to Miami, New England isn't going to try to help the Dolphins any more than they necessarily have to. Plus I don't see the Dolphins compromising their salary cap to bring Bledsoe in. Realistically, the Phins have three concieveable (sp) options.

1) Stick it out with Fiedler and hope that he continues to improve on the finer aspects of his game while eliminating the mistakes he tends to make. I know a lot of you have more or less wrote Fiedler off for a wash, but he does have some qualities that make him a qb worth keeping. He's got a keen mind for the game (yes he does make some rather questionable passes/play calls but what QB in the NFL doesn't?). He has a lot of guts, as seen in the Raider game from earlier in the season where he ran in the game winning touchdown. He also has the mobility to avoid would be tacklers.

2) Drop Fiedler, pick up one of the lesser profile QBs in the draft (George Godfrey of Georgia Tech, Rohan Davey of LSU and Major Applewhite of Texas are a few names who come to mind), pick up a Gus Ferrotte and let the two and Cade McNown slug it out for the starting job as QB. If all three fail, hope for the Dolphin brass to either make a trade to get a high draft pick or hope that Ken Dorsey or Rex Grossman fall in to our laps like Marino did.

3) Keep Fiedler but put the starting gig up for grabs, and give McNown a long look in training camp like has been done for the last three training camps (Last year Damon Huard and this year Ray Lucas were given long looks before Fiedler was finally given the nod)

Im sure there are other options that I didn't discuss, but irregardless, until the Dolphins do something with that dreadful O Line, it won't matter who the QB is. The results will be the same.

Originally posted by Dolphins13Fan
Aikman to the Dolphins? Now theres an appealing thought.. My wife is as big of an Aikman fan as I am a Marino Fan, and seeing Troy Aikman in Aqua and Orange may fully convert my wife to the Dolphin Ship for good... However as much as Id love to see my wife jump from the Cowboy ship to the Dolphin Express, I don't ever forsee Aikman as a Miami Dolphin. He has had far too many concussions over his career, and realistically from all reports Ive heard, hes enjoying the benefits of retired life.. Stranger things have happened, but still I can't forsee Aikman playing for anyone other than Dallas no more than I can see Dan playing for anyone but Miami.

Aikman wasn't ready to retire last year, and he told espn over the weekend if he has the chance to play in a familliar offense he would think seriously about comming back. I would only thin this would be a good idea if Jay demands to much $(and has a horible playoff game), if we put our o-line back to gether this off season, and Troy was fealing good, and has a good work out. I would just feal more comfortable w/Troy back there handing the ball off 30 times a game, and throwing 20 passes w/the pinpoint accuracy that he has showed his whole carreer. I think Cade will be the man, but w/a new o-cordinator comming in I would rahter see him wait 1 more year.

Also I am sure the front office would like this idea since if nothing else he would put some buts in the seats. That is what this team has been missing more than anything since Dan left, some star power on offense to draw a crowd. I don't mind Jay, but the only people that are passionate about Jay are the people that want him out of Miami.

Back
Top Bottom