Akeem Spence Is No Ndamukong Suh. And Why That Might Be A Good Thing. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akeem Spence Is No Ndamukong Suh. And Why That Might Be A Good Thing.

Suh is an enigma to me. In Detroit is was rated as one of if not the top DE and the defense was supposed to be great every year and never really was. In Miami he was rated one of the top 3 DTs in the league and his play also reflected that and while Miami had deficiencies it was expected that the defense should be good with Suh and co. on the front line.

Never has a Suh lead defense been great. There are a few good years sprinkled in there but never great. It makes you question if Suh is good for a defense simply because he occupies resources that make it hard to address other fundamental needs.

It was not Suhs' fault that teams were willing to pay so much. It was based on a problem that decision makers do not often face and because of that, often lose sight of the overall requirements of a team.

No amount of extraordinary play from a single individual can compensate for good, solid play from a team of individuals along with some good game day planning. Take the Patriots for instance. Their team makes the player more than a player makes the team. They have done this successfully for over a decade.

Suh is a great player and played great while he was here for us, despite how people try to make it look now that we cut him.

With that said, I much prefer having a rotation the way we do now at DT.

He's a sensational player, no doubt. Hall of fame caliber talent. We would've been even better if he had two of him let alone just the one. Count me in the group of people who thought we were going to keep him.

Surely a 6-10 team releasing arguably their best player looks scary on the surface. In actuality the Dolphins were able to sure up virtually every unit on their team with the added cash as Suh essentially was earning the money of 4-5 starters.

He was/is a mercenary. He's the CEO of Suh Inc. That's his team. Nothing wrong with that and there is a good chance it could pay off big for LAR who are getting him a closer to value salary. I'll root for him/them, Goff is fun to watch. He's a prototype.

I'm more intrigued by the return or addition of Ryan Tannehill, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Robert Quinn, Frank Gore, Raekwon McMillan, Jerome Baker, Josh Sitton, Danny Amendola, Tony Lippett, Albert Wilson, Mike Gesicki and Kalen Ballage than I am concerned with the departure's of 93, 51 or 14.

At the end of the day, team building is as much about finding the right combination of players as it is finding the most talented overall players.

I don't care all that much if we lack a lot of push from the DT's, All I want is for us to be able to stop them on 3rd and 2 or 3 and they run the ball...if we can't do that then we should of invested more into the position.

2013 Seahawks D was elite, you stingy bastard.

2006 Bears D was soooo close too. That group would've rode Grossman to a SB if not for the injuries. Harris (who had the most dominant season from a DT that I've ever seen besides for maybe Jenkins in his early Panther days) and Brown were back breakers ... Vasher, Peanut, Ogunleye, etc didn't help either. Healthy and they get lumped in with the Ravens and Bucs teams that won because of the D.

Suh is a total enigma. We'll never know what 'could've been' because he was never put in a great position to succeed. There's a certain QB that's been lead down that same path.

Both were great but not Elite in my opinion.

It was not Suhs' fault that teams were willing to pay so much. It was based on a problem that decision makers do not often face and because of that, often lose sight of the overall requirements of a team.

No amount of extraordinary play from a single individual can compensate for good, solid play from a team of individuals along with some good game day planning. Take the Patriots for instance. Their team makes the player more than a player makes the team. They have done this successfully for over a decade.

which is why Suh has zero rings and Brady has 5. Love it or hate it the Pat's philosophy works. Pay a small core of guys slightly higher pay and then use average talent to win. It is frustrating that is hasn't blown up in their faces yet.

I betcha that teams game planned to deal with Suh every week. He made them do things that they may not want to do because he was dominant. Unfortunately we had such weaknesses in defending the quick passing attack and matching up LBs in coverage (and I'd argue a lack of a true FS), that offenses could execute consistently regardless of Suh's play.

And...these weaknesses were not somehow because we could not sign big $$ FAs due to Suh's salary. They were because we busted when we signed our LBs for the next decade with Ellerbe and Wheeler, vastly overrated (IMO) Kiko and not drafting (until, hopefully, McMillian) adequate players to address the weaknesses. Hopefully this has changes with McMillian, Baker and Fitz.

I get that there was financial decision to move on from Suh and perhaps some frustration with his freelancing , but he was a helluva player who played an insane % of plays for a DT.

I was hoping the Suh playing for Miami was the one playing against Miami when he was at Detroit. He completely crushed our crappy interior line over and over.
I would have loved to see that happen to the Cheatriots

Suh is an enigma to me. In Detroit is was rated as one of if not the top DE and the defense was supposed to be great every year and never really was. In Miami he was rated one of the top 3 DTs in the league and his play also reflected that and while Miami had deficiencies it was expected that the defense should be good with Suh and co. on the front line.

Never has a Suh lead defense been great. There are a few good years sprinkled in there but never great. It makes you question if Suh is good for a defense simply because he occupies resources that make it hard to address other fundamental needs.

Nail. Head.

And btw, his pay reflected a QB in Miami. Not a Top 3 DT. He might be a specimen with unbelievable skillset, but DT is just one of those positions that should NEVER be overpaid. We were paying Suh more than a DE and we barely got the same sack numbers. In addition, our Run D was nothing impressive.

I was always astonished how people ignored his real contribution to the D while marveling at how "great" he was. There was so much wrong with his salary that fans were forced into justifying it without scrutiny. No DT is worth that much money.

It's the biggest gamble of the offseason. My biggest concern is the run defense. I think the defense is built to play with a lead, but I don't know if Miami will be able to stop the run.

The good news is that the offense should be better so maybe the Dolphins will actually have some leads to play with.

I just hope its not like 2yrs ago with the false bravado of the guard position, only to waste a year and finally patch up the line.

There are a lot of genuine reasons to be cautiously optimistic about the direction this team is going but Akeem Spence certainly isn't one of them, and the interior of the DL is looking like a weak link that could break the chain completely.

BR had him ranked 67th last year among DT's and I don't know what PFF had him at but it was probably worse.

I do not understand why anyone has hope in this guy contributing. I would look to Taylor,Phillips and Godchaux improving as a little bit of light, that is realistic, but Spence has been in the league awhile, and he just isn't good. We may be better off hoping Jamiyus Pittman surprises and makes the 53.

H
Suh is an enigma to me. In Detroit he was rated as one of, if not the top DE and the defense was supposed to be great every year and never really was. In Miami he was rated one of the top 3 DTs in the league and his play also reflected that and while Miami had deficiencies it was expected that the defense should be good with Suh and co. on the front line.

He'll tear it up in St Louis next to McDonald.

Back
Top Bottom